PDA

View Full Version : How does an FFL buy a gun?

cbrrdr44
07-24-2009, 6:18 PM
Im new to this whole FFL thing, so the question is... im an FFL, what is the process for me to buy a gun? Do I have to DROS myself? this may be a dumb question, but I really don't know the answer! thanks!

halifax
07-24-2009, 6:28 PM
Im new to this whole FFL thing, so the question is... im an FFL, what is the process for me to buy a gun? Do I have to DROS myself? this may be a dumb question, but I really don't know the answer! thanks!

Handguns need to be DROSed but not long guns. Claim the 10 wait exemption on the first page.

kemasa
07-25-2009, 11:27 AM
As was said, you DROS hanguns, but not long guns, but that assumes that you have all the required permits and are also on the CFD (California Firearms Dealer).

scr83jp
07-25-2009, 12:11 PM
As was said, you DROS hanguns, but not long guns, but that assumes that you have all the required permits and are also on the CFD (California Firearms Dealer). Months before our dealer decided to get out of the business he started buying a handgun every 9 days so he had visits by CA doj & atf they were asking about the handguns,he had to remind then he was a FFL Dealer an allowed to make these purchases then they left.

tenpercentfirearms
07-25-2009, 12:48 PM
It depends. When I was a partnership and I our FFL was specifically in my name and I had a COE, I could simply sign long guns out of the book with my name and "For owner's personal collection". No ten day wait, no DROS, nothing other than those lines. Handguns still had to be DROSed, but I was exempt from the ten day wait.

Now that we are a corporation, I no longer get to sign long guns out like that. With my COE, I might still be ten day wait exempt, but I never got a good answer so I just wait the ten days anyway.

As an officer of this corporation, I have authority to take firearms off the premises and test fire them, transport them to gun shows, or transport them to other dealers. So even guns in a ten day wait can be taken out and tested.

Basically the only difference in being in business for yourself or a partnership and a corporation, is the $25 DROS fee.

Mike's Custom
07-25-2009, 2:02 PM
You would be best advised to do the research yourself. Everything is available to you at BATFE or CA DOJ and it is all in printed material. If you take someone elses word for it and it is wrong then you are going to be held responsible for it. Learn what you need to do and if you have questions call the BATFE or CA DOJ Firearams divisions and they will help you out.