PDA

View Full Version : Walmart in Fairfield demands ID for ammo?

sfpcservice
07-26-2009, 1:21 PM
Just wondering if anyone in another walmart has seen or been subjected to this? I don't recall ever being required to show ID before, but that was a while ago because I can't stand to go in there unless absolutely necessary.

I always like signs like this that don't cite the actual "Federal Law". Does anyone know if such a "Federal Law" exists?

ke6guj
07-26-2009, 1:34 PM
Yes federal law does require you to be 18 to buy long gun amm, and 21 to buy handgun ammo.

trob
07-26-2009, 1:38 PM
how old are you

Joe
07-26-2009, 1:40 PM
how old are you

^^this

Whats up with the sign saying you have to have proof of residency

gregorylucas
07-26-2009, 1:42 PM
Just wondering if anyone in another walmart has seen or been subjected to this? I don't recall ever being required to show ID before, but that was a while ago because I can't stand to go in there unless absolutely necessary.

I always like signs like this that don't cite the actual "Federal Law". Does anyone know if such a "Federal Law" exists?

I was in the Windsor Walmart about 3-4 years ago waiting in line to buy some 45acp (I'm only 30 now so I was about 26-27 backl then) and a guy who looked about 16-19 got carded in front of me for 22 ammo. I then got to the front of the line and bought my 45acp with no card check.

I don't have a problem with Walmart or any other retailer checking ID (even AIM Surplus has you fax a copy of your DL to them before placing any ammo order) it's kinda like buying booze. As long as they don't run you through a system (like some stores do with alochol) so they can tell how many times you have bought.

Greg

POLICESTATE
07-26-2009, 1:45 PM
Yeah that's a load of crap on that sign about proof of residency. I don't have a problem getting my ID checked for age on ammo or booze. It's good some people check everyone, it ensures consistency. But taking down any information and checking where you live is not only unnecessary, it's also none of their business.

sfpcservice
07-26-2009, 1:49 PM
how old are you

Old enough.

tazmanian devil dog
07-26-2009, 1:51 PM
The Walmart in Sonora, CA wanted to "swip" my DL into "their" system about 2 years ago when I tried to buy ammo there. That was the last time they every saw me at that particular store.

Oshiat
07-26-2009, 1:55 PM
I have purchased a lot of ammo at that store over the years, don't recall ever being asked for ID.

kazman
07-26-2009, 1:59 PM
I occasionally get asked for ID for proof of age. The cash register beeps reminding them...most of the time they don't ask. Of course I'm over 40 so it's not an issue.

Hunter4life1990
07-26-2009, 3:46 PM
sometimes when i get ammo from wally world they check my id but it usually depends on whos behind the register, i went in there a few times when i was 16-17 buying both rifle and handgun ammo no id check.theyve never tried to swipe my id just a glance at it when the register beeps

TurboS600
07-26-2009, 4:04 PM
They'll ask for ID for ammo sales but won't ask for ID to vote???

What in the world are we coming to???

ke6guj
07-26-2009, 4:36 PM

What in the world are we coming to???asking for ID would disenfranschise voters, but it is apparantly OK to "disenfranchise" gun owners.

NeoWeird
07-26-2009, 5:43 PM

What in the world are we coming to???

Voting is a right, whether you have a valid ID card or not. Since there are no laws restricting voting, asking for ID would simply discriminate against voters who don't have an ID. Firearms and ammunition have laws regulating them, no matter how unconstitutional they are, and one of those is an age restriction, so an age verification via ID is required. Not supporting it, just saying why it's there.

I'd also like to point out that it's a proof of residency, not a secondary proof of residency like when purchasing a handgun. I'd imagine the proof of residency they are talking about is the federal laws that dictate that ammo can not be exported without proper license or sold to citizens of another country. It would be a HUGE no-no if someone came from a country with restricted firearm ownership, purchased ammunition here, and took it home. Presenting your license, which shows you are a US citizen, is more than enough to meet that requirment which is probably why you will never hear of someone being asked for a proof of residency.

CSDGuy
07-26-2009, 5:57 PM
Voting is a right, whether you have a valid ID card or not. Since there are no laws restricting voting, asking for ID would simply discriminate against voters who don't have an ID. Firearms and ammunition have laws regulating them, no matter how unconstitutional they are, and one of those is an age restriction, so an age verification via ID is required. Not supporting it, just saying why it's there.

I'd also like to point out that it's a proof of residency, not a secondary proof of residency like when purchasing a handgun. I'd imagine the proof of residency they are talking about is the federal laws that dictate that ammo can not be exported without proper license or sold to citizens of another country. It would be a HUGE no-no if someone came from a country with restricted firearm ownership, purchased ammunition here, and took it home. Presenting your license, which shows you are a US citizen, is more than enough to meet that requirment which is probably why you will never hear of someone being asked for a proof of residency.
Having a Driver's License is not proof of citizenship...

jasilva
07-26-2009, 6:26 PM
Why are we even discussing Walmart/ammo? They never have any in stock.

PEBKAC
07-26-2009, 8:15 PM
I got asked for ID when I went to stock up on birdshot.

Joe Collins
07-26-2009, 8:39 PM
Old enough.

Somehow I doubt that.:(

markw
07-26-2009, 9:05 PM

Registering to vote and showing a valid ID to vote isn't asking too much. The whole argument that it disenfranchises voters and requires them to have an ID is just an out to allow people who normally can't vote to vote.

I had to show my birth certificate to get my first learners permit, to get my ssn, and to join the military. I also had to show it to get my current job, since it's not in the whitehouse. :) A military ID, or a DL does not prove citizenship. I've had to PROVE I was who I said I was. Proving you are who you say you are so you can vote only protects your right, and makes it more valuable of a RIGHT. When any one can walk up and say I'm John Smith from 1234 main street. Yeah, that's me right there and then vote, makes it less valuable.

Wizard99
07-26-2009, 9:23 PM
How about a finger print when you sign the voter registrar book. Oh, I guess that would discriminate those who have no thumbs.

Invisible_Dave
07-26-2009, 9:37 PM
When they ring up ammo Walmart a prompt comes up that says "hand gun ammo y/n." If "y" is selected it asks for age verification 21 or older, just like beer. Lucky's swipes cards for beer purcheses so their tellers don't have to do math and/or deal with fake ids. Some tellers may just ask for Ids from EVERYONE as to not get in trouble. My dad (mid 50's) got carded buying ammo the other day. The world is not ending and privacy is still no more or less secure then 3 weeks ago.