PDA

View Full Version : Off list pistol PPT

titus7
07-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Hey,
I have been looking at an HK MARK23 from a buddy out of state. How or better question is can we do a PPT into the state? If so how would I go about doing it?? LEGALLY

Mike's Custom
07-25-2009, 12:26 PM
No, it can not be done as a PPT. In CA both parties, buyer and seller MUST be CA residents with CA IDs to do a PPT. If the firearm is not in CA and it is not on the list is a LE only sale.

aplinker
07-25-2009, 12:28 PM
No.

All transfers from out of state are NOT PPT transactions. PPT can only occur between two CA residents who are simultaneously present for the transaction (yes, there is a split-PPT exception, but let's not hash that here, as it's not relevant).

The Mark 23 is not on the certification list. It has to be from a CA-resident via PPT, purchased by LE, or gifted to you by an out of state parent/grandparent/child.

titus7
07-25-2009, 12:32 PM
sorry for the ignorance guys. But so if say...a local LE happens to buy it and he doesnt like it and wants to sell it to me then I could buy it from him as a PPT? even though Im not LE?

munkeeboi
07-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Yes. Once it is in ca legally there is no restriction to own so long as you are not a prohibited person and it was transferred via ppt

titus7
07-25-2009, 12:52 PM
They would just have to remove the barrel right? Thanks guys

Flopper
07-25-2009, 12:53 PM
sorry for the ignorance guys. But so if say...a local LE happens to buy it and he doesnt like it and wants to sell it to me then I could buy it from him as a PPT? even though Im not LE?

Yes.

The other way it can be done is if someone moves to CA with their off-roster handguns. They can also PPT it to another CA resident.

The roster only applies to FFL sales to non-LEO CA residents.

Once a handgun is in the state, it can be transferred to any eligible resident as long as it doesn't violate the Assault Weapon Ban or NFA rules.

Flopper
07-25-2009, 12:55 PM
They would just have to remove the barrel right? Thanks guys

If it's a threaded barrel I'm pretty sure you'll have to replace it with a non-threaded barrel or otherwise convert the barrel so the threads can't be used.

titus7
07-25-2009, 1:15 PM
So cut the threads off or replace it with an usp expert barrel? Couldn't I just remove the barrel and transfer it without it. Or does it have to be a working pistol?

1923mack
07-25-2009, 1:36 PM
What about the single shot pistol "exemption". I have heard about this method of transfer more than once on this site. What physically has to be done to a, lets say 1911 handgun, to make it a single shot for purposes of FFL transfer to California.

CSACANNONEER
07-25-2009, 1:44 PM
If a semi-auto handgun, with a detachable mag, has a threaded barrel, it's considered an AW in CA. Not even a LEO (without a letter from his dept.) can bring it in! Just removing the barrel may take it out of AW statues but, it would be a felony to put that barrel on the gun while in this state.

As far as a single shot exemption goes, the gun would have to be rendered a single shot (easy to do by installing a zero shot magazine "sled" in a non-detachable way. The other thing that you'll need to do is make sure the gun has a long enough barrel to qualify!

aplinker
07-25-2009, 4:53 PM
What about the single shot pistol "exemption". I have heard about this method of transfer more than once on this site. What physically has to be done to a, lets say 1911 handgun, to make it a single shot for purposes of FFL transfer to California.

1911 SASS or Pachmayr Dominator is the easiest for 1911, since you'd need a long barrel anyways. 2-birds, 1-stone.

Irrational Voice
07-25-2009, 5:36 PM
It is also possible that your friend could come to CA and get a CA ID (not DL) then he should be able to transfer any handgun he likes to you. Feds require an FFL do the transfer and CA requires (not legally but due to their software) a CA-issued ID. I am unaware of any requirement to be a CA resident for getting a CA ID card.

you can read the application and instructions here:
http://www.andrewsite.com/CA_DL44.html

DMV doesn't put it on their website but someone was kind enough to scan it.

motorhead
07-25-2009, 8:08 PM
nope. proof of residency for handguns.

ke6guj
07-25-2009, 8:11 PM
POR is required on the buyer's side of the handgun PPT, but I have never heard of the seller needing to provide POR, just a CA ID/DL.

titus7
07-26-2009, 7:06 PM
Eh I dont want to jump through too many loopholes to get something. And I definately dont want to ask one of my LE buddies to do something that could be misunderstood as something illegal. Funny thing most LE's that I know dont know a whole lot about the gun laws. Not knocking them as they already have enough on their plate, just thought that it was kind of odd. I found one on here for sale anyways and still waiting for a reply from the seller but we'll see what happens. Thanks guys for all of your help.