PDA

View Full Version : Funny Question

frankym
07-27-2009, 1:47 PM
Have you ever (or are you allowed to) pull over public transit buses. They tend to drive like *******s, at least in LA (merging into you to switch lanes, driving in more than one lane etc) I just always wondered if LE has ever done anything about their stupidity

Ron-Solo
07-27-2009, 1:51 PM
Yes, I've issued many cites to various transit but drivers. Makes them really mad, but as you pointed out, some of them drive very poorly.

trapshot68
07-27-2009, 2:06 PM
This is probably geared more towards CHP, but:

What about those transit busses on the freeway and in the carpool lane. I mean, they can only go max 55, but there they are holding up the carpool lane........

Can one call the bus agency, or CHP or are they allowed to do it since they are "carpooling"

ke6guj
07-27-2009, 2:11 PM
IIRC, coming out of LA east on the 10, the carpool lane ends in a bus transit lot of some sort. So, I'd assume it has to be legal for them to be in the carpool lane, otherwise, why would the entrace to the lot be accessable from the carpool lane.

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freewaymgmt/faq.htm#faq1

looks like they are HOV lanes,for buses, cars (with the appropriate number of people), and motorcycles.

Fire in the Hole
07-27-2009, 2:11 PM
This is probably geared more towards CHP, but:

What about those transit busses on the freeway and in the carpool lane. I mean, they can only go max 55, but there they are holding up the carpool lane........

Can one call the bus agency, or CHP or are they allowed to do it since they are "carpooling"

The can lawfully use this lane at 55 mph.

Jonathan Doe
07-27-2009, 2:18 PM
The carpool lane is designated for the cars with more than 2 people. And, there is no speed restrictions. I guess the buses qualify as carpool vehicles.

Fire in the Hole
07-27-2009, 2:24 PM
The exemption I always hated was the mom driving her one or two or three-year-old child to day care in the car pool lane on her way two work. As if the kid shares the driving duties. But the law does say two or more per vehicle, so they get to use it. I remember when motorcycles were not exempt, and had to have a passenger to use the on-ramp lane or car pool lane.

tyrist
07-27-2009, 2:54 PM
I have done traffic stops on them because they deserve it. I have also had to do traffic collisions investigations on them as well. The drivers seem to think if they honk the horn it's okay to just run the red light.