PDA

View Full Version : CCW interview next week...

EBR Works
07-24-2009, 3:21 PM
I have waited 7 months since I filed my application with Ventura county. My interview is next week. I won't disclose my GC here. I think it will be adequate for approval, but I can't be sure. Is there any discussion that might be helpful during the interview related to the Nordyke decision that might assist in an "approved" outcome? I spoke with my interviewer and it will be a female deputy with a pleasant phone demeanor. Maybe jewelry or flowers to break the ice? Well, maybe not. Seriously, any ideas appreciated.

Fjold
07-24-2009, 3:35 PM
I don't think that I would bring 2nd A rights and such into the discussion. I would try to focus on the specifics of my good cause statement.

I don't know how Ventura county's atttitudes are toward CCWs but if you think that they may try to suggest alternatives to a CCW for your situation you might have some scenarios or reasons to why other aternatives will not work in your specific situation. (Alarms, hired guards, etc.) It might take a little creative thinking on your part to figure out what she might try to suggest but I would run through some questions like that in my mind to make sure that I have some arguments ready for the interview showing that you have researched stuff like that.

Maestro Pistolero
07-24-2009, 4:14 PM
Way back when I had my interview in CA there were a few questions that I took to be an attempt to see if I was a hot-head or not. The interviewer had a semi- aggressive demeanor for a portion of the interview. Just be calm, above all pleasant, but firm about you reasons and just cause. Don't get riled no matter what they say. Be gracious and thank them for the interview.

My two cents.

hoffmang
07-24-2009, 4:32 PM
I would not bring up any part of the Second or Fourteenth Amendment in a CCW interview. The interview really can only check to see if you are of good moral character and good cause. Leave legal arguments to a lawyer for a time if you are denied.

-Gene

TurboS600
07-24-2009, 4:41 PM
Good luck with the interview. I hope you have submitted your GC to someone who is a SME (Subject Matter Expert) to have them critique it and offer suggestions. Probably good advice not to try to assert your RKBA or any 2A subjects. Just be polite and calm during the interview process. If you haven't gotten some help polishing up the GC, you might want to get someone to help with that. It made all the difference in my interview...walked away approved.

Good luck, sir.

halifax
07-24-2009, 4:44 PM
Way back when I had my interview in CA there were a few questions that I took to be an attempt to see if I was a hot-head or not. The interviewer had a semi- aggressive demeanor for a portion of the interview. Just be calm, above all pleasant, but firm about you reasons and just cause. Don't get riled no matter what they say. Be gracious and thank them for the interview.

My two cents.

Exactly the way mine went.

EBR Works
07-24-2009, 4:46 PM
Good luck with the interview. I hope you have submitted your GC to someone who is a SME (Subject Matter Expert) to have them critique it and offer suggestions. Probably good advice not to try to assert your RKBA or any 2A subjects. Just be polite and calm during the interview process. If you haven't gotten some help polishing up the GC, you might want to get someone to help with that. It made all the difference in my interview...walked away approved.

Good luck, sir.

PM sent

Midian
07-24-2009, 5:16 PM
Show up to your interview wearing nothing but a sombrero.

Great way to break the ice.

EBR Works
07-24-2009, 5:24 PM

Should I bring beer also? :D

RandyD
07-24-2009, 5:31 PM
Apparently your written application and background have passed their scrutiny, and now their primary concern is to inteview you to determine if you are a foreseeable liability; someone with bad judgment or a hothead. The experience of the posters above that had semihostile interviews is a technique to uncover if you are a hothead, and they may present hypothetical circumstances for you to answer to test your judgment as to when, how and if you will resort to using your weapon.

EBR Works
07-24-2009, 5:40 PM
Although it won't be an issue for me, I understand that Ventura doesn't do a background check until after the interview. That way they can delay the process as long as they want. One successful applicant that I read about took 18 months from the app date. I guess I'm lucky it's only been 7 months. I'm a very calm person with zero aggressive tendencies so I look forward to their challenges.

nicki
07-25-2009, 2:53 AM
Okay, my 2 cents.

1. Dress for the interview like you were interviewing for a high paying job.
Don't show up looking like a slob, seriously.

2. Your interviewer reads body language, in fact, humans communicate more non verbally, than what is spoken. If you can get a video camera and a friend to help you, role play your interview, then view it.

If you have a friend question you, they should do so in a professional manner, not like a drill sergant.

3. You may get questioned on everything on the application and everything on the application is under penalty of perjury. No criminal records, including juvenile records are trully sealed.

4. Don't be overly defensive, you may get asked about drug use.

In my age group, the issue isn't how many people smoked POT, rather it is how many never touched the stuff. If you are in your 40's and smoked when you were in your 20's, it probably won't be an issue.

If you have no arrests or convictions you could deny ever doing anything unless you got yourself on film smoking Pot like Michael Phelps or Arnold.

If you have been to rehab, or you have any arrests or convictions, they will find out. That isn't necessarily a deal breaker, but if you lie about it, it is.

5. The sheriff looks at every permit issued as a potential career destroying mistake. If you come across as someone who is unstable or potentially trigger happy, that would tank your application.

So let's get to the "Good Cause".

On the "Good Cause", what you want to do is articulate why you are at increased risk for violence versus the average person. In other words, why are you at a higher risk for violence than say the general public.

You can't use deadly force to protect property, but you can use deadly force to protect your life.

For example, if you are carrying money, valuables or say confidential documents that would make you a target, then you could argue that you risk being injured or killed in a robbery since a thief may want to leave no witnesses.

If your good cause is due to personal threats, then if those threats need to be documented and if possible, you should have a restraining order issued against such a person.

Once we get large enough in size, I would love to see us work with Women so that we could help them file restraining orders against stalkers and have them apply in mass for CCW permits.

Don't bring up anything about your "rights".

Just say that something along the line that violent crime is a fact of life and that while police are doing a outstanding job, they have limited resources and can't be everywhere.

You state that you are not looking to take the law into your own hands, you just want the ablilty to defend your life.

Ventura county does issue, but they are slowwwwwwwww. After the Sykes case is decided, we should have "shall issue" anyway.

Nicki

EBR Works
07-25-2009, 6:42 AM
Excellent advice guys! Thanks very much..

yellowfin
07-25-2009, 6:54 AM
Can you record the interview?

EBR Works
07-25-2009, 7:12 AM
I don't know, is that allowed?

Rivers
07-25-2009, 10:11 AM
A major point in doing your interview is that you are also making a presentation. Be organized, have everything documented well beyond what they will actually want to retain for their files, and basically sell yourself to where they would have a tough time denying your CCW.

Absolutely do not bring up or discuss "how your 2A right..." as that is a deal killer. Forget your politics and focus on your goal here.

One item that can work for you is if you work in areas that have inconsistent cell phone coverage and are somewhat remote regarding LEO presence. That helps seal the message that you are often on your own without any reasonable means to get police assistance. If you've already convinced them that you are not an accident waiting to happen, this will weigh heavily in your favor.

Also, emphasize that you hope that this whole process is just an exercise in paperwork and that you truly hope to never (do NOT say "need to use your handgun") make any extra paperwork for them. Always speak in terms of administrative work and de-emphasize any comments about guns and shooting. That distances you from the Rambo mentality that LEO dreads.

You may also need to handwrite your good cause statement at the time of the interview. Know your points and be able to articulate them in writing.

ZirconJohn
07-25-2009, 10:30 AM
I have waited 7 months since I filed my application with Ventura county. My interview is next week. I won't disclose my GC here. I think it will be adequate for approval, but I can't be sure. Is there any discussion that might be helpful during the interview related to the Nordyke decision that might assist in an "approved" outcome? I spoke with my interviewer and it will be a female deputy with a pleasant phone demeanor. Maybe jewelry or flowers to break the ice? Well, maybe not. Seriously, any ideas appreciated.

My advise; Be yourself.

All this technical advise is too much interference with the very thing your interviewer wants to see... relax; go in a calm relaxed demeanor... and just be you.

Nothing to worry about... they may have already decided whether you will receive your CCW, or not. Stressing over all this outside information will only create tension. Act as if you have your CCW, and you are going in to say 'thank you'.

The interview is a formality.

EBR Works
07-28-2009, 4:25 PM
Well.....the interview went off with 0 drama points. My interviewer was a female deputy that was very pleasant and non-confrontational throughout the entire process. I spent about 45 minutes with her answering questions on the app and discussing my GC. The only thing I slipped up on was disclosure of a couple of moving violations that I didn't think I had to disclose since I had gone to traffic school for them. It was truly amazing the things she asked and knew about me relating to past events in my life that I had completely forgotten. It turns out that Ventura has a total of one (1) person to handle all CCW apps at this time down from the two (2) that they had before the current financial crisis. She told me I would have my response within 30 days, so the wait continues......

Bugei
07-29-2009, 9:53 AM
Didn't see anyone else mention this, so I'll throw it in for others who are coming up on interview. Mention a layered defense. Carry pepper spray for those defensive situations that don't yet call for the more serious firearm defense. I didn't do this and my GC was approved, but in a county with a more lenient view of GC, but someone suggested this later. Police do this, so they must view it as a good idea, to start with minimum force and escalate as necessary. Just a thought.

My feeling was that the interview was just a process of having a seasoned office look you over to make sure that a guy that looks good on paper wasn't just someone who looks good on paper. They want you to pass the sniff test with a guy who had an instinct. Like I said, more lenient county, so your mileage may vary.

jacques
07-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Good job. I would assume you are good to go.

Irrational Voice
07-29-2009, 11:14 AM

Just don't tell them WHERE you plan on concealing your gun.