PDA

View Full Version : Sherrif's posse question

soldier07110
07-25-2009, 9:32 PM
I'm located in Ventura County and I have friends up North in Atascadero that are in their local Sherrif's posse. I'm curious to know if there is one around here, and if so what can I do to inquire about joining. And I'd also like to know what being in it entails/requires.

Thanks in advance!

WallyGeorge
07-25-2009, 10:15 PM
San Luis Obispo County has a "Sheriffs Posse"? Wow, lived here a long time and never heard of it. Atascadero has its own LE Dept., so maybe civilian volunteers? Not 100% on this, but it sounds like BS to me.

retired
07-25-2009, 10:31 PM
San Luis Obispo County has a "Sheriffs Posse"? Wow, lived here a long time and never heard of it. Atascadero has its own LE Dept., so maybe civilian volunteers? Not 100% on this, but it sounds like BS to me.

So I know exactly where you are coming from, what exactly are you referring to in the bolded part. The OP's statement, his friends' statement. Please elaborate.

soldier07110
07-25-2009, 11:05 PM
I'm 100% serious. I'd like to know what (in your eyes) is "BS" as well please.

CSACANNONEER
07-25-2009, 11:43 PM
I did a couple years in SLO Search and Rescue. Yes, they also have a Posse. IIRC, both maintaining SAR and Posses are required for every SO in the state. Remarkably, providing patrol units are not mandated by the state. Anyway, most Posses are made up of a bunch of good ol' boys who are personal friends of the sherriff or, have ties to other posse members. If you are interested in joining your local posse, call the SO and ask about it. If you can't get any info over the phone, PM me and I'll connect you with someone who should be able to point you in the right dirrection.

soldier07110
07-25-2009, 11:51 PM
I did a couple years in SLO Search and Rescue. Yes, they also have a Posse. IIRC, both maintaining SAR and Posses are required for every SO in the state. Remarkably, providing patrol units are not mandated by the state. Anyway, most Posses are made up of a bunch of good ol' boys who are personal friends of the sherriff or, have ties to other posse members. If you are interested in joining your local posse, call the SO and ask about it. If you can't get any info over the phone, PM me and I'll connect you with someone who should be able to point you in the right dirrection.

Thanks very much CSACANNONEER,

I'll be sure to call tomorrow. I was planning on doing that eventually, just didn't want them to not know what the heck I was talking about. I really appreciate your offer to connect me with someone too, hopefully I'll be able to find out what to do on my own so as not to waste your time, but I'll let you know if that isn't the case. Cheers.

Ron-Solo
07-26-2009, 12:31 AM
Depending on where you live, you might want to contact one of the LA County Sheriff's Stations on the north end of LA County. Malibu/Lost Hills, Lancaster/Palmdale. Just depends how far away you are.

Posse's are very helpful in many respects.

soldier07110
07-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Depending on where you live, you might want to contact one of the LA County Sheriff's Stations on the north end of LA County. Malibu/Lost Hills, Lancaster/Palmdale. Just depends how far away you are.

Posse's are very helpful in many respects.

Ok, I'll try that as well. Thanks.

oldironpants
07-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Ventura S.O. does have a posse if you're talking "mounted." They work with the MEU and not sure about SAR. I used to know several on the team, but that's been some time ago with a LODD and retirements. Just go to the Ventura S.O. site (http://www.vcsd.org/who_contact/index.html) and call H&R or the Sheriff's Information line.

SanSacto
07-26-2009, 12:03 PM

If you call BS on somebody you need to elaborate. Please feel free to explain yourself after calling somebody out like that.

CSACANNONEER
07-26-2009, 12:25 PM

If you call BS on somebody you need to elaborate. Please feel free to explain yourself after calling somebody out like that.

He just doesn't have any clue. I've come off Cuesta Grade with a body that the Posse had just recovered from a remote campsite. It had been there over a week in summer heat. It was a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head.The guy had been wanted for a double homicide in Vegas and had been recently featured on a new TV shoe "America's Most Wanted". He had parked at the top of the grade and hiked several miles east to an old campsite. A few days later, this old trapper, I knew a little bit, thought the suspects truck was suspiceous and reported it to the SO. They found the body shortly after that. I was hunting up there the day the body was recovered. I ended up coming down the hill in the back of the van with the body in it. I never saw anything but the jello like body bag but, the SLO Posse earned their keep that day.

WallyGeorge
07-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Wow,
Sorry to piss everyone off here. I asked a co-worker who worked San Luis County Sheriffs Dept. and he mentioned Search and Rescue, but had not heard of the "posse". Sorry for the confusion, no disrespect meant here.

oldironpants
07-26-2009, 1:25 PM
Clarification:

It is correct that Patrol is not a mandated function of the Sheriff's Department. However, the mandated functions are as follows; Court Services (bailiff), Civil Process, SAR, & Jail. However, a "posse," is not a mandated function of the S.O.

CALIFORNIA CODES
GOVERNMENT CODE SECTION 26600-26616

We do not have a posse, but our SAR members routinely assist with body recoveries in the remote areas. Posse members may or may not have enforcement powers unless they have 832 PC status such as reserve officers. Many units are civilian volunteers, like SAR, that do not have enforcement powers. In some instances, posse's are ceremonial units for their department while other may serve in many different manners of patrol but in a citizen capacity.

I am not downplaying the posse role for they are a valuable asset in the capacity that they serve, but not a mandated entity.

CSACANNONEER
07-26-2009, 1:45 PM
Clarification:

It is correct that Patrol is not a mandated function of the Sheriff's Department. However, the mandated functions are as follows; Court Services (bailiff), Civil Process, SAR, & Jail. However, a "posse," is not a mandated function of the S.O.

CALIFORNIA CODES
GOVERNMENT CODE SECTION 26600-26616

We do not have a posse, but our SAR members routinely assist with body recoveries in the remote areas. Posse members may or may not have enforcement powers unless they have 832 PC status such as reserve officers. Many units are civilian volunteers, like SAR, that do not have enforcement powers. In some instances, posse's are ceremonial units for their department while other may serve in many different manners of patrol but in a citizen capacity.

I am not downplaying the posse role for they are a valuable asset in the capacity that they serve, but not a mandated entity.

Thanks for the clarification.

retired
07-26-2009, 1:51 PM
Thanks WallyGeorge for the clarification.

oldironpants
07-26-2009, 2:02 PM
Thanks for the clarification.Not a problem. Heck, it's hard for us to keep track sometimes! ;);) I brought up to the Sheriff that I didn't have to patrol one day....I was overruled.:eek:

CSACANNONEER
07-26-2009, 6:42 PM
Not a problem. Heck, it's hard for us to keep track sometimes! ;);) I brought up to the Sheriff that I didn't have to patrol one day....I was overruled.:eek:

Funny how that works. Which dept. are you with?

soldier07110
07-27-2009, 8:14 AM
Just found this site yesterday, under the SLO sherrif's volunteer section there's a search and rescue, aero squad, dive team, and sheriff's posse. Is this not current?

http://www.slosheriff.org/volunteer.htm

fourXfour
07-27-2009, 12:38 PM
I do recall hearing (completely unconfirmed) that some sheriffs only allow campaign supporters into their posse. Badge, ID and CCW are also provided. Without naming juridictions, has anyone else heard this?

mattman
07-27-2009, 2:27 PM
You need cowboy boots, chaps and a six shooter if you want to join.:D

Ron-Solo
07-27-2009, 2:54 PM
You need cowboy boots, chaps and a six shooter if you want to join.:D

Don't forget the white hat :43:

Ron-Solo
07-27-2009, 3:00 PM
I remember years ago I was working at Lakewood Station when we were getting hammered by GTA's and auto burgs out of the Lakewood Mall at Christmas time. They deployed a couple of posse members (reserves) on horseback to patrol the parking lots. The parking lot crimes dropped to zero while the posse was 10-8, and greatly reduced even when they weren't. Add the PR bonus to the mix and you have a winning situation. Who doesn't like a horse?

An active posse is worth it's weight in gold if properly trained and deployed. when they built Walnut Staton in 1987, it had its own corral off the parking lot.