PDA

View Full Version : What's this BTT baloney?


neveragain@juno.com
06-17-2005, 6:22 PM
Why is it that anyone who wants to move their "for sale" ad back to the top is allowed to just move it up at will by entering a "BTT" reply? This is very unfair to those who have just listed an item and are suddenly pushed down to a lower position. I think this should be prohibited.

BigAL
06-17-2005, 6:25 PM
If you can't beat 'em...

1919_4_ME
06-17-2005, 7:53 PM
Wonderwhippet,
None to worry you will be doing the same thing after awhile,lol.No really I thought it was ok on most forums to be able to do a BTT after 3 days to keep it fresh.It gets a little frustrating thought when people do it every other hour.Wonder if your post drops halfway down the page why dont you just BBT it? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

rkt88edmo
06-17-2005, 8:50 PM
hmmm...so I went and looked at the for sale forum and none of the top ads in either category have any BTT in them. Did that get cleaned up or are you just complaining about the practice on other forums?

BTT is annoying if abused, but useful and helpful when used with discretion http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Turbinator
06-18-2005, 7:58 AM
AR15.com has a rule that you can't do BTT's until your ad hits the 4th page. I sort of followed that rule here, except that since Calguns has much less traffic, I wait until it hits the 2nd page (which takes awhile here!!). It's a courtesy to the devoted readers but it helps me capture any stragglers who don't read every day and who might pop in once a month or something to see what's going on.

If it's abused, I agree that it would be annoying and should not be allowed. However, I haven't seen anyone in particular abusing the "BTT" postings, so I don't believe anything really needs to be done about it right now.

Turby

bear
07-12-2005, 3:05 PM
What annoys me are posts with a title like "for sale" so you have to open it to find out what it is, then they don't list their location, sometimes they don't even list a price.
Maybe there should be some "guidelines" in addition to the "rules"?

My other pet peeve is when a seller says something like "S&W 89" and somehow it's expected that you already know that this is a .357 nickeled 4.5" barrel J-frame 6 shot revolver. I have go somewhere else to look up the details. It just sounds so clubby, as if they only want to sell to 'worthy' buyers or something.

-hanko
07-22-2005, 4:48 PM
Originally posted by bear:
My other pet peeve is when a seller says something like "S&W 89" and somehow it's expected that you already know that this is a .357 nickeled 4.5" barrel J-frame 6 shot revolver. I have go somewhere else to look up the details. It just sounds so clubby, as if they only want to sell to 'worthy' buyers or something.
It saves time; if I want to sell my Camp 9 Carbine do you expect me to tell you it's made by Marlin, has a blowback action, 16" barrel, checked walnut stock, hooded red front sight & a scope mount & it takes SW59 magazines?? A serious buyer already knows the details.

Anybody who wants one already knows what it is; I started with a little of your same issue a lot of years ago & learned a LOT by looking up model numbers from FS ads. Google's your pal.

I agree completely with ads that don't show a price & at least north/central/southern CA or out of state.

-hanko

esskay
08-21-2005, 9:06 AM
Originally posted by -hanko:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bear:
My other pet peeve is when a seller says something like "S&W 89" and somehow it's expected that you already know that this is a .357 nickeled 4.5" barrel J-frame 6 shot revolver. I have go somewhere else to look up the details. It just sounds so clubby, as if they only want to sell to 'worthy' buyers or something.
It saves time; if I want to sell my Camp 9 Carbine do you expect me to tell you it's made by Marlin, has a blowback action, 16" barrel, checked walnut stock, hooded red front sight & a scope mount & it takes SW59 magazines?? A serious buyer already knows the details.

Anybody who wants one already knows what it is; I started with a little of your same issue a lot of years ago & learned a LOT by looking up model numbers from FS ads. Google's your pal.

I agree completely with ads that don't show a price & at least north/central/southern CA or out of state.

-hanko </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As for detailed descriptions, the way I see it is that this just ends up being a question of effective marketing. Someone isn't obligated to post a picture or provide a detailed description of what they're selling... but it does tend to make a more compelling ad. So it is probably in one's best interest to provide more details, but to each his own.

Which would be a more enciting advertisement:

An ultra-brief, non-descriptive ad like:
FS-- BHP. $500. Sorry no pics.

Or an ad with Ichiro-style pictures, and a lush and detailed description (and I don't mean copy/pasting the manufacturer's description, I mean describing issues that could be important to a buyer)?

Just capitalism and the free market at work, I guess.

Turbinator
08-23-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by esskay:
Which would be a more enciting advertisement:

An ultra-brief, non-descriptive ad like:
FS-- BHP. $500. Sorry no pics.

Or an ad with Ichiro-style pictures, and a lush and detailed description (and I don't mean copy/pasting the manufacturer's description, I mean describing issues that could be important to a buyer)?

Hah hah.. I sense you are referring to a posting for an Argentine HiPower, also still currently listed on Calguns? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Turby

esskay
08-25-2005, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Turbinator:

Hah hah.. I sense you are referring to a posting for an Argentine HiPower, also still currently listed on Calguns? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Turby

LOL, you get the front page of calguns and it all goes to your head... http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BTW, I found a nice BHP locally:
http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/1470/bhpstrider1bg.jpg

Turbinator
08-25-2005, 9:31 PM
Originally posted by esskay:
LOL, you get the front page of calguns and it all goes to your head... http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BTW, I found a nice BHP locally:

DOH! Caught in the act of hubris! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Nice pic of the HiPower. That in your hands now?

Turby

esskay
08-25-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Turbinator:

DOH! Caught in the act of hubris! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Nice pic of the HiPower. That in your hands now?

Turby

Yup, it's been fondled enough...need to clean, lube, and take it to the range now!