PDA

View Full Version : May be a weird question but

epic4444
07-27-2009, 12:48 PM
does anyone here have a gunshop or gunsmith professional clean there gun from time to time? i was thinking bout having my tomcat only be cleaned professionally since the last time i did it myself the little safety plunger disappeared and i had to order another...so i thought why not just pay someone who is professionally equipped do it and i dont have to worry about stupid little mistakes...and im not talking about all my guns i have several glocks and kahrs and ruger i do myself no problem...im mostly refering to small hard to clean guns like seecamp and berettas (and please dont try to give me taking pride in my firearms because i take plenty of pride in my guns but if someone is more capable why not let them help me out)

B Strong
07-27-2009, 1:02 PM
does anyone here have a gunshop or gunsmith professional clean there gun from time to time? i was thinking bout having my tomcat only be cleaned professionally since the last time i did it myself the little safety plunger disappeared and i had to order another...so i thought why not just pay someone who is professionally equipped do it and i dont have to worry about stupid little mistakes...and im not talking about all my guns i have several glocks and kahrs and ruger i do myself no problem...im mostly refering to small hard to clean guns like seecamp and berettas (and please dont try to give me taking pride in my firearms because i take plenty of pride in my guns but if someone is more capable why not let them help me out)

You certainly could take it to a shop, but there would be a great deal of utility in you taking the time to learn how to fully strip, clean and reassemble your pistol.

If I can do it with a HK P7M8 or a broomhandle Mauser, you can with the Beretta

hybridatsun350
07-27-2009, 1:06 PM
I've never had someone else clean my guns, but if you feel that it is best someone else does it then have it done. Ever detail stripped a P-08? All kinds of fun little parts in there! :D

VegasND
07-27-2009, 1:07 PM
How much are you willing to pay?

epic4444
07-27-2009, 2:28 PM
20 to 30...they dont gotta fully take the thing apart...im just not trying to loose any more piece

Decoligny
07-27-2009, 2:39 PM
My Father used to take apart his fishing reels to clean and lube them. He would always lay out a dropcloth and do the work right there on the floor. This ensured that he did not drop any of the tiny parts off of a work table and loose them in the carpet or have them bounce across the floor. Maybe you should try something like that. An old white sheet works wonderfully as a dropcloth. Any parts should show up against the sheet.

Crazed_SS
07-27-2009, 2:42 PM
Project 2000 here in SD County will clean guns for a price.. never inquired about how much though

Z ME FLY
07-27-2009, 2:44 PM
One suggestion is that you pay the person but you watch also so you can learn after a few times.

andrewj
07-27-2009, 2:59 PM
Just pay a knowledged local calgunner to teach you. You could probably even pay him in beer form

epic4444
07-27-2009, 7:01 PM
ya i think im going to have someone clean it and show me how...im getting a seecamp soon and will def. want someone to show me how to do that one

xxdabroxx
07-28-2009, 9:23 AM
knowledge IS power! Learn to do it yourself, it will be much more rewarding. Hell, order a book about them, or dvd.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
07-28-2009, 10:20 AM
If you do take your weapon to someone for cleaning, make sure they are qualified to do the work.

Case(s) in point: At one point, I found myself repairing a number of pistols brought into a shop for cleaning, as the former employee hired to do that had accepted weapons he was not qualified to work on, could not reassemble them, lost parts, etc. Some of them went back to their owners still dissassembled, some went back to the factory for repair/parts, some I was able to repair. It wasn't a pretty picture, and contributed to my leaving that shop soon afterwards.

Better to learn to do it yourself, whether from manuals or the aforementioned knowledgeable Calgunner!

Geo
07-28-2009, 10:43 AM
If you don't have the skill to clean your own weapon, you don't have the skill to own one.

Z ME FLY
07-28-2009, 3:34 PM
If you don't have the skill to clean your own weapon, you don't have the skill to own one.

I wouldn't say that.

lawboy
07-28-2009, 3:42 PM
What makes you think the gun shop personnel will do any better than you, or even as good? From what I have seen in gun shops, big, small, the personnel are uneducated, uninformed, and won't listen. The hacks passing for gunsmiths in most shops I would not let touch my guns. I am not picking on gun shops. This is true of all types of service for goods -- cars, home appliances, you name it. Working on guns requires understanding. Understanding requires study. Study requires time and discipline. Are you telling me that the people you see behind the counter at the local arms mart have any of that?

Jonathan Doe
07-28-2009, 3:54 PM
Usually, just field strip and clean is good enough. I breakdown the gun completely after several thousand rounds and clean the parts. I have been through several factory armorer schools for my guns and I can do it. Won't cost me anything.;)

Geo
07-28-2009, 4:05 PM
I wouldn't say that.

Do you want neighbors that are too boneheaded to understand how to clean their own firearms handling said firearms next to your house? I didn't think so.

The OP needs to learn how to clean his weapons himself... it's a part of RESPONSIBLE gun ownership.

HondaMasterTech
07-28-2009, 4:36 PM
You should learn. Id feel uncomfortable letting some dude mess with my gun, pro or not.

Z ME FLY
07-28-2009, 5:07 PM
Do you want neighbors that are too boneheaded to understand how to clean their own firearms handling said firearms next to your house? I didn't think so.

The OP needs to learn how to clean his weapons himself... it's a part of RESPONSIBLE gun ownership.

It depends on how far of a break down he is talkinga bout. For example if he needs someone to show him how to take off a slide, barrel, and recoil spring so he can clean it and get into the trigger area and mag then yes I agree with you that he should know how to do that. That can be found in the owner's manual. If he is taking about a total break down. Taking out the trigger and all the small parts then I can understand why he would need someone to help him. For my s&w610, I can't take off the slide plate so I can totally break down the gun. Does that make me a bonehead? Nope because I can still clean my gun and take off the cylinder without a problem. Still he has to learn and calling him a bonehead isn't going to help. If someone shows him how to do it then he learns. When I first got my Glock the guy showed me how to take it apart, so I knew but I didn't know before.

Stealth
07-28-2009, 5:18 PM
Learn to clean your own firearms.

Google + Youtube as a starter should give you enough education to be able to do it. If that is not enough then post here or one of any number of gun forums asking for instructions or documents to help learn how.

Or use those forums to find someone to teach you.

sirnonz
07-28-2009, 5:41 PM
practice makes perfect

CSACANNONEER
07-28-2009, 6:00 PM
20 to 30...they dont gotta fully take the thing apart...im just not trying to loose any more piece

Good luck! The shop I used to work at charged a minimum of $45 for a cleaning. Seriously, do it yourself. You'll be able to inspect everything yourself and do a better job cleaning it. I promise you.

epic4444
07-28-2009, 7:56 PM
i love how GEO didnt notice i have cleaned my gun...and all my other guns many times before...this isnt my first rodeo and i really doubt your one to tell who should and shouldnt own a firearm...i just prefer not to clean this one due to the itty bitty piece involved in clean...i have no problem doing it myself i just dont want to loose anymore piece...has nothing to do with not being able to...and yes im talking about a complete detailed field strip of almost every piece...not just a simple slide on slide off deal

HondaMasterTech
07-28-2009, 8:21 PM
i love how GEO didnt notice i have cleaned my gun...and all my other guns many times before...this isnt my first rodeo and i really doubt your one to tell who should and shouldnt own a firearm...i just prefer not to clean this one due to the itty bitty piece involved in clean...i have no problem doing it myself i just dont want to loose anymore piece...has nothing to do with not being able to...and yes im talking about a complete detailed field strip of almost every piece...not just a simple slide on slide off deal

What? How many gunsmiths are trained to work on EVERY gun? You really should try to conquer this firearm.

dchang0
07-28-2009, 8:55 PM
Well, if you do decide to tackle it yourself, one great way to ensure you don't lose parts is to get a very large freezer bag (you know, the heavy-duty Ziploc bags) and disassemble the gun INSIDE the bag (with as much of the zip closed as possible while your hands are inside the bag).

Any springs and parts that sproing out will get caught by the bag. And the bag, being transparent and relatively stiff-sided, won't get in the way of your disassembly. It's a trick I use when inserting the detent pins and springs in AR lowers, which can fly very far--much further than a dropcloth can reach.

Geo
07-28-2009, 9:06 PM

Your arguement isn't gaining much support. Just clean the thing yourself.

epic4444
07-28-2009, 9:28 PM
no ones arguing? i dont post here to argue or gain people support with my ideas...i come here to ask questions..and get useful responses..not be told im not responsible enough or smart enough to own my gun...and still you missed the point...i do and have and most likely will clean the thing myself

Nikola
07-28-2009, 9:59 PM
I'll weigh in. I usually have my Super Blackhawk cleaned by the guy at the range for $25. Why? Because it's a pain to do it myself. It's worth $25 to me every once in a while.

Geo
07-28-2009, 10:07 PM
no ones arguing

Exactly.

ar·gu·ment (def.)
a. A course of reasoning aimed at demonstrating truth or falsehood
b. A fact or statement put forth as proof or evidence; a reason
c. A set of statements in which one follows logically as a conclusion from the others.

Z ME FLY
07-28-2009, 11:38 PM
no ones arguing? i dont post here to argue or gain people support with my ideas...i come here to ask questions..and get useful responses..not be told im not responsible enough or smart enough to own my gun...and still you missed the point...i do and have and most likely will clean the thing myself

Hope you got the answer you wanted. I wouldn't feel bad having someone show me how to tear down a gun down to every part a couple of times. Like I said before, I can't get the side plate off my nframe and I wish someone could show me or do it for me while I watch.

I got a mosin before knowning how to tear it down and clean it. I took it home went on youtube and found out. I took it upon myself to figure it out like the OP is trying to do.

CSACANNONEER
07-29-2009, 8:50 AM

I just doubt that you'll get a competent and complete cleaning job for $20-$30. I have done this professionally and I sure would not be able to make money at your prices. Good luck!

Futurecollector
07-29-2009, 1:46 PM
Hope you got the answer you wanted. I wouldn't feel bad having someone show me how to tear down a gun down to every part a couple of times. Like I said before, I can't get the side plate off my nframe and I wish someone could show me or do it for me while I watch.

I got a mosin before knowning how to tear it down and clean it. I took it home went on youtube and found out. I took it upon myself to figure it out like the OP is trying to do.

It took me 2 videos to figure out how the hell the guy was "Magically" putting the bolt out of it

to the OP, dont listen to D-bags like geo, if you can find a shop/smith that will show you how to take it fully apart and clean it for 30 bucks then go for it!

epic4444
07-29-2009, 7:07 PM
thanks...im going find a gunsmith or shop and have them break it down and clean it and show me how...think thats the best way to go

Z ME FLY
07-29-2009, 7:44 PM
It took me 2 videos to figure out how the hell the guy was "Magically" putting the bolt out of it

to the OP, dont listen to D-bags like geo, if you can find a shop/smith that will show you how to take it fully apart and clean it for 30 bucks then go for it!

Man don't even get me started, the bolt that was easy cause I did it on accident but taking it apart... I had all the parts in front of me and I was thinking I might mess something up. Hell I still can't get the rear sight block off because I think the pin is stuck. Welded or whatever. Oh yeah and the bands are a pain in the butt to take off.

Maybe a calgunner can help you out? Someone with a good knowledge I am sure would help in exchange for a 6 pack or some bbq.

08duramax
07-29-2009, 9:03 PM
i took handgun class and after the class they had an "armorer" there that would clean your gun for $10-$15. i got roped into letting him do it. i was a little excited because i now didnt have to go home and spend an hour or 2 cleaning it. well, a week later i was preparing my gear for another class and noticed a little carbon on the chamber. i figured no big deal, just get it real quick. after stripping the gun i realized how crappy of a job the guy did. i still had to spend another 30-45 minutes recleaning it. i now know, no one will clean my gun as good as me.