PDA

View Full Version : Is the ammo/gun shortage over?

Vin496
07-25-2009, 11:10 AM
I went to both Turners(Norwalk) and Ammo Bros yesterday. I haven't been to a gun store in about 2 months, and to my surprise both places were fairly well stocked.

Both had lots of ammo in all popular calibers, Turners even had a lot of .380(I hadn't seen any in almost a year). Guns were a plenty, especially at Ammo Bros(uppers/lowers/complete and even several M1As). Things seemed like they were back to normal.

Check out Bud's online, everything seems to be there.

Looks like the lean times are over. Or did I just happen to walk in after a delivery?

GunDog
07-25-2009, 11:14 AM
I hope you're right. I've got kin in the Norwalk/Artesia area. When I'm down that way I like to check out Turner's and Ammo Bros.

Pistolwhipped
07-25-2009, 11:19 AM
I know for sure that the lower and pistol shortage is over. I went to a local shop that had trouble stocking any and he had 50 lowers and a ton of pistols in stock. The ammo shortage is not over at all where I live. Finding 45 out here is harder than mining cole. I hope it lets up soon because I sure could use some.

Gator Monroe
07-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Lowers & LPK's have caught up with demand and overtaken it (and prices are falling on them also) and complete uppers & BCG's are easily found now too but some Magazines (especially 10/20's & 10/10's and 5 rounders are out of stock in the most unusuial places . Rimfire ammo will be the last to flood out into retail market (With most desired Pistol & Rifle ammo seemingly common again already now or shortly )

510shooter510
07-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Manufacturers are catching up. I dont expect prices to fall by much any time soon though. Like gas prices, once they go up to 5 bucks they will probably never go back down to 2 bucks again.
I expect a gun that was 250, that went to 550, to settle down at about 350-400 dollars. Ammo...who knows.

bondmid003
07-25-2009, 11:37 AM
I was at the gun show in Del Mar last weekend and people were buying up ammo like the zombies were standing at the doorstep. Didn't seem like things have calmed down to me

sd_shooter
07-25-2009, 11:44 AM
The ammo shortage is not over at Walmart. Once they can consistently stock 9, 40, 45 and 22 then we can say the panic is over.

And speaking of Bud's, try searching for a Springfield 1911. They happen to have a GI and a Milspec right now, but that's it. It seems like things are still pretty busy over there.

aplinker
07-25-2009, 12:09 PM
The panic is over, but things are still catching up.

We have more people with more guns, so ammo could be a while. I called October for ammo and July for guns. So far I'm right.

onikage
07-25-2009, 12:13 PM
I agree with the fall for ammo. I also say that we will see an increase in like new/recent firearm purchases in the for sale section due to the next big foreclosure wave coming here shortly. :)

SCMA-1
07-25-2009, 12:15 PM
The ammo/gun panic buying is by no means over, but I think we've hit an inflection point and supply is slowly but surely catching up with waning demand.

SCMA-1

hellraiser
07-25-2009, 12:27 PM
IMO guns for sure is gettin better.... ammo on the other hand seems to be gettin a little better but i dont know how long it will will take before we see walmarts stocked with federal bulkpacks of 22, wwb 45 and 9mm 24/7 again....

glockwise2000
07-25-2009, 12:28 PM
I think gun panic is over. But ammo are still hard to find here in Cali specially with handgun ammo. Everyboby is stocking up for AB962.

Futurecollector
07-25-2009, 12:38 PM
The shortage is not over, people are just maxed out on all CC they own.

sd_shooter
07-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Ok so you guys are guessing October for the ammo panic to slow down. I call December 25, because guys will be forced to spend their ammo cash on Christmas presents! I'll have to start prepping my wife & kids early to expect less under the tree :)

Legasat
07-25-2009, 1:38 PM
Most of the places on the internet I used to buy from are still very short, and the prices on what they DO have are still very high.

I don't see it as being over yet.

GrinderCB
07-25-2009, 2:24 PM
Guns seem to be available - most places I've been don't seem to be hurting right now. The Stockade in Westminster even had a decent number of SA .45's when I was there last week. Turner's is still pretty slim pickins but then they've been in flux with the new ownership getting things squared away. BTW, Turners' Online Gun Rack seems to be loading up lots of Sigs, coincidentally the kinds I was seeing purchased in November by folks I overheard saying "Is this good? I never bought a gun before..." Hmmm...

As for ammo, I think the stockpiling has stopped, most shooters likely have their stash built up. I've been seeing more boxes here and there at gun shops but not yet at discounters like Walmart. Prices are still up so if you have money you can shoot.

Eroland7
07-25-2009, 2:27 PM
I think the shortage is colse to over, but i think it will take awhile for the prices to slowly fall back to what they were...

evidens83
07-25-2009, 2:30 PM
Close to over but not yet. Ammo prices online especially for hollow points have definately went up. Local Wal Marts are still always out of WWBs. Hopefully by the end of this year things would have cooled down..

javabum
07-25-2009, 3:02 PM
don't hold your breath people....i don't foresee a turn around in sight for at least a year.here in fresno i go to an in door range to shoot pistols and one of the guys who works there said that this shortage will continue with guns an ammo for at least a year and another gun store i purchase from told me today that its at least 5 weeks to 5 month depending on make to get guns in due to shortages.both places have been in business for quite some time and have an honest re pore with customers and distributors....and are usually right with their information.
as far as walmarts .22,40 and 9mm can be had as long as you get there the morning of delivery.ive gotten lucky a couple times but for the most part its all gone in about 2 to 4 hrs after being stocked.plus walmart is impossing a 6 box limit(regardless if buying rifle an pistol ammo together)only 6 boxes mixed or separate.but we have 3 or 4 of em in about a 6 to 8 mile radius so i go to all of them and purchase if in stock so i get around the limit.

Rob Roy
07-25-2009, 3:59 PM
I doubt I can go out and buy .45 just like that... So it's not over.

eccvets
07-25-2009, 4:18 PM
so true!

The ammo shortage is not over at Walmart. Once they can consistently stock 9, 40, 45 and 22 then we can say the panic is over.

And speaking of Bud's, try searching for a Springfield 1911. They happen to have a GI and a Milspec right now, but that's it. It seems like things are still pretty busy over there.

chefdude
07-25-2009, 5:03 PM
I am still finding it hard to find .45acp and .380...I hope this BS ends soon

sspen003
07-25-2009, 5:05 PM
The Panic has slowed down. I doubt sales will decline for a while though.
As for ammo. Welcome to the new prices

illuminate10
07-25-2009, 7:26 PM
NEVA!!!

Eastbayguy
07-25-2009, 9:12 PM
At least it's easily available now (thanks to the motherland!)
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/New_Ammunition_.html
Shooting milsurplus+ cheap ammo, until prices are coming down more.

Baxter
07-25-2009, 11:23 PM
I went to walmart @ 4pm today and there was 40 jhp fmj same with 9mm 45, they had 223 hps, really everything but 22lr. Most shops around here are getting pretty stocked up, except for 22lr.

aplinker
07-25-2009, 11:34 PM
I think some people have misconceptions about how it was pre-panic, as well.

It's always been tough to find well stocked Wal Marts.

Acorn556
07-26-2009, 3:44 AM
Pre-panic I could find 45 on the shelves almost any day of the week or within a few days. I couldn't find any 40 but I could find 45. Now there's 40, no WWB and odd sized ammo. I don't think prices have gone up too much for WWB but it's been a while since I bought some. Bought bulk wolf from Cabelas in Reno last year for about $200 i think

11Z50
07-26-2009, 7:22 AM
I've talked to some in the industry that tell me the ammo supply is catching up with demand. Had Wal-Mart jacked up prices like everyone else, there would have been a real problem. Really, I think the situation caused many of us to stop taking gun/ammo availability for granted and to stock up, which is never a bad idea when the price is right.

The gun supply is good to go for most brands/models, at least around Fresno.

trashman
07-26-2009, 7:55 AM

Springfield 1911's are a bit of a bad example -- they were in high demand (and were scarce, even at bud's) way before November.

--Neill

SCMA-1
07-26-2009, 8:07 AM
Pricing always lags sales, so even though we see more availability of guns, ammo and related items on dealers shelves and inventory because sales are moderating, they will continue to gouge the s*** out of us as long as we continue to blindly pay their inflated prices. Until they actually start experiencing a significant decline in sales will they be forced to adjust their prices back down to reasonable levels.

I wish people would stop with the hording behavior (especially with ammo and reloading components); buy only what you need at the moment. Sales will decline sharply and prices will moderate to more normal levels. This will happen sooner or later; I prefer it happen sooner and that's why I'm doing my part by only buying what I need at the moment and no more.

SCMA-1

TZL
07-26-2009, 10:46 AM
I see plenty of 223, 7.62x39, .308 around

right now 9mm and 45 auto are pretty hard to find in the bay area....there are guys trying to sell 1k of Miwall 9mm for $400....i'll pass

big al
07-26-2009, 11:34 AM
once ammo of popular calibers are in stock at walmart and big 5, only i can say it's over.

forgiven
07-26-2009, 12:12 PM
No.

Cameron
07-26-2009, 12:48 PM
I walked into big five yesterday in San Mateo to ask what day their ammo comes in, and they had 2 boxes of UMC 9mm, and 4 boxes of Remington sitting on the shelf. Rifle rounds where pretty well stocked, had some .40, but no .45ACP. Of course plenty of shotgun shells.

I asked if the shortage was slowing down, and the lady said that it's all dependent on their shipment - sometimes they get a lot, sometimes almost none.

Regardless, they get ammo in on Tuesday mornings, and they had 6 boxes of 9mm left on Saturday night. I wouldn't go so far as to say that the shortage is over, but moreso say they it might be alleviating due to other factors - higher prices, credit cards maxed out, etc., as other posters noted.

I only bought 2 boxes of 9mm, so their might be some left :cool:

OldGunTard
07-26-2009, 12:57 PM
The Fed AE 22lr that I ordered from Midway in March remains back-ordered; the "next available" date has progressed to November 28.

hawk1
07-26-2009, 2:31 PM
I wouldn't call it over until the prices start to fall. Thats when we'll know that supply is way up.

HowardW56
07-26-2009, 4:49 PM
I'm seeing more guns in the shops.... Ammo is another story.

One Shot, One Dropped
07-26-2009, 6:32 PM
I'll say that we can call the shortage "over" when Walmart officially removes the six box limit on ammo purchases.

One Shot, One Dropped
07-26-2009, 6:33 PM
I'll say that we can call the shortage "over" when Walmart officially removes the six box limit on ammo purchases.

Of course, they would have to have it in stock, but that's assumed.

Hayashi Killian
07-26-2009, 6:59 PM
Wal-Mart may have also imposed that restriction to keep it's employees from scalping ammunition.

B Strong
07-26-2009, 7:02 PM
Barring something really off-the-wall going down, things have returned to normal.

Ishoot
07-26-2009, 7:03 PM
Someones making a killing since the prices of materials are in the toilet. I just said screw it and stopped shooting. A few years back when I could get 1000 rounds of 223 for $130, it was worth it. Now, I'm just not going to spend $500 a month on shooting. The way the government is running things, the economy is not going to get any better either.

I thought the same for a moment there...but couldn't do it. Might as well give up drinking beer. ;)

RUSSIAN
07-26-2009, 7:03 PM
i was at bass pro shops today and they have virtually NO handgun ammo

Lucky Scott
07-26-2009, 7:05 PM
Stopped by WalMart today (sunday) to do some regular shopping, and went by the ammo section at about 12:30 in the afternoon.
They had 9 mm and .40 and I got six boxes and my wife got six boxes.
Still had more ammo for the next guys.
Can you believe it? In the afternoon on a sunday, still ammo available.
Wow, that speaks volumes.

yasushi
07-26-2009, 7:06 PM
I'm starting to see some .22lr bulk packs & 9mm's and most definitely 40's at my local WM and according to the clerks the most ammos with the exception of 45's are coming in steady streams. I would think if it wasn't for the horders & the scalpers loading up we should be seeing more ammo for the rest of us. So when the panic start to subside we should be seeing more ammo... I hope.

Lucky Scott
07-27-2009, 4:19 PM
Stopped by Turners in Orange today, and they had lots of ammo, including .45's

swerv512
07-27-2009, 4:29 PM
sure ammo is becoming more available, but the question remains how much will it cost you these days....

Meety Peety
07-27-2009, 4:40 PM
I think the shortage has definately lightened up quite a bit, which is why we are seeing more and more guns avail. and plenty of ammo at most rural shops. The reason prices are still high and ammo inventory still seems low in the more popular places (Big 5, WM, Midway etc) is because, like any 'crisis', theres always a handful of retards who over-do it and feed the machine - meaning, until people stop trying to max out their credit cards to make a buck off Calguns' for sale section, prices have no reason to normalize, and inventory obviously won't stay too high for long.

The good thing is, its only a matter of time until the gougers will be unable to sell their stock and will end up right here selling loads of ammo for cheaper than WM prices, just to break even.

Khram
07-27-2009, 4:45 PM
Stopped by Turners in Orange today, and they had lots of ammo, including .45's

At prices much higher than Walmart...

But it is good to see that ammo, at the height of the gouging,Turners ammo tables were generally bare of the popular non shotshell ammo.

As for hoarding I try not to too much but I do a bit in calibers like .22lr due to uncertain future suppy, it's not like I can walk in anywhere and buy a brick for the days shooting. So I like to plan a ahead a bit. Now that I am semi well stocked I don't buy as much .22lr or any of certain calibers.

I am also hoping to see an ammo and gun crash and saving money for that instead of stocking up at even the Wal mart prices.

Bizcuits
07-27-2009, 5:23 PM
I think a lot of people are just running out of money. Give it time people will start buying in bulk again. I know I haven't bought bulk in about 3 months, not because I don't want to, but due to other expenses. I have enough right now, but soon I'll want a lot more :)

stix213
07-27-2009, 5:50 PM
I am seeing both guns and ammo becoming more available. Where it might have been impossible to find certain ammo types a few months ago, now I can at least find them online and the prices are slowly starting to drop from their highs.

A real price drop on ammo will only occur once supply finally exceeds demand and dealers have to actually compete for buyers. Currently everything is still selling ammo wise, so no need to lower prices yet.

You will know the ammo shortage is over when you show up at Walmart and you see 9mm and other hard to find rounds in stock... and then you still see them in stock a week later!

stilly
07-27-2009, 6:03 PM
My friend and I entered into a pact.

We signed it and laminated it and it basically bound us to ALWAYS purchase a box of ammo when we walked into a gun store with a once per month exemption. We stayed true to that for about 4-6 years and then kinda decided to only visit the gun stores 1 time a month...

Now I dunno about him but I have about 4 bricks of CB 22s, 3 cases of 7.62x39 1 case and a half of .223, about 5k assorted .22lr, about 10+ boxes of .308 and .303, about 500 rnds of 40, 700 of 9mm, I lost count of the 12 GA, (around 5 cases prolly), 357 and 44 mag about 1-2 boxes of 50 each and a few assorted calibers. I keep finding boxes of bullets around the house too and all over the place, in the trunk of my car, the floor of my Jeep, even a box of 9mm WWB that was bought with toilet cleaner and a pack of seeds from wallyworld and put under the sink in a hurry.

Moral of the story, finally after about 2+ years of not shooting I have a great surplus of rounds, but now I am faced with another question. Do bullets go bad?

HondaMasterTech
07-27-2009, 6:09 PM
No. I can't find anything but shotgun ammunition and SOME rifle ammunition in my area. SUCKS!

HondaMasterTech
07-27-2009, 6:14 PM
The ammunition issue wont change for at least 3 more years. For some people enough is never enough. Politics drives the current ammunition issue...

12GaugeLosAngeles
07-27-2009, 8:55 PM
dumb question.

CalNRA
07-27-2009, 9:56 PM
Moral of the story, finally after about 2+ years of not shooting I have a great surplus of rounds, but now I am faced with another question. Do bullets go bad?
yeah dude, they are totally spoiled. The internal of the brass go back after about 18 months, so it is dangerous to shoot with corroded casing like that. PM me your info so I can come and clean them up for you and dispose of them for free. Hey, I like to help people in need!!!

1911su16b870
07-27-2009, 10:04 PM
IMO the run on the market is over, the bubble is poised to burst and soon (two weeks :D) we'll all have ammo for cheap!

plankowner
07-28-2009, 10:10 AM
now THAT would be nice !:hurray:

stix213
07-28-2009, 11:24 AM
IMO the run on the market is over, the bubble is poised to burst and soon (two weeks :D) we'll all have ammo for cheap!

You are crazy. Unsold inventories have to start building up at both dealers and suppliers before a real drop in price will occur, but most places still have poor selection still when anything is available.

Dealers have to build up extra unsold inventory on their shelves before they have any reason to lower prices, which will cause them to delay orders to their suppliers... who will then build up extra inventory and be forced to lower their prices to the dealers - there by allowing dealers to further reduce prices in competition with other dealers. But right now there is no competition because we are still buying up anything we can get.

Currently both dealers and suppliers can charge high prices for ammo because they will actually be able to sell it at those prices, so we are a long way away. Yes things are getting better where it may have been impossible to find any ammo of certain calibers, while today you might find what you are looking for if you look hard enough and online retailers will at least have 1 brand of your ammo available, but that isn't that much progress really. My guess is at least 2 months, probably 3-4, before we see significant price drops.

And that is assuming Chairman Obama or Pelosi doesn't open their mouth about the huge ammo tax they said they want and the AW ban that they are waiting to push. They are focused on having those who work for a living cover the healthcare of drug addicts, illegal immigrants, and people on welfare at the moment, followed by jacking up your utility bills for their Cap & Trade plan... but once they are done with that I am sure they will tell us about how guns are the cause of all America's problems and we will need to buy what we can again before it is too late.

Legasat
07-28-2009, 11:28 AM

LOL...Wake up! Wake up! You were dreaming again.;)

1911su16b870
07-28-2009, 11:37 AM
IMO...the bubble is poised to burst...

snip...My guess is at least 2 months, probably 3-4, before we see significant price drops...snip

Do not see the difference in my opinion and yours... :)

unless, as stix says, the .gov threatens to limit, regulate, ban any firearms related items...

stix213
07-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Do not see the difference in my opinion and yours... :)

unless, as stix says, the .gov threatens to limit, regulate, ban any firearms related items...

I just think your time frame is unrealistic. It will take longer than 2 weeks for excess inventories to build up even if we all stop buying ammo... and yes I am part of the problem.... I have 1400 rounds in the mail to my house right now.

Hans Gruber
07-28-2009, 11:52 AM
I just think your time frame is unrealistic. It will take longer than 2 weeks for excess inventories to build up even if we all stop buying ammo... and yes I am part of the problem.... I have 1400 rounds in the mail to my house right now.

"Two Weeks" is an inside joke around here. Usually it means 3-6 months :)

1911su16b870
07-28-2009, 11:59 AM

you missed the :D (smilie) in the parens which usually means a jest...the two weeks reference is an old calguns DOF/BOF joke about them banning OLLs (among other things)

stix213
07-28-2009, 1:22 PM
you missed the :D (smilie) in the parens which usually means a jest...the two weeks reference is an old calguns DOF/BOF joke about them banning OLLs (among other things)

Doh! Sorry I guess that went right over my head!

Rekrab
07-28-2009, 1:58 PM
My mind was boggled when I saw Wolf .45ACP on Cheaper Than Dirt for over $30.

Sure... it's in stock, but I'm not going to pay that much for that stuff >.>

Grakken
07-28-2009, 3:37 PM
My mind was boggled when I saw Wolf .45ACP on Cheaper Than Dirt for over $30.

Sure... it's in stock, but I'm not going to pay that much for that stuff >.>

someone will unfortunately. The high Ammo prices are here to stay folks. Now thats a bubble buster. A friend of mine emailed me today saying a co-worker let him know he has 1K .223 for $550.00...

I simply replied, "STFU and GTFO".

Ammo may level off in price but gone are the days of 190.00 (XM193) for 1K of .223.

45R
07-28-2009, 6:22 PM
I called October for ammo and July for guns. So far I'm right.

A Big 5 manager in the area that I live thinks that we'll see more ammo on the shelves around the same time frame. Hopefully the two of you are right :43:

HondaMasterTech
07-28-2009, 7:23 PM
3 years. Minimum. Politics is behind this issue.