PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding carrying at your place of business...

CnCFunFactory
07-24-2009, 5:54 PM
I have a friend who runs a shipping store (private UPS type place). He has been keeping a firearm for personal protection since it is not in the best area, cash business. We were talking and the question arose as to coming to the defense of someone outside the store. The specifics are kind of here nor there for the sake of the question. The example I will use is a couple get into it out front. The man begins biting and beating the woman (read) "assault". Can someone point me to the specific legal code that says he can prevent the beating from occurring as an armed citizen? if any? I am pretty sure I have read it here before but I cannot find it to save my life that says that you can come to the aid of someone in distress....

Thanks much for the help, knowledge.

RandyD
07-24-2009, 6:38 PM
I don't have the specific codes at my current disposal but a battery may not be a justifiable reason for your friend to intervene with the use of a deadly weapon.

JDay
07-24-2009, 6:51 PM
You can use deadly force, if necessary, to stop any felony in progress.

frankiejoe577
07-24-2009, 7:12 PM
If he feels that its life threatining he can shoot the person, I suggest not shooting to kill rather but shoot to stop the person.

Otherwise I would just run up tackle the person and cuff them waiting for the police to respond, why shoot when you can just tackle and cuff. If he has no weapon your more likely to get in trouble for shooting unless you can prove that you thought he was likely to cause great bodly harm.

Dick Thomas
07-24-2009, 7:12 PM
Please be very careful when considering the use of deadly force. Deadly force CANNOT be used to stop all felonies. Very bad advice. A couple of minor examples - - felony malicious mischief, ie spray painting graffiti, and/or felony possession of controlled substances. Shoot someone spray painting the side of your building or holding drugs and you will find yourself in jail. Deadly force can only be used in the most extreme life threatening situations.

hoffmang
07-24-2009, 8:44 PM
I suggest not shooting to kill rather but shoot to stop the person.

Without getting into why, this is not at all the best advice.

If the shopowner in question needs to use deadly force to protect himself or another person who is in danger of great bodily harm, he should use as much force as is necessary to end the threat. He should then exercise his right to remain silent until beyond a bare recitation of the facts until he's had time to calm down and speak to a lawyer.

-Gene