PDA

View Full Version : Question

frankym
07-27-2009, 3:06 PM
Someone who is not me's (now reffered to as SWIM) Father was given a Sig Sauer p228 around the year 2000 in exchange for rent that was not paid, with no FFL transfer. What is the correct course of action for SWIM's father to make everything legal? What are the the consequences if SWIM's father or SWIM himself are caught with the handgun?

forgiven
07-27-2009, 6:22 PM
:Ivan: How much is the balance due?:43:

Fjold
07-27-2009, 6:41 PM
SWIM can fill out the intrafamiliar transfer form and send it in to the DOJ since his father just gave it to him.

M1A Rifleman
07-27-2009, 7:35 PM
Except, P228's originally were sold with 13 rnd mags. As I have forgotten when the CA mag ban went into effect was it before or after 2000, I suppose it may be a good idea to check this out.

Irrational Voice
07-27-2009, 7:42 PM
Whoever owns the firearm should get it registered. If SWIM owns it he should go ahead and fill out an oplaw. If SWIM's father wants to keep the gun for now a volreg should do the trick. As far as the 13 rd. magazine goes statute of limitations has long run out so just keep and use the magazines if SWIMdad has them. If SWIMdad is giving gun to SWIM then SWIMdad must neuter the magazines prior to transfer to stay within the law.

M1A Rifleman
07-28-2009, 8:14 AM
Whoever owns the firearm should get it registered. If SWIM owns it he should go ahead and fill out an oplaw. If SWIM's father wants to keep the gun for now a volreg should do the trick. As far as the 13 rd. magazine goes statute of limitations has long run out so just keep and use the magazines if SWIMdad has them. If SWIMdad is giving gun to SWIM then SWIMdad must neuter the magazines prior to transfer to stay within the law.

There is no "statue of limitations" for illegal possession of high cap mags. They are illegal to give, sell, trade , etc after the date of the mag ban. Check the ban date, and if he has the 13rnders, get some tens and dispose of the 13's.

Adonlude
07-28-2009, 8:53 AM
There is no such thing as "illegal possession of high cap mags". Possession is not regulated. If the crime of transfer was committed in 2000 and no law enforcement officer was there to see it did it ever really happen? You have them now, enjoy them, and the response to any and all questioning regarding the mags is "I had them before the ban".

Army
07-28-2009, 12:06 PM
You must have meant that he got the gun in 1999 :)

tazmanian devil dog
07-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Just leave the mags alone. Don't make a big deal out of a big nothing.

frankym
07-28-2009, 2:43 PM
SWIM actually has a 16 round mag and 10 round mag, mags aren't a big deal to him, he just wants the gun to be registered to him legally ...

i'm sure SWIM really appreciates your help, thanks guys