PDA

View Full Version : A father to son gun gift

fred40
07-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Do I need an FFL dealer to own a gun given to me by my father?

ck867
07-25-2009, 12:02 AM
if it is a handgun, your father just hands it to you and you need to only submit the transfer form from the DOJ and pay $19. If it's a long gun, your father just hands it to you. All rules and laws apply as in if you can legally own a gun and of age. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Richie Caketown
07-25-2009, 12:05 AM
^ isnt the AR techinally considered a "long gun" . I thought as long as there are serial numbers on the rifle/gun you need to do the transfer

CalNRA
07-25-2009, 12:07 AM
^ isnt the AR techinally considered a "long gun" . I thought as long as there are serial numbers on the rifle/gun you need to do the transfer
where did you hear that?

long gun(non AW): hand it to the kid, the kid says thank you, do you want me to mow the lawn now or take out the trash.

pistol(non AW): fill out intra-familiar transfer form, send in with check, done.

any sort of registered AW: son may never own the AW. The AW must leave the state when the father passes away.

ke6guj
07-25-2009, 12:09 AM
assuming that both you and your father both live in CA, your father can give you a gun without needing to use an FFL. If it is a handgun, then you would need to submit the intrafamily/oplaw form with the $19. You would need to be 18 in order to receive the handgun.

Now, if you father lives out of state, then you must use a CA FFL to facilitate the transfer to comply with federal law. The FFL can charge whatever fee he wishes. Where it gets interesting is tht your father can give you a non-rostered handgun because CA exempts intrafamily handgun transfers from needing to be rostered.

CalNRA
07-25-2009, 12:11 AM
and the above is right about if your Dad is outside of CA.

ck867
07-25-2009, 12:14 AM
assuming that both you and your father both live in CA, your father can give you a gun without needing to use an FFL. If it is a handgun, then you would need to submit the intrafamily/oplaw form with the $19. You would need to be 18 in order to receive the handgun.

Now, if you father lives out of state, then you must use a CA FFL to facilitate the transfer to comply with federal law. The FFL can charge whatever fee he wishes. Where it gets interesting is tht your father can give you a non-rostered handgun because CA exempts intrafamily handgun transfers from needing to be rostered.

I was waiting for you to chime in...:p

Keep up the great work you do here on calguns

leitung
07-25-2009, 1:18 AM
where did you hear that?

long gun(non AW): hand it to the kid, the kid says thank you, do you want me to mow the lawn now or take out the trash.

pistol(non AW): fill out intra-familiar transfer form, send in with check, done.

any sort of registered AW: son may never own the AW. The AW must leave the state when the father passes away.

+1.. it's pretty much spelled out here..

fred40
07-25-2009, 6:54 AM
thanks guys, unfortunately my dad lives here in Cali, and the gun is an old school H&R 22 9 shot revolver.

ck867
07-25-2009, 8:06 AM
thanks guys, unfortunately my dad lives here in Cali, and the gun is an old school H&R 22 9 shot revolver.

am I missing something? Why is it unfortunate that your dad LIVES in cali?

Mssr. Eleganté
07-25-2009, 11:41 AM

Go back and read post #5 in this thread. And pay attention this time.

Richie Caketown
07-25-2009, 12:57 PM
where did you hear that?

the local gun shop :mad: ...im so done with them

Futurecollector
07-25-2009, 1:05 PM
the local gun shop :mad: ...im so done with them

there is your first mistake haha,

i hate gun shops telling people FUD