PDA

View Full Version : What is the rule here?

Mister BLASTEE
07-24-2009, 6:49 PM
What are the laws concerning bringing guns (rifle & revolver) into the state of CA from another state? If I were to borrow them/ handed down from a parent from AZ? Just wanted to ask before making a costly mistake.

7x57
07-24-2009, 6:50 PM
What are the laws concerning bringing guns (rifle & revolver) into the state of CA from another state? If I were to borrow them/ handed down from a parent from AZ? Just wanted to ask before making a costly mistake.

It can't be done. You'd better give them to me for safekeeping. :D

7x57

nick
07-24-2009, 7:33 PM
It can't be done. You'd better give them to me for safekeeping. :D

7x57

Isn't there some sort of penance for preying on innocents? :chris:

nick
07-24-2009, 7:34 PM

Are you moving to CA, or do you already live here?

Librarian
07-24-2009, 7:43 PM
Phbbbt! Too straightforward for 7x57 on a Friday night. :)

Presume the OP is moving here.

So long as you do not bring what California absurdly calls 'assault weapons', you may bring any non-NFA weapons you like (Machine guns require a basically unobtainable permit; I don't know about short-barreled rifles and shotguns; some of those may be OK, too.) (FWIW, in California, a Taurus Judge is a short-barreled shotgun, so merely saying 'revolver' may not be sufficient information.)

California requires that you register your handguns within 60 days of moving here, or sell them through a CA FFL. CA does not care about non-'assault weapon' long guns.

California does care about 'large-capacity magazines', that is, magazines holding more than 10 rounds. If you have any of those, leave them out of state.

So, what is an 'assault weapon'? See the CA AW ID Flowchart in the top menu bar of the forum.

Same rules apply to 'just visiting', except you don't have to register handguns.

Mister BLASTEE
07-24-2009, 7:43 PM
I live here but folks are from AZ

Librarian
07-24-2009, 8:15 PM
I live here but folks are from AZ

Ah - then one additional possibility, re:"hand down" in the OP - your parents may give you firearms, presuming you are old enough.

Let's say you're 21, just to simplify things.

AZ guns to CA resident must go through CA FFL; because it would be parent-to-child, handguns would not have to be on the Roster, but because it's an interstate transfer it has to go through the FFL, long gun or handgun.

If you're 18, 19 or 20, things are messy; CA allows non-FFL transfer of handguns from parent to children who are at least 18. Federal law, however, prohibits an FFL from transferring a handgun to under-21 -- and the interstate transfer requires the FFL.

And, just to shortcut it, no you can't go to AZ and let them give you a gun and then bring it back to CA - that's illegal.

But it's NOT illegal to go back to AZ and bring to CA guns you owned in AZ before you moved here. Nothing in the law requires you to bring all your possessions with you in one trip when you move here.

HondaMasterTech
07-24-2009, 9:41 PM
See? Makes perfect sense!

Mister BLASTEE
07-24-2009, 10:23 PM
So technically I can't borrow them for a few weeks? eg: go to AZ and bring them home? Two weeks later drive back to retun? Btw thanks for all the feedback guys

Librarian
07-24-2009, 10:59 PM
Technically, even loans are supposed to go through FFLs. (PC 12082(a) )

There's a law much honored in the breach, not the observance.

There are really two questions here:
(1) Should you, as a law-abiding citizen, borrow guns from your relatives in AZ and bring them to CA?
No.
(2) If you actually did that, would you get caught and prosecuted?
Most likely no, unless you happened to commit a crime or otherwise come to the attention of Law Enforcement in such a way that they might want to run the serial numbers. Or, one of the numerous law enforcement agencies who read here becomes curious about you, enough to investigate to produce your real identity and then monitor you.

Mister BLASTEE
07-25-2009, 8:17 AM
Ok. Thanks for the heads up guys!

1JimMarch
07-25-2009, 9:09 AM
The Taurus Judge and any other .410-caliber handgun is flat banned in Cali - the only state to consider them a "short barrel shotgun".