PDA

View Full Version : Thanks

Kingofthehill
07-26-2009, 5:16 PM
Man... I tell ya... im not big headed or anything but i can shoot pretty darn well. Even just picking up a gun from a friend, give me 2-4rds and i can get pretty good groups.

For the life of me I just am not doing well with my first Glock. I want to like it, im trying different ammo, Grip Extension, Slip On Grip, Death tight grip, slightly loose grip... but its just not coming to me for some reason. It's a Glock Model 30 .45 sub compact. I can shoot my friends sub compact XD .45 and M&P .40 all day long and keep em' nice and tight. Heck, im far more accurate with my 2" Snubby with .38 +p loads.... and i hardly shoot the thing :p

Im wondering if some people are just not going to take to a gun at all?... I guess its good enough for self defense... i can tighten them up enough for something like that but for range fun its depressing hahahaha....

Have anyone else just not been able to shoot a brand of weapon? I mean you want it to happen but it just doesn't?

JOe

hybridatsun350
07-26-2009, 5:20 PM
What are the issues you're having? Is it the trigger or something else? Glock triggers definitely take getting used to!

Kingofthehill
07-26-2009, 5:22 PM
Could be the trigger i guess.. ive tried laying my finger on it from the tip to the fatty part of the center and also towards the joint and all my shots are high and to the left.... and i always get 1 crazy flyer per mag hahahahaha... Its the gun, i swear :p its always the gun

railroader
07-26-2009, 5:33 PM
I had the same problem with my glock 17. I could get half way decent groups with it then the next group would open way up. It would do it to me from a rest too. I had even changed the sights, the barrel and put in a 3.5 connector. I finally gave up and sold it. I also have a ruger p95 that shooting tight groups is kinda tough. Part of that is the long take up single action and part is the gun is only "combat" accurate. I keep the ruger because makes a very good home defense gun for me and the wife. It's a decocker only so the wife can just point and shoot if she needs it. It's kind of like a 16 shot revolver. Mark

JJ1911
07-26-2009, 5:37 PM
The reason I don't shoot Glocks as well as my other pistols is because I've built up alot of muscle memory shooting 1911s and springfield XDs. The angle/grip eronomics are different for these guns than a Glock. Trigger is definately a different feel, and as previously stated, takes some getting used to.

I also found that applying approx 60% support hand pressure and 40% main hand pressure helps my accuracy with Glocks. Actually I do that with all my pistols and it has improved accuracy with my others as well.

chefdude
07-26-2009, 5:44 PM
I would say the trigger pull...and sometimes the anticipation of that long hard pull will take you off target...

huckberry668
07-26-2009, 5:52 PM
I have a G22 and G19 I can shoot 3" groups at 25 yards offhand. But with a friend's G35, I shoot 3 to 4" to the right of POA and about 5 or 6" groups. The G35's trigger feels a lot different than the G22 and G19 of mine.

It felt as if it breaks too early & abruptly results in 'pulling' from excessive over travel. It should break lightly at the end of the 'take up'. We swapped the G35 upper with his G17 frame and it shot well. So I concluded it's the trigger. This might not be your issue but wouldn't hurt to check.

hybridatsun350
07-26-2009, 6:23 PM
Could be the trigger i guess.. ive tried laying my finger on it from the tip to the fatty part of the center and also towards the joint and all my shots are high and to the left.... and i always get 1 crazy flyer per mag hahahahaha... Its the gun, i swear :p its always the gun

Okay, I'm pretty sure I know exactly what you're doing because it's something I do if I don't actively focus on my entire trigger pull. I have noticed (with my Glock 34) that I can shoot good groups, but my shots will go consistently left of the bulls-eye. So I tried to simulate the problem in a dry fire situation and found that I was pulling the trigger straight through until the very last part of the trigger pull and then I was pushing the gun to the left as I pulled through that last stiff part of the trigger. Just try to really focus and make sure you're not jerking the gun on the last part of the trigger pull. It's very easy to flinch just a little bit and throw your shots off.

liketoshoot
07-26-2009, 6:29 PM
It's the Glock, thats why I sold mine, I'm better with every other gun then I am with a Glock? I just don't know.

Corbin Dallas
07-26-2009, 6:43 PM
It's the Glock, thats why I sold mine, I'm better with every other gun then I am with a Glock? I just don't know.

It's not the gun, it's you.

If you are not comfortable with the weapon or it feels alien in your hand, find one that works.

Don't blame your inaccuracy on the weapon.

To the OP, the Glock 30 is an odd weapon. Semi-short barrel and a fat grip. With any weapon its all about trigger control.

Gryff
07-26-2009, 7:30 PM
Do a $.25 trigger job (http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/) on it and give it another try. Glock triggers take a while to get used to for some people.

L-2
07-26-2009, 7:41 PM
I'm with hybridatsun350 on this as to what's happening. With any gun I've got to practice, but I must concentrate more with my G22 & G21SF compared to my 5" Kimbers, among others.

Greg-Dawg
07-26-2009, 8:51 PM
Im wondering if some people are just not going to take to a gun at all?...

Have anyone else just not been able to shoot a brand of weapon? I mean you want it to happen but it just doesn't?

JOe

JOe, if you're not happy with it; I'll take it off your hands for $250.

1911su16b870
07-26-2009, 8:52 PM
More time and more rounds down range with the Glock will do the trick...

and your target talks:

http://home.earthlink.net/~potomac008/wheel.gif

l8apex
07-26-2009, 10:12 PM
More practice and dry fire will do should do the trick. Also, you may come to the conclusion that the Glock Platform may not be optimal for you. It isn't to say that it's the pistols fault, as it always is the shooter, what it means is that there may be a better platform for you and your shooting.

Don't be afraid to venture out and try different platforms, S&W MP, XD, HK, SIG to name a few. The platform that is best for you, is the one you will make accurate brisk hits consistently. Good luck and happy shooting.

smittty
07-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Man... I tell ya...

For the life of me I just am not doing well with my first Glock.

JOe

It's not the gun. It's you!

I know because I thought it was the gun when I had my first Glock and sold it after a year of owning it and not shooting it nearly as well as my other guns. Many guns later I decided to get another Glock and now I'm tagging the 25 yard plates all day long.

Imagine that you have to reteach yourself how to shoot. Start with paper targets at 5 yards and work on the sight picture and trigger until you have nice tight groups. Then move the target to 7 yards and repeat, then 15 and beyond.

I always start my range sessions on paper targets at 5-7 yards. 2 mags per gun and then plink away at the fun targets. Every time I shoot a different gun, I start on paper to learn the sight picture and to see where it shoots. This way I'm not guessing or wasting ammo.

Smitty

flatovercrest
07-26-2009, 10:35 PM
I was never able to shoot my G19 well, while could achieve excellent grouping with all my berettas.
I ended up selling the glock and buying another beretta.. ;)

smittty
07-26-2009, 10:36 PM
More time and more rounds down range with the Glock will do the trick...

and your target talks:

http://home.earthlink.net/~potomac008/wheel.gif

There are several versions of this. Some are for one handed right hand, one handed left hand, two handed right hand, etc. Make sure you find the right one for the hold you use. Google "trigger analysis" and you should find them.

Smitty

G17GUY
07-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Balance an empty shell case on top of your slide while dry fireing it about 1000 times.

ERdept
07-26-2009, 11:23 PM
I had trouble initially with the Glocks as well getting spoiled on the 1911 pull, but I really have to focus much more with the G and squeeze and hold steady all the way through the pull.

bsim
07-26-2009, 11:54 PM
The glock grip is angled much more than the 1911/XD type grips. If you're using the same grip / hand position you use with the other guns, it WILL shoot higher.

The glock ergonomics are what's keeping me from getting one - just doesn't feel natural to me...

smittty
07-27-2009, 12:00 AM
Balance an empty shell case on top of your slide while dry fireing it about 1000 times.

Good idea but doesn't that block the sight picture?

An old timer told me to place a pencil with the eraser end in first, all the way inside the barrel and dryfire it very close to a wall. Trick is to find a dot to aim at and squeeze the trigger so that it shoots the pencil out and marks the wall. Keep doing this and you will master the trigger, so I was told. I never tried it but it seems like it might be good practise if you had nothing else to do. I hope I never have that much time on my hands!

Kingofthehill
07-27-2009, 5:16 AM
Im in no way Blaming the gun... Its doing its job, i know its me.

I'll give it another few trips out and if it doesn't get better i'll probably sell or trade it.

someone suggested other brands, I have most popular guns and i shoot them all very well My sig and XD the best... probably followed by my 1911.

i was just curious if people have simply given a platform the honest try and just not been able to make it work?... im assuming some people just hate the feel of a 1911 and/or can't make it work for them.... I think it may be that way for the glock with me.

That trigger jobs looks interesting and maybe some new sights...

A member here just offered me to shoot his (same gun) with a trigger job and XS Big Dot sight...

I think that would be a step in the right direction.

Thanks guys.

JOe

Jerkdog
07-27-2009, 7:22 AM
It's pretty common to have problems with Glock triggers.

This may help: http://www.bullseyepistol.com/training.htm

It's a good illustration of what you "may" be doing wrong...for me it's jerking (go figure). :p

trinydex
07-27-2009, 8:18 AM
what happens when you dry fire very close at a wall? does the muzzle move? if it does find a way to actuate trigger without moving muzzle.

Oldnoob
07-27-2009, 9:13 AM
Hey Joe, is this the Glock you trade you CZ for?

I found that lots "experienced" shooters (that don't shoot Glock) will have more have trouble with Glock trigger as compare to new shooter start with Glock. And I believe is because the 2 stages Glock trigger (just a term I came out with). Glock striker fire system is unlike normal SAO, DAO or DA/SA, when the slide was racked, the firing pin is in half cocked stage (more like 75% cocked). And the pre-travel of trigger set the firing pin to full cocked, than once your trigger break it release the firing pin.

So to master Glock trigger is to be familiar with it's pre-travel stage and know when/where is the trigger break. Start slow firing every shot. While you finger slowly taking out the pre-traveling make sure your sight is still on target. Once you know where/when the trigger break and you can still keep the sight on target, you should have no problem keeping a 2" group in 30 feet.

Get this a try before you do any trigger job on it.

I also learn it is easier to do this with stock 5.5 connector. If you wish to just do the one pull fire, you can get the 3.5 connector. Lots shooter like it because it make the Glock trigger felt like average DA/SA type trigger.

Casual_Shooter
07-27-2009, 9:24 AM
Have someone load three magazines but leave one of them one round short.

Count the rounds but try to ignore the slide so you won't know when you're out of ammo on the short-loaded mag.

That last "blank" shot will reveal wonders about your shooting technique.

Greg-Dawg
07-27-2009, 9:40 AM
i was just curious if people have simply given a platform the honest try and just not been able to make it work?... im assuming some people just hate the feel of a 1911 and/or can't make it work for them.... I think it may be that way for the glock with me.
JOe

When I first got my Glock, it took me three months to really master it. Funny thing is, after being to adjust to shooting a Glock I was able to be accurate with other pistols as well....go figure.

Cato
07-27-2009, 9:50 AM
I have a lot of trouble with my HK USP 40. Like you, I can shoot it well enough for home defense (say 3 yards, man size target) but at the range I can't keep tight groups.

I really believe firearms design is an art as much as a science. All the elements must come together and "speak" to a person. My P228 works really well for me; I almost feel I'm cheating when I shoot that gun. It's too easy to shoot. Now my USP requires that I follow everything I know and plenty of concentration to get anykind of groups.

Frostbite
07-27-2009, 10:01 AM
I actually had the same problem. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with my G27 or G20 but was putting rounds through the same holes with other guns. Turns out it, in my case, it was a couple of things going wrong.

--I was used to shooting DA/SA guns and the trigger pull on the Glock is heavier than my SA trigger pulls. Not a big deal here, just practiced dry firing until my sight picture didn't change much from the beginning to the end of the pull.

--I realized I was using too much trigger finger on the trigger. I adjusted to where I was only pulling the trigger with the pad of the tip of my finger and focused on squeezing the trigger straight back. Before, I was letting the trigger sit at my first knuckle and it was causing everything to go low and left.

--Changing which part of my finger was pulling the trigger caused me to change my grip on the gun so I when my finger was on the trigger, really only the tip was actually resting squarely on the trigger. Which means the grip of the gun was resting more in the web of my hand. Incidentally, this helped with reducing felt recoil as well.

That's what my problem was anyway. Your mileage may vary but suffice it to say, it's probably you and not the gun.

chansen49
07-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Dry fire 100 times a day for a week. Point aim click..

KevinXT
07-27-2009, 12:01 PM
heres a lil trigger tip for shooting the glock that may be of some help to you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkWm4c99SqU

rkt88edmo
07-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Try some other glocks, there can be quite a difference in trigger pulls due to the tolerances.

hybridatsun350
07-27-2009, 12:26 PM
I forgot to mention that my 34 has the stock 3.5lb connector along with a lightened striker spring. Changing the striker spring made a big difference. It made the trigger mushier, but it's a lot lighter now and I figure Glock triggers are mushy anyway! I have yet to do the $0.25 trigger job so that may help as well.

subin
07-27-2009, 12:35 PM
My groups from 1911 (3.5 ~4.5 lbs trigger) and G19 (stock 2nd gen.) are about the same. The groups from XD45 (with factory defense trigger job) and stock Sig P220R are about the same, but not as good as the ones from 1911 and G19.
I guess I need to shoot the XD45 more :)

C_1
07-27-2009, 1:20 PM
I didnt read thru the 4 pages but what I do is dry fire with snap caps. Its lets me see the front sight and where its going when I pull the trigger. Good practice for cheap..

You can also load a dummy round along with live ammo at the range. Shoot and watch the front sight.

There are also targets that tell you what you're doing wrong.

HondaMasterTech
07-27-2009, 7:25 PM
OP... Maybe you have a mental block.

hybridatsun350
07-27-2009, 7:43 PM
OP... Maybe you have a mental block.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? :confused:

HondaMasterTech
07-27-2009, 7:47 PM
What the hell is that supposed to mean? :confused:

Is his psychology preventing him from shooting the gun accurately?

l8apex
07-27-2009, 9:08 PM
I'll give it another few trips out and if it doesn't get better i'll probably sell or trade it.

someone suggested other brands, I have most popular guns and i shoot them all very well My sig and XD the best... probably followed by my 1911.

JOe

I personally gave Glocks more than an honest try-[owned and shot them competitively IDPA & won a match with a Glock 17], it's without a doubt a great platform. However, I shoot other platforms better than Glock. That means, less effort for the same or better results.

Over the years of shooting/training/competing/deployed I've learned a few things. 1)Brand loyalty not only limits your choices, but also your mindset as far as training, and options-one's approach should always eclectic 2) When you have the ability to 'cheat' in a tactical or competitive scenario, you should take it. Cheat=have more firepower/better tactics/better equipment or a firearm that allows you to maximize your skill set to the n-th degree. It's better to use what works than the latest and greatest or the popular brand. 3) Train like you would fight 4) Repeat 3 5) Repeat 3

I found several other platforms that allowed me to focus on tactics rather than shooting. After that, the Glocks were soon traded or sold-otherwise they would have been safe queens. Good luck with your choice and happy shooting.

12GaugeLosAngeles
07-27-2009, 9:56 PM
trigger... and those wide combat sights suck.

oghl888
07-27-2009, 10:11 PM
THat's why there are many choices out there. I can't play tennis well with more than 50% of the rackets available for sale. I don't like more than 50% of the cars currently being sold. I am not comfortable on more than 50% of the chairs/sofas I've tried.

I like more than 50% of the guns, though :) but there is bound to be one that I don't like. For you, it seems to be the Glock. Shoot what fits you, because changing yourself to fit the gun is much more difficult.

walter
07-27-2009, 11:06 PM
iono out of all my handguns (ppk, j-frame, xd9, browning 9mm, rentals) I shoot my glock the best. shrugs

5hundo
07-28-2009, 12:06 AM

JOe

Yeah, I have had the same problems with the Sprinfield XD. I was actually really upset about that too, because I had my heart set on getting one. I went to an indoor range and tried one out and realized that I can't shoot worth a damn with it, so I looked for something a little better suited for me...

I ended up getting a Glock 22C simply because I can shoot it better than I did anything else. I'm not one of the people who loudly proclaim "Glock is the best pistol on earth!", or anything. Its just that I can operate that weapon best of all that I have tried...

I like Glock, I like Sig Sauer, I like Springfield but I shoot best with my Glock, so that's what I got...