PDA

View Full Version : Metal frame for Glocks

locosway
07-24-2009, 6:03 PM
Saw an add for a metal frame with a 1911 style angle. Has anyone seen, used, or tested these? Do they fit well, and does it help tighten up the gun?

forgiven
07-24-2009, 6:31 PM
Interesting.

leitung
07-24-2009, 6:34 PM
Are you talking about the Robar?

Good luck getting it in Cali.

Doheny
07-24-2009, 6:46 PM
Ask on GT...I'm sure someone there has one.

locosway
07-24-2009, 6:50 PM
Here's the product I saw in a magazine.

http://www.ccfraceframes.com/

Would changing the frame make the gun illegal? I thought I could modify my gun so long as it doesn't make it into an illegal configuration.

locosway
07-24-2009, 6:54 PM
Nevermind, they don't make one for a G20... :(

TonyM
07-24-2009, 6:59 PM
Here's the product I saw in a magazine.

http://www.ccfraceframes.com/

Would changing the frame make the gun illegal? I thought I could modify my gun so long as it doesn't make it into an illegal configuration.

Nevermind, they don't make one for a G20... :(

Besides that, the frame IS the gun, as far as the law is concerned. So, to get one you would have to DROS it, and it's not on the Roster. So, you'd have to have one of the ways around the roster of "safe" guns if you wanted one.

bondmid003
07-24-2009, 7:57 PM
Besides that, the frame IS the gun, as far as the law is concerned. So, to get one you would have to DROS it, and it's not on the Roster. So, you'd have to have one of the ways around the roster of "safe" guns if you wanted one.

Whatever part of the gun that has the serial number is the gun as far as the law is concerned, NOT necessarily the frame

TonyM
07-24-2009, 8:00 PM
Whatever part of the gun that has the serial number is the gun as far as the law is concerned, NOT necessarily the frame

Yes, and with Glocks, that is the frame. We're not talking about a Ruger MK II here, we're talking Glocks.

ERdept
07-24-2009, 8:03 PM
I already contacted them a year ago.

No go for us.

G17GUY
07-24-2009, 8:03 PM
Yes, and with Glocks, that is the frame. We're not talking about a Ruger MK II here, we're talking Glocks.

The serial number on a glock is on the slide and barrel also. People trade these items freely. Why not trade a Ruger MK II upper freely?

they are arround you just have to find them.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=162602&highlight=raceframe

TonyM
07-24-2009, 8:07 PM
The serial number on a glock is on the slide and barrel also. People trade these items freely. Why not trade a Ruger MK II upper freely?

On the Glocks the frame is the "receiver" and the controlled part. On the MK II's it's the upper that is the controlled part, which is why you can't buy this upper/barrel w/o an FFL:

http://www.tacticalsol.com/store/pc/catalog/PL6PA-05_L.jpg

Greg-Dawg
07-24-2009, 8:22 PM
It's just to satisfy the anti plastic crowd. Besides, the polymer frame is made for the soft recoil.

Rudolf the Red
07-24-2009, 8:30 PM
Wow. Some people have money to burn.

If they made the SS frame for the G20, I could see a use for it. Otherwise, it's a reinvention of the wheel.

G17GUY
07-26-2009, 10:31 PM
On the Glocks the frame is the "receiver" and the controlled part. On the MK II's it's the upper that is the controlled part, which is why you can't buy this upper/barrel w/o an FFL:

http://www.tacticalsol.com/store/pc/catalog/PL6PA-05_L.jpg

I understand that we all that thought this in the past. But what makes us think this. Who says the upper vs. the lower is the controlled part? If the upper is a controlled part just because it has a serial number on it what keeps the glock upper from being a controlled part?

Why canít ruger uppers be traded freely like glock uppers are?

TonyM
07-27-2009, 7:02 AM
I understand that we all that thought this in the past. But what makes us think this. Who says the upper vs. the lower is the controlled part? If the upper is a controlled part just because it has a serial number on it what keeps the glock upper from being a controlled part?

Why canít ruger uppers be traded freely like glock uppers are?

Seriously? :confused:

Okay.... The Manufacturer and the ATF, that's who says.

They have to control one of the components as the firearm. If not, the a venfor like MidwayUSA could sell the lowers for a MKII w/o an FFL required. Then, lets say that Brownells or Tactical Solutions sold uppers w/o an FFL required. Two stop shopping to get a non-paper tracked handgun with no background check. Sounds great, but what about the whole issue of no guns for Felons, Terrorists, kids under 12 with mom's credit card?

Get it? There is a controlled part for all firearms. Most handguns it is the Frame, even if all the other components are serialized, it's only for the manufacturer/owner's records.

On AR-15's it's the lower receiver, but on FALs, and the HK USC for example, it's the upper receiver.

Quiet
07-27-2009, 12:58 PM
A majority of the European made handguns use serial numbers on both the frame and the slide, because in some countries in the EU the slide/barrel, not the frame, is the controlled part.

So, it's easier to engrave the serial numbers on both slide/barrel and frame, instead of doing one or the other for specific countries.