PDA

View Full Version : legal knife question...

ChrisO
07-25-2009, 1:00 PM
Just bought a CRKT fixed blade knife, Im wondering how short the blade needs to be to carry and if it has to be in plain sight? thanks! The blade seems to be comming in right under 3 1/2 inches thats from the beginning of the serated edge to end of blade...

Decoligny
07-25-2009, 1:33 PM
You don't have a location, so I can't say for sure for your county/city, but, if you live in or visit Los Angeles County, there is a county ordinance that prohibits the wearing in plain view of any knife with a blade of more than 3" in length.

Seeing as it is a fixed blade knife, it falls under the state Penal Code definition of a "dirk or dagger" and as such CANNOT be concealed. If you conceal a fixed blade knife in California it is an automatic FELONY.

In California I believe they measure blade length from the tip to the handle. I don't think the actual sharpened edge is used for the measurement. This is because any pointed object that can be readily used for stabbing is defined as a "dirk or dagger" so a pointy metal knife, with no sharpened edge would still be subject to the same length rules.

ChrisO
07-25-2009, 2:00 PM
I live in stockton california and also have property in calaveras county so I am back and forth between the two, I want to carry the knife but I do not want to chance getting in trouble and ruining my career " I am going to school for law enforcement".

ChrisO
07-25-2009, 2:07 PM
It is the knife pictured here Ed Halligan K.I.S.S. but with serrated blade...

ChrisO
07-25-2009, 2:35 PM
Anybody have any more info on this? I leave town tonight and want to be able to carry my knife.

tombinghamthegreat
07-25-2009, 3:31 PM
For state law you can open carry a fixed blade knife, no length requirements. Concealing is a felony.

http://www.ninehundred.net/~equalccw/knifelaw.html

This site should answer all your questions.

GoodEyeSniper
07-25-2009, 3:32 PM
No matter where in California you can NOT conceal it. Must be worn openly, preferrably strapped to your waist. I don't know of any local laws, I doubt you'll have any trouble unless you're in LA or SF

ChrisO
07-25-2009, 3:57 PM
Thanks alot guys, it's a pretty cool knife I just picked up should be a good EDC knife. I don't mind OC with a knife.