PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo! Owner of a new Glock 19!

Werewolf1021
07-25-2009, 6:51 PM
Finally, after waiting for ages to get the new Glock the wait is finally over. Have my new Glock 19 now and love it!

One thing I have noticed is that the fully loaded mags (10 rnds) are a little more difficult to get in the mag well than unloaded mags or ones with 9 rnds and the 10th rnd is difficult to get in. Is there a spring break-in for the new mags or is something wrong?

HCz
07-25-2009, 6:54 PM
Yup. takes some time to losen it up. Just use the loading device for the last few rounds. It will break in.

Werewolf1021
07-25-2009, 6:56 PM
Yup. takes some time to losen it up. Just use the loading device for the last few rounds. It will break in.

Does that include loading it into the mag well? Luckily I have the UPLULA loader so I think it will be good to go.

HCz
07-25-2009, 6:57 PM
not for the magazine well :p

UpLULA is better one so just use UPLULA.

Werewolf1021
07-25-2009, 7:01 PM
not for the magazine well :p

UpLULA is better one so just use UPLULA.

Yeah, when the 10th round is in the mag it seems like it is harder to get the magazine into the the mag well than when it has 9. I dont know much about handguns so if I am confusing then I will try and clarify.

sammy
07-25-2009, 7:08 PM
Congrats!! I am into my third day waiting to pick-up mine. Picts man!!

Greg-Dawg
07-25-2009, 7:10 PM
It's a Glock. Just slap that puppy in...the way she likes it.

jdl
07-25-2009, 7:38 PM
It is a little tough getting that 10th round in the mag but shouldn't be too tough getting the loaded mag in the gun. I sometimes have a problem loading a full 15 round mag in my G19. It just requires a harder shove.

Congrats on your new gun!

TurboS600
07-25-2009, 8:37 PM
:useless:

The slide is pulled to the rear when loading, right? There shouldn't be anything hitting the top of the magazine or the top round when the slide is open. Something doesn't sound right here. The people saying that the spring might be tight, I don't get it. The top round is gonna be flush with the top of the magazine no matter how fresh the spring is and with the slide open there should be nothing to touch it. :confused:

Good luck with your new toy. Don't forget the pics.

Werewolf1021
07-25-2009, 8:56 PM
:useless:

The slide is pulled to the rear when loading, right? There shouldn't be anything hitting the top of the magazine or the top round when the slide is open. Something doesn't sound right here. The people saying that the spring might be tight, I don't get it. The top round is gonna be flush with the top of the magazine no matter how fresh the spring is and with the slide open there should be nothing to touch it. :confused:

Good luck with your new toy. Don't forget the pics.

When the slide is closed it is hard to get it in there (that's what she said :D). Locked back it is no problem. So I really dont know what the problem is. But I think just slapping it in there is the best solution (again, what she said).

Oh and pics will be up tomorrow hopefully! Got to get some action shots :D!

Werewolf1021
07-25-2009, 9:17 PM
welcome to excersizing your 2A rights, please join the NRA to help defend our civil rights, and end VD (victim disarmament)

Already am and proudly display my sticker on my truck!:cool:

Ruski47
07-25-2009, 9:25 PM
Congrats on new purchase, enjoy the firearm :) It does take some time to get the magazine spring to break in. My guess it took me about 300-500 rounds to break in.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
07-25-2009, 9:34 PM
Don't slap the mag in... insert it in a controlled fashion. Slapping the mag home works, but losing contact between your hand and the mag (as you withdraw your hand to "slap" the mag baseplate) can result in problems. I have observed shooters loading under stress insert a mag, move their hand to "slap" it into place... only to have the mag fall out of the well onto the ground. Embarrassing!

Try this; place the mag in your hand with your index finger along the front of the magazine and the base resting against the palm at the base of your thumb. Insert the mag into the well and press the base upward with the heel of your hand until the mag locks in place. Using the heel of your hand makes it easier to apply the insertion force required to lock a fully loaded mag in place without slipping. Before you take your hand away, give the mag a little tug to see if it's fully locked in place. This will help avoid the embarrassment of having your magazine self-eject while firing.

forgiven
07-26-2009, 12:55 AM
Congrats:)

Turbinator
07-26-2009, 1:07 AM
To the OP - I recall someone reporting this same problem not too long ago.

Here's the answer.

When you fully load a 10 rnd mag to 10, there is a lot of spring tension getting that 10th round in there. The mag is designed to hold 10, and to be safe from the mag possibly holding 11, I think Glock intentionally designed the mag to be very difficult to load for the 10th round. As a result, getting the mag to hold 10 is pretty tough - but doable. Just keep your mags loaded to 10 for awhile, and the spring will take a slight set. Subsequent loadings will be easier.

Now, the reason why you have to push harder to seat a mag that is loaded to 10 rounds is because.. I suspect you are inserting the mag on a closed slide. Get out some snap caps. Load up the mag. Insert slowly into your cleared firearm, slide in battery. Slowly. Notice that at some point there is some resistance. The rounds actually do make contact with the underside of the gun's slide. Applying more force actually causes the rounds to get pushed down into the mag slightly. If you only have 1, 2, or less than 10 rounds in the mag, the spring still has enough "give" to allow an easy mag insertion. But, when you have it loaded to 10, the mag spring doesn't have enough "give" and thus insertion into a firearm with the slide in battery is difficult.

You won't have this same problem if you insert a 10 round fully loaded mag into the gun while the slide is locked back, for the simple reason that there is no interference with the top round in this case. You can clearly see the rounds and the mag through the ejection port, and there is nothing to interfere with an easy mag insertion.

Play around with this for a little bit and I think you'll start to understand the scenario.

This, by the way, is normal.

Turby

BamBam-31
07-26-2009, 1:16 AM
Definitely normal, and definitely will go away with use. I learned that the hard way at a USPSA match using new 10 rd. Glock mags in my G17. We always load full mags in to guns w/ a round in the chamber (meaning the slide's closed), and I started a stage once where I used a new Glock 10 rd. mag that didn't seat fully. It didn't fall out, but it didn't feed, either. After the first jam, I tried the ol' tap-rack-bang, resulting in a weird double feed. I ended up just dumping that mag for a fresh one, but it screwed me up for the stage.

Leave the mags fully loaded, and they'll break in quicker. Congrats on the Glock. :)

Werewolf1021
07-26-2009, 1:33 AM
To the OP - I recall someone reporting this same problem not too long ago.

Here's the answer.

When you fully load a 10 rnd mag to 10, there is a lot of spring tension getting that 10th round in there. The mag is designed to hold 10, and to be safe from the mag possibly holding 11, I think Glock intentionally designed the mag to be very difficult to load for the 10th round. As a result, getting the mag to hold 10 is pretty tough - but doable. Just keep your mags loaded to 10 for awhile, and the spring will take a slight set. Subsequent loadings will be easier.

Now, the reason why you have to push harder to seat a mag that is loaded to 10 rounds is because.. I suspect you are inserting the mag on a closed slide. Get out some snap caps. Load up the mag. Insert slowly into your cleared firearm, slide in battery. Slowly. Notice that at some point there is some resistance. The rounds actually do make contact with the underside of the gun's slide. Applying more force actually causes the rounds to get pushed down into the mag slightly. If you only have 1, 2, or less than 10 rounds in the mag, the spring still has enough "give" to allow an easy mag insertion. But, when you have it loaded to 10, the mag spring doesn't have enough "give" and thus insertion into a firearm with the slide in battery is difficult.

You won't have this same problem if you insert a 10 round fully loaded mag into the gun while the slide is locked back, for the simple reason that there is no interference with the top round in this case. You can clearly see the rounds and the mag through the ejection port, and there is nothing to interfere with an easy mag insertion.

Play around with this for a little bit and I think you'll start to understand the scenario.

This, by the way, is normal.

Turby

Thanks Turby. I suspected that was the case since there was very little give when the 10th round was put into the mag. I assume it will go away with time as the spring loosens up? I currently have both mags loaded to the 10th round right now so hopefully it will go away.

Heh, it gives me an excuse to use the Glock. What more can you ask for! :D