PDA

View Full Version : Transportation of ammo..

Ducati748r
05-01-2005, 9:58 AM
I'm headed to the range and I wanted to know exactly what the law is when it comes to ammo. I know a firearm should be a locked case. What about the ammo? Let me know folks. Thanks.

Ducati748r
05-01-2005, 9:58 AM
I'm headed to the range and I wanted to know exactly what the law is when it comes to ammo. I know a firearm should be a locked case. What about the ammo? Let me know folks. Thanks.

bwiese
05-01-2005, 10:16 AM
I would avoid loaded magazines.

As long as ammo is separate from locked-up, unloaded gun(s) you're OK. Hell, I still have a box or two of ammo behind the seat of my truck.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Ducati748r
05-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Excellent!!!..I'm off to the range to give my evil looking colt sporter(preban) a workout. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

delloro
05-01-2005, 7:01 PM
I always thought that ammo for handguns and AWs must be transported in a separate compartment of the vehicle and that a loaded mag in the same vehicle as a HG or AW is considered a loaded weapon. but I could not find that in the PC....

Trader Jack
05-01-2005, 9:14 PM
Delloro; The reason you can not find it is because it is not true. Just more old fish tales from those who heard it from, who heard it from, who heard it from etc. etc.

What you want to do is look up on the DOJ site the definition of a "Loaded hand gun" and it will clearly explain what is considered a loaded firearm. In the case of a semi-auto, any live ammunition in the chamber or a magazine or clip with any amount of live ammunition installed AND that magazine or clip is inserted into the firearm OR in any way touching the firearm shall be considered a loaded weapon.

In the case of a revolver (single or double action) only if there is a live shell in the cylinder is the firearm considered loaded. YOU CAN HAVE A FULL "SPEED LOADER" sitting right next to the revolver and it is NOT considered a loaded firearm.

Many people think that a loaded magazine that is within your reach and a firearm that is also within easy reach is considered a loaded gun.
By law it is not. There has been some case law where a DA has pushed that and a judge has gong along with it but 99% of that case law has been against gang bangers or some smart *** who pissed of a cop. There is a segment in the DWCL that will allow for that but it does require the arresting officer to know that one is involved in or contemplating a felony and has a firearm with a loaded magazine within easy reach.

rambo321
05-01-2005, 10:41 PM
i was wondering if transporting shotgun ammo in the glove department is safe, if not where would be a safe place to transport your ammos?

stillbigmac
05-02-2005, 6:20 PM
I've got some rolling around on the floorboard of my trucks http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif