PDA

View Full Version : Disassembled Handgun in BOB in Vehical Legalites?

aermotor
07-27-2009, 2:52 PM
It would be nice to keep my extra FNP-40 in my Bug Out Bag in my car, field stripped, but I'm not sure that's going to fly legally is it? Maybe if I've got the frame in the bag and the slide somewhere else? I don't really know, but it'd be nice to have it like that. I'd also have a few loaded mags.

Anyone know a PC or something relating to this? Thanks guys.

aplinker
07-27-2009, 2:59 PM
Just put it in a locked bag. Use a padlock with an easy combo.

A gun rug with double zippers & a padlock through it is perfect.

Librarian
07-27-2009, 3:03 PM
... and don't bother to disassemble it. Still a concealed weapon when broken down, so there's no point.

But in a locked bag, riding in your trunk - you're OK if you stay out of restricted areas (school property, most commonly).

Flopper
07-27-2009, 3:05 PM
You can even have loaded mags in the same locked container or trunk, as long as the mags aren't in the mag well.

CHS
07-27-2009, 3:09 PM
Get a secure-it container that has the combo lock. It will fit your firearm and a couple loaded mags and keep you legal. You won't have to disassemble anything and there is no key to lose. Just have the combo be 1-digit off to keep the container locked but with quick access.

These things are inexpensive and awesome. I really love mine.

Secure-it handgun lock box (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602007-cat601047-cat20772_TGP&id=0045006229676a&navCount=1&podId=0045006&parentId=cat20772&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=QZ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20772&hasJS=true)

I've got the large one. It will hold a full-size 1911 and a couple of loaded 8rd mags with baseplates.

aermotor
07-27-2009, 3:12 PM
Yea good call guys, I'll just buy a small gun rug type container, lock it and throw it in my bag. Is that fine to have an transport pretty much anywhere or is it only supposed to be to-from a range? Would the only off-limits place to have this is in school parking lots etc?

I live right by a school so I'm used to having evetything lock and unloaded while traveling, but will keep mags ready to go in the same bag. Thanks for the suggestions.

Great looking solution bdsmchs

hvengel
07-27-2009, 4:21 PM
Yea good call guys, I'll just buy a small gun rug type container, lock it and throw it in my bag. Is that fine to have an transport pretty much anywhere or is it only supposed to be to-from a range? Would the only off-limits place to have this is in school parking lots etc?

I live right by a school so I'm used to having evetything lock and unloaded while traveling, but will keep mags ready to go in the same bag. Thanks for the suggestions.

Great looking solution bdsmchs

This good anywhere and anytime. The to-from range thing is only for RAW.

Flopper
07-27-2009, 4:37 PM
Is that fine to have an transport pretty much anywhere or is it only supposed to be to-from a range? Would the only off-limits place to have this is in school parking lots etc?

There is only a specific destination rule for Registered Assault Weapons (does that mean there isn't one for un-Registered Assault Weapons? :rolleyes:)

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.php

Booshanky
07-27-2009, 4:38 PM
Get a secure-it container that has the combo lock. It will fit your firearm and a couple loaded mags and keep you legal. You won't have to disassemble anything and there is no key to lose. Just have the combo be 1-digit off to keep the container locked but with quick access.

These things are inexpensive and awesome. I really love mine.

Secure-it handgun lock box (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602007-cat601047-cat20772_TGP&id=0045006229676a&navCount=1&podId=0045006&parentId=cat20772&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=QZ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20772&hasJS=true)

I've got the large one. It will hold a full-size 1911 and a couple of loaded 8rd mags with baseplates.

Is it legal to have that kept under the seat of your car all the time? Or would it still have to be kept in the trunk?

CHS
07-27-2009, 4:52 PM
Is it legal to have that kept under the seat of your car all the time? Or would it still have to be kept in the trunk?

Under the seat would be fine as long as it's locked and the gun unloaded.

CHS
07-27-2009, 4:52 PM
There is only a specific destination rule for Registered Assault Weapons (does that mean there isn't one for un-Registered Assault Weapons? :rolleyes:)

Transporting unregistered AW's is a felony :) Destination doesn't matter :)

Booshanky
07-27-2009, 4:59 PM
Under the seat would be fine as long as it's locked and the gun unloaded.

So a gun kept with an empty magwell, with a few loaded mags placed beside it, in that case locked under the seat would be legal? Would it be permissible to leave it there indefinitely or would it only be ok if I was going to or from a range?

CHS
07-27-2009, 5:02 PM
So a gun kept with an empty magwell, with a few loaded mags placed beside it, in that case locked under the seat would be legal? Would it be permissible to leave it there indefinitely or would it only be ok if I was going to or from a range?

As long as it's kept in a fully-enclosed locked container, then yes it's perfectly legal.

And like was already said in this thread, there's no law regarding specific destination requirements for normal legal handguns.

aermotor
07-27-2009, 5:12 PM
Freaking awesome, thanks guys!

jkchan83
07-27-2009, 5:37 PM
But in a locked bag, riding in your trunk - you're OK if you stay out of restricted areas (school property, most commonly).

Would the only off-limits place to have this is in school parking lots etc?

I didn't see this point answered and I have similar concerns. I live right by a high school and also drive onto and through a university campus regularly.

How does locked container vehicle carry work in "restricted areas" like 1000' school radius or on college campuses?

aplinker
07-27-2009, 5:56 PM
I didn't see this point answered and I have similar concerns. I live right by a high school and also drive onto and through a university campus regularly.

How does locked container vehicle carry work in "restricted areas" like 1000' school radius or on college campuses?

You're ok in school zones, not on a college campus.

l_Z_l
07-27-2009, 6:10 PM

keep it locked in ur car and drive around the school?

I sometimes keep a bag w/ a key lock, I really should look into a combo locked box though

Librarian
07-27-2009, 6:54 PM
keep it locked in ur car and drive around the school?

I sometimes keep a bag w/ a key lock, I really should look into a combo locked box though

"around" as in "never crossing the property boundary to enter the campus".

Locked case, unloaded is fine driving through school ZONES but not ON school property.

tombinghamthegreat
07-28-2009, 2:18 AM
Just as a side note you can have the handgun in a locked container to avoid concealing a handgun(PC12025) or the gun has to be open carried/plain sight, if you open carry then have to worry about school zones. 12025 only applies to handguns, not long guns;) ammo/loaded mags+ gun can be in the same container, since it does not violate PC12031. There is a lot of FUD so any future questions post them on here.

M. Sage
07-28-2009, 4:55 AM

Unloaded pistol in a locked case sitting on your lap is legal. The law says nada on where the pistol is, so long as it's in a locked container.

AJAX22
07-28-2009, 5:40 AM
Unloaded pistol in a locked case sitting on your lap is legal. The law says nada on where the pistol is, so long as it's in a locked container.

An unloaded/unlocked rifle sitting in your LAP with a loaded magazine in your HAND is legal.

:D

Its just not as handy to use from inside a car.

Decoligny
07-28-2009, 8:54 AM
My handguns stay accessible at all times. Center-of-Mass gun safe (same as the secure-it box) under the front seat, when not open-carrying.

Depending upon the focus of you BOB and the area you intend to Bug-Out to, if it is a more rural area I would consider something along the lines of the Henry survival rifle.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm
http://world.guns.ru/civil/ar7-3.jpg

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/henry_survivalsilver.jpg

CHS
07-28-2009, 9:02 AM

Especially if you drive a manual :)

PatriotnMore
07-28-2009, 9:06 AM

If you're going to leave it in your car under your seat, I would suggest running the cable lock around the seats frame, so if it is broken into, they can't do a two second grab and dash.

Flopper
07-28-2009, 9:52 AM
An unloaded/unlocked rifle sitting in your LAP with a loaded magazine in your HAND is legal.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I think even an unloaded/unlocked, UNCONCEALED handgun in your lap with a loaded mag in your hand is also legal.

AJAX22
07-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I think even an unloaded/unlocked, UNCONCEALED handgun in your lap with a loaded mag in your hand is also legal.

There may be local issues with that...

but for the most part I believe that is true.

Decoligny
07-28-2009, 12:36 PM
There may be local issues with that...

but for the most part I believe that is true.

The only "local" issues with that would be if you are in the "local" area (within 1,000 feet) of a K-12 School.

M. Sage
07-28-2009, 10:36 PM

:D

Actually, if it's my lap in particular that you're talking about, a loaded, folding-stock AK laying across my lap while I drive is legal. Just highly impractical on a motorcycle... which is what slings are for. :chris:

The only "local" issues with that would be if you are in the "local" area (within 1,000 feet) of a K-12 School.

And those apply equally to a rifle.

aermotor
07-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Picked up a few of these in Tan for a great price: http://www.tacticaltailor.com/gunrug.aspx

WeekendWarrior
07-29-2009, 2:50 PM
Does a locked trunk count as a locked container? My trunk has no way of being opened without a key from the outside of the car. You jhave to either pop it open with a button in the car or use the key.

Librarian
07-29-2009, 3:07 PM
Does a locked trunk count as a locked container? My trunk has no way of being opened without a key from the outside of the car. You jhave to either pop it open with a button in the car or use the key.

Yes.

But if you ever need to move a firearm across public property - for example, from the curb in front of your house to your house - you probably would find a separate case to be convenient.