PDA

View Full Version : CAn anyone post a picture of a legal ar pistol for Ca

ruffstock
07-24-2009, 11:43 PM
I need to determine what the correct way is to build a AR pistol. I know there is a law and sorry I didnt post it that states that barrel has to be exposed and that there cant be any thing preventing your hand from being burnt on the barrel area....... Not word for word but whats the deal with this law. Ive seen guys selling AR pistols on this site withe the barrel covered up so lets see some legal and illegal ways of doing it if you would. Words just dont seem to cut it due to the gray areas they leave. I really appreciate your input on this.

alex00
07-24-2009, 11:47 PM
Link (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=110703)
Check here, it should answer all your questions. You are probably thinking of the old Federal Ban.

ke6guj
07-24-2009, 11:57 PM
A stock AR pistol would be an AW due to being semi-automatic, having a detachable magazine, and "evil features" that include threaded barrel, barrel shroud, and magazine outside the pistol grip.

CA legal AR-pistols do not have a "detachable magazine", by using a magazine release that requires a tool to remove the magazine. Because of it not having a detachable magazine, it can have all the evil features, as not as the fixed mag is not more than 10-rounds. That triggers an alternate AW definition.

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

To purchase an AR-pistol, you also have to deal with the Roster of not unsafe handguns. No AR-pistols are on the roster, so you have to use Roster exemptions to get one. The easiest one for most people is that single-shot handguns that meet certain measurments are exempt from the Roster. So, you can use a zero-round mag, called a SLED, along with the fixed mag release, and DROS a roster-exempt handgun. Once you own it, there appears to be nothing that prohibits you from converting it to semi-automatic by inserting a 10-round mag.

aplinker
07-25-2009, 2:48 AM
I'll just make note of the obvious (I know you know this, but for others).

Typically, AR pistols have the three features as you listed, but it's quite easy to eliminate two of them.

The reason they do have the three is because you can't get around the fact an AR has a magwell outside the pistol grip. So, if you have one, you may as well have them all.

A stock AR pistol would be an AW due to being semi-automatic, having a detachable magazine, and "evil features" that include threaded barrel, barrel shroud, and magazine outside the pistol grip.

CA legal AR-pistols do not have a "detachable magazine", by using a magazine release that requires a tool to remove the magazine. Because of it not having a detachable magazine, it can have all the evil features, as not as the fixed mag is not more than 10-rounds. That triggers an alternate AW definition.

To purchase an AR-pistol, you also have to deal with the Roster of not unsafe handguns. No AR-pistols are on the roster, so you have to use Roster exemptions to get one. The easiest one for most people is that single-shot handguns that meet certain measurments are exempt from the Roster. So, you can use a zero-round mag, called a SLED, along with the fixed mag release, and DROS a roster-exempt handgun. Once you own it, there appears to be nothing that prohibits you from converting it to semi-automatic by inserting a 10-round mag.