PDA

View Full Version : New to CA from KS

MikeV
07-26-2009, 8:03 PM
Hello all. The wife and I just moved here from Kansas and I've been told this is the place to find the answers to all my questions. I've been a member of Sigforum for about 7 years and it looks like I'll have to divide my time between here and there now.

I was laid off 6 months back and just landed a job in Modesto. Sadly, we had to leave our AR-15 and a slew of mags for various guns behind, but we're gonna try and make the best of it. I had my concealed carry permit in KS and I guess my next plan of action is to see what it will take to get one here. I have a bad feeling about it, but am hoping for the best.

Well, I just wanted to introduce myself and hope to be posting more soon!

Mike

slappomatt
07-26-2009, 9:08 PM
yeah odds of getting a CCW in CA are slim to none.

you can bring all your mags, you just have to take them apart while in CA. Its perfectly legal to have the unassembled mags in your possession.

you might be able to bring your AR's depending on the lower. At the top of the forums here there is a link to the CA AW flowchart that has lists of the banned receivers. as long as your receiver is not on the ban list, you can have them here.

you will need to put a mag-lock on the magazine button or remove the pistol grip and use a monster man grip or a ca rifles U15 stock and you can keep your detachable mags. as long as they are not more than 10rnds or they are preban mags. which since you are moving into the state now you wont legally have any CA-preban mags.

even if your lowers ARE listed you can sell the lowers and buy legal ones here and then put your uppers on them.

forgiven
07-27-2009, 3:02 AM
Welcome Mike.:)

CSACANNONEER
07-27-2009, 9:08 AM
Welcome and just remember one thing when it comes to firearm laws in Ca,

Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.

Yea, the laws here are not written by or based on common sense so, don't try to rationalize them. Just follow them to the letter and you will be fine.

Hey, now that you're in Modesto, are your family and friends calling and asking you how the beach is and which movies stars you saw today? I love how people who have never been here don't have a clue as to how big and diversified this state is.

javabum
07-27-2009, 12:32 PM
yeah odds of getting a CCW in CA are slim to none.

that statement is true if you live in an area that dose not have a pro 2A sheriff or police chief.
if you live in Fresno or Tulare then you have a good shot as these 2 areas are the easiest to obtain them.for the most part the sheriff's dept.handles all the ccw requests so that is where i would start.

PowderBurn1
07-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Mike welcome to Calguns and welcome to Modesto if you have any questions
just shoot me a pm.... I have been in Modesto for 25 years.

Ken

MikeV
07-27-2009, 6:22 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys. I have a lot to learn about, well, everything in this state. I'll do a ton of research and still have a dozen questions I'm sure.

PowderBurn1, I just might shoot you a PM down the road. Thanks for the offer.

B Strong
07-28-2009, 7:15 AM
Hello all. The wife and I just moved here from Kansas and I've been told this is the place to find the answers to all my questions. I've been a member of Sigforum for about 7 years and it looks like I'll have to divide my time between here and there now.

I was laid off 6 months back and just landed a job in Modesto. Sadly, we had to leave our AR-15 and a slew of mags for various guns behind, but we're gonna try and make the best of it. I had my concealed carry permit in KS and I guess my next plan of action is to see what it will take to get one here. I have a bad feeling about it, but am hoping for the best.

Well, I just wanted to introduce myself and hope to be posting more soon!

Mike

Welcome Mike, and my sympathies on having to move from a free state to California.

Please make sure to visit:

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/

And help us out with our fight for the Second Amendment here in California.

Turbinator
07-29-2009, 4:13 PM
Welcome aboard to the forum and this fine state. Hope you can stomach the income and property taxes!

Turby

MikeV
07-29-2009, 7:09 PM
Well, I just emailed my Representative and two Senators. Not that it'll do much good, but it's a start I guess. Looking forward to doing my part to help out CA.

Hello there. My wife and I recently moved to Modesto from Kansas and,
unfortunately, had to leave behind one of my wife's guns and several
magazines that had over 10 round capacity due to California's peculiar gun
laws. I am a law abiding citizen and even had my Concealed Carry permit
in Kansas. To keep this message short, I am a regular voter and will cast
my vote for whomever best supports my 2nd amendment rights. Thank you for
your time and I look forward to researching your voting record to see
where you stand on the issue.

greasemonkey
01-30-2010, 1:19 AM
Well, I just emailed my Representative and two Senators. Not that it'll do much good, but it's a start I guess. Looking forward to doing my part to help out CA.

Hey Mike, welcome to California and Calguns. There's a TON of info and good, knowledgeable people on here; I hope you find it to be as helpful as a lot of us have.

We have a Central/South Valley Community Chapter forum, now, if you're interested in meeting some people in your area and getting involved. Our focus is going to be getting hands-on involvement in our local community and contacting/influencing our elected representatives.

Check out the link in my signature and see the ROLL CALL thread.

rod
01-30-2010, 2:32 PM
Welcome to Calguns