PDA

View Full Version : To CA CCW permit holder

LongBch_SigP226
07-04-2005, 8:35 PM
Does your CCW permit really look like this?

http://www.packing.org/gs/ca_ccw.gif

If so, why are we paying so much money to get a piece of paper? State of New Hampshire charges
20 bucks for 4 years and it's actual ID card.
Same goes for State of Utah.

CaliTheKid
07-04-2005, 8:38 PM
That is indeed what our CCW "card" looks like. I don't know why they aren't more durably produced, however, if getting one was more uniformly easier in this state-- many would gladly accept them written on a piece of tree bark.

Snorkel Bob
07-04-2005, 11:38 PM
yup thats what mine looks like

MadMex
07-05-2005, 4:06 AM
It could be worse. I once lived in a state that put the ccw “endorsement” on your driver’s license. Unless you spent the time and money at the DMV to obtain a separate non-driver’s license state ID with a ccw endorsement you were “outed” by every clown that needed to see your ID.

Fold the Kali ccw in half, printed side out, and have it laminated. Not as durable as credit card plastic, however a significant improvement.

50 Freak
07-06-2005, 8:19 AM
I just make a mini copy of my CCW permit and keep the original in the safe. The original is printed on really thin paper, almost like a one-ply sheet of toliet paper.

imported_QuarterBoreGunner
07-06-2005, 8:21 PM
Yeah it’s printed on tracing paper. I suppose the idea is that it will self destruct in your wallet… I fold mine over and have it laminted, but I also have multiple copies handy as well.

gloxter
07-08-2005, 4:06 PM
I shrank mine down on a copier, then folded it (the copy) in half before laminating it, for proper placement in my wallet.
Since I'm a public-safety employee, I asked a reputable officer in my city if my CCW was attached to my driver's licence via the strip on the reverse. He stated, "No". Take it for what it's worth.

Glock21Owner
07-08-2005, 4:08 PM
Originally posted by QuarterBoreGunner:
Yeah it’s printed on tracing paper. I suppose the idea is that it will self destruct in your wallet… I fold mine over and have it laminted, but I also have multiple copies handy as well.

You live in San Francisco and have a CCW? How'd you do that?

07-08-2005, 5:18 PM
Trust me you don't want to go through the process I did to get mine.

Also mine was issued through the Santa Clara SOs and then transfered to SF.

Glock21Owner
07-08-2005, 5:34 PM
I'm not seeking a CCW but I know they are impossible to get in San Francisco. I'd really like to know how you managed it, if you wouldn't mind. Just out of pure interest, honestly.

socalguns
07-09-2005, 5:00 AM
Originally posted by Glock21Owner:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by QuarterBoreGunner:

You live in San Francisco and have a CCW? How'd you do that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
He knows(bribed) the sheriff/mayor
He is some kind of cop/bounty hunter

socalguns
07-09-2005, 5:04 AM
Trust me you don't want to go through the process I did to get mine.

Also mine was issued through the Santa Clara SOs and then transfered to SF.
Hey, what was the psych test like?
Do the cops get a copy of your test,
or just an "ok, this guy is cleared" from the shrink?
I wonder if data brokers can get ahold of it ... he can't resist pink tu-tu's, now we know what to sell him http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

07-09-2005, 4:17 PM

This is so laughable that I’m not even sure whether I should answer or not.

Glock21Owner - check your private messages.

Henry47
07-10-2005, 12:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">He knows(bribed) the sheriff/mayor

This is so laughable that I’m not even sure whether I should answer or not.

Glock21Owner - check your private messages. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

can you forward that pm to me also? i am also VERY curious.

07-10-2005, 8:05 AM
Done

jnojr
07-11-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by socalguns:

Bzzzt.

Believe me... what he went through to get his, you wouldn't want to even have dreamed of. No, it wasn't bribes, paperwork, or other tedious "hoops", either.

If you really, really want a CCW, move. Preferably to another state.

E__WOK
07-12-2005, 5:55 PM
Same here. I'm in SF.

Pablo
07-13-2005, 3:15 PM
Originally posted by jnojr:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by socalguns:

Bzzzt.

Believe me... what he went through to get his, you wouldn't want to even have dreamed of. No, it wasn't bribes, paperwork, or other tedious "hoops", either.

If you really, really want a CCW, move. Preferably to another state. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on you have to tell us!!! please!!! I have always want one!!!

07-13-2005, 7:14 PM
Marco- check your private messages.

C.G.
07-13-2005, 8:42 PM
Me, too, please. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

07-13-2005, 9:15 PM
To CG and pitbull30 - and to anyone else that’s curious about how I can be a resident of San Francisco and how I got my CCW, I’ll say this first; I have no secret info, I didn’t bribe anyone. I don’t know any politicians nor did I make any large contributions to political campaigns. These are all the standard and commonly thought of ways of obtaining a CCW in the bay area. So how did I do it?

I had to shoot someone that was trying to kill me and two other people.

Now stop and think about that for a minute before reading on.

Ok, ready?

Here’s the PM I’ve sent out, it’s the short version of the original post.

It's a long and unsavory tale, and I've posted it a couple of times already on this board.

Short version: For most of the '90s I managed National Shooting Club in Santa Clara. We were also a Class III/NFA licensed dealer for local LE departments. I applied for a CCW through the Santa Clara Sheriffs Office. sometime in the mid '90s I think. I thought I had a pretty good chance of getting it.
I worked closely with local and federal law enforcement
I managed a gunstore
My dad was a deputy sheriff with Santa Clara for 32 years
Here's the big one: I regularly transported Class III select fire weapons in my personal vehicle.
And I'm all round good guy.
They turned me down flat. Said my 'good cause' wans't GOOD ENOUGH. Which indicated to me that they were never going to issue CCWs to anybody for any legitimate reason.

Then one day, in 1999, we had an 'incident' at the range in which I had to put down a bad guy in the commision of some pretty serious felonies. After that, the Sheriff decided, that yeah, maybe issuing me a CCW was a good idea.

I've already posted the full story here and over at TheHighRoad.org, check this thread (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=60164&page=1&pp=25&highlight=real+life+encounters) for the complete story with all the gory details. It's on the second page

My CCW is issued by the Santa Clara Sheriff's Office but has a special exception for San Francisco, where I live.

So you see, my CCW process was extraordinary and suggested not to be repeated.

esskay
07-13-2005, 9:49 PM
http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Yikes! Sincerest apologies on dredging up that unpleasantness again...

C.G.
07-13-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Quarterboregunner So you see, my CCW process was extraordinary and suggested not to be repeated.

I agree and thank you for telling us. But I still can't get over that you were transporting Class III weapons and they would not let you have a CCW! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

PressCheck
07-14-2005, 8:50 AM
My CCW came to me folded in half, and laminated.

50 Freak
07-14-2005, 9:17 AM
Guys,

Having a real good reason for getting a CCW is just not enough in some counties (LA, SF for example). Nothing you say short of "I know the president and he's going to kick your *** if you don't give me one" will get you a CCW.

And I hate to say it, but I doubt anyone here has the type of money to make a contribution large enough to get noticed by a politician who would champion your CCW application.

Only two people I know of that has a CCW here in the Bay Area is: QuartboreGunner, who almost had to die and had practically kill someone in order to get a CCW (sorry QBG). The other guy is the personal bodyguard to a "bill gates" kinda guy in the Silicon Valley (not saying his name as you all will know who he is). This guy is an ex-Ranger just back from Iraq and even then had to have his employer seriously back his getting a CCW by calling the police chief and mayor and making a large contribution.

So for the average pee-on, he's out of luck. Unless you move to a more "friendlier" county that is CCW friendly. You can get a CCW from there and it is good for the entire state of CA. That is pretty much the only way I can see of getting one.

bwiese
07-14-2005, 9:50 AM
QuarterBoreGunner...

I believe I may have bought a few items from you during your time at NSC and I've loosed more than a few rounds there in the 90s when I worked in Mt View...

I had heard that this 'incident' led to lawsuit that led to closure of NSC range and/or loss of permitting by city gov't.

Was this at all true? Or did owners sell/biz go under for merely normal reasons?

Several friends of mine were always wondering why it closed, aftermath of the Stevens thing, etc. Any commentary, however brief, would be welcome..

BTW, glad you made it out 100%... http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Henry47
07-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by 50 Freak:
Guys,

Having a real good reason for getting a CCW is just not enough in some counties (LA, SF for example). Nothing you say short of "I know the president and he's going to kick your *** if you don't give me one" will get you a CCW.

And I hate to say it, but I doubt anyone here has the type of money to make a contribution large enough to get noticed by a politician who would champion your CCW application.

Only two people I know of that has a CCW here in the Bay Area is: QuartboreGunner, who almost had to die and had practically kill someone in order to get a CCW (sorry QBG). The other guy is the personal bodyguard to a "bill gates" kinda guy in the Silicon Valley (not saying his name as you all will know who he is). This guy is an ex-Ranger just back from Iraq and even then had to have his employer seriously back his getting a CCW by calling the police chief and mayor and making a large contribution.

So for the average pee-on, he's out of luck. Unless you move to a more "friendlier" county that is CCW friendly. You can get a CCW from there and it is good for the entire state of CA. That is pretty much the only way I can see of getting one.

i'm planning on moving to southern california for a few months to attend the Gemological Institute of America, but I will only be there for 3-4 months. If I change my residency through the dmv to my address in southern california, would that be enough for me to receive my ccw? anyone know?

07-14-2005, 7:16 PM
Bill-

Short version; yes I was sued by Stevens. For 'negligent discharge of a firearm'. It was with a certain pleasure that I was able to write in the affidavit that, 'no, it was not negligent- I damn well meant to shoot Stevens.' The suit never made it to court as the insurance company for the range, which was named in the suit as well, offered Stevens a 'one time only, no negotiation, offer of $5000' which he took and signed off on any rights to future action. This really REALLY did not sit well with me and the others involved. But the lawyer for the insurance company explained it like this; ' what if he (Stevens) gets a sympathetic court and jury? You (me and the others) could lose your business, your house, everything. So if I could make this whole thing go away for $5000 and didn't do it, I wouldn't be doing my job.' Still bugs me.

The way our ADA explained it was like this; always remember it's alegal system, not a justice system.

But it had no bearing on NSC closing down and selling the business to Reed's. It was a result primarily of the economy and the overall slowdown of the industry post 2000. We lost no permits and were always on excellent terms with the city of Santa Clara. We did have problems getting insurance after that as our previous carrier dropped us, but it worked out.

And yeah, Bill if you bought a firearm at NSC during the mid 90's, I probably sold it to you. We did move a heck of a lot of hardware. I was/am the tall skinny guy that couldn't decide if his hair should be blue or red and settled on purple.

esskay- no worries; you dredged nothing up. I've never had a single post-trauma problem. No dreams, nothing. I got off lucky.

09-25-2005, 8:48 PM
I would really like to know how you obtained your CCW permit. I live in Monrovia about a half hour outside L.A. I was shot at a few years ago while running in the evening. I guess those punks had nothing better to do. Also recently again while finnishing up a run a car load of youths thought it would be funny to pull up along side of me point a pistol at me and yell BANG!!! Well needless to say I would like to carry my pistol legally. Can you help me both of these incidents I notified the police they said "why are you running at night" another person said I ought to find somewhere else to run. I did have a police officer tell me "I think they were missing the bigger point" Give me my ticket!!!

09-26-2005, 5:52 AM
David-

It's all in the previous posts.

maxicon
09-26-2005, 11:47 AM
For those wondering about their chances of getting a CCW in any particular county, you can get a pretty good idea from this CaDOJ PDF file:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ccwissuances.pdf

You can see that QBG's is one of less than 200 issued in Santa Clara county, and SF county is at an all-time high of 10!

Don't hold your breath in either of those...

max

bwiese
09-26-2005, 12:09 PM
QBG...

Short version; yes I was sued by Stevens. For 'negligent discharge of a firearm'. It was with a certain pleasure that I was able to write in the affidavit that, 'no, it was not negligent- I damn well meant to shoot Stevens.'...{snip}

But it had no bearing on NSC closing down and selling the business to Reed's. It was a result primarily of the economy and the overall slowdown of the industry post 2000. We lost no permits and were always on excellent terms with the city of Santa Clara. We did have problems getting insurance after that as our previous carrier dropped us, but it worked out.

Good, glad to hear this. Guess I was a victim of rumor mill.

And yeah, Bill if you bought a firearm at NSC during the mid 90's, I probably sold it to you. We did move a heck of a lot of hardware. I was/am the tall skinny guy that couldn't decide if his hair should be blue or red and settled on purple.

Well, then, you sold me my HK USP40 back in summer of 97. I bought my Beretta 9000 from a shorter/fatter guy in 2001.

Glad you ended up OK, and the range didn't go down totally, and that Stevens is locked away.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

09-27-2005, 6:07 PM
Thanks for the good thoughts Bill.

Stevens was nailed for 13 out of 14 felonies and all of the sentences had enhancements for use of a firearm- he got 52 years of which he must serve a manditory 85% before possibility of parole; that comes to 44 years of hard time. He was 21 when he was sentenced so he might actually make it but the odds are against it.

10-06-2005, 7:07 PM
My thoughts exactly Q.B.G. seems like thats exactly what will have to happen! There have been multiple shooting in my neighborhood in just these past few years and when get home I sit with XD40 or .357 Taurus 2" close by. I thought that if something happens and I am umarmed at the time I will sue the state of Cali. for denying me my right as a U.S. citizen to protect my life or my family.

bwiese
10-06-2005, 7:13 PM
Originally posted by David Calderon:
I thought that if something happens and I am umarmed at the time I will sue the state of Cali. for denying me my right as a U.S. citizen to protect my life or my family.

Sorry but it will never get to the 1st day in court, and you'd never find a lawyer to take your case. The government, in essence, decides when it will allow itself to be sued.

Otherwise, many thousands of people would be way ahead of you...

Bill W
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose

10-06-2005, 7:30 PM
They can actually do that?

icormba
10-07-2005, 3:48 PM
Bill-

I was/am the tall skinny guy that couldn't decide if his hair should be blue or red and settled on purple.

Damn!
Chris (QuarterBoreGunner) is the one who sold me my Bushmaster AR15 back in the day for about $480?

I couldn't decide if I liked him back then or not... that crazy hair!! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

...but after hearing and remembering this story a few years ago from my SCPD & SCFD buddies and Chris stating he was that employee!! DAMN!! your a good guy Man!! Sure glad someone handled themselves as well as you did. Still glad your around too!