PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info/people to consult on Open Carry in San Francisco

WeekendWarrior
07-24-2009, 2:49 PM
I have been doing some initial research on Open Carry, and HAVE used the SEARCH feature on Calguns, but most open carry info pertains to SoCal and a little for Sac. Well, I am in San Francisco and would love to speak with someone that open carries here in SF. I want to talk with you about your experience with LEOs and general public reactions. I assume in San Fran you need to carry paperwork with you at all times on the laws that are on the books to prove it's legal. I have checked out the various open carry websites and seen memos to LEOs from many SoCal cities, but none from up north. Please share your experiences. One day I would love to start open carrying myself. Any information you have will be a huge help. If there is a network of people who open carry, would love it if someone PMed me contact information.

Thanks for the help everyone! God Bless the Constitution!

subse7en
07-24-2009, 3:00 PM
I would start your journey from this site:

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/

I just joined awhile ago and you can talk to peeps in your local area.

gadjeep
07-24-2009, 3:08 PM
The constitution is a wonderful thing but unfortunately it rarely seems to apply her in SF. I admire your bravery in wanting to open carry here but I could never recommend you doing it.
You would have a better reception from the public if you: had a bowel movement on the steps of city hall and wiped yourself with a burning american (not rainbow) flag while performing an unnatural sex act on a donkey while dressed as Adolph Hitler in drag singing the North Korean national anthem.

Just my opinion. Let me know how it goes.

gotgunz
07-24-2009, 3:13 PM
You would have a better reception from the public if you: had a bowel movement on the steps of city hall and wiped yourself with a burning american (not rainbow) flag while performing an unnatural sex act on a donkey while dressed as Adolph Hitler in drag singing the North Korean national anthem.

That was not a picture I needed in my head today! LOL

gotgunz
07-24-2009, 3:14 PM

I would not start the journey there. That site is for concealed carry and they tend to frown upon UOC.

flatovercrest
07-24-2009, 3:20 PM
The constitution is a wonderful thing but unfortunately it rarely seems to apply her in SF. I admire your bravery in wanting to open carry here but I could never recommend you doing it.

OK, this has to be the best reply on Calguns in a while... :43:

jazman
07-24-2009, 3:22 PM
I would start your learning on the second amendment forum right here on Cal Guns, better place for UOC than the hand gun section in my opinion.

berto
07-24-2009, 3:26 PM
I'm not sure anybody open carries in SF. I don't think it would be a good idea to start. The local politicians come up with enough stupid legislation on their own without open carriers freaking out the usual suspects and giving them ideas. Just my two cents, please reconsider.

BlackDrop50
07-24-2009, 3:38 PM
I wouldn't try it....

You should also hang out in the 2A forum for a while before thinking of stuff like this.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=205469

hoffmang
07-24-2009, 4:38 PM
San Francisco is most certainly not the right place to start open carrying at this time.

We had a guy threaten the pink pistols in the gay pride parade. Think about that...

-Gene

leitung
07-24-2009, 6:31 PM
I would not OC in SF if my life depended on it. Hell I keep my head on a swivel when I did it in Nevada.. I would never try it in the liberal hell hole of SF.

Doheny
07-24-2009, 6:49 PM
I would not start the journey there. That site is for concealed carry and they tend to frown upon UOC.

I agree 100%. They're a CCW site, not a OC site. They are very anti-OC.

WeekendWarrior
07-24-2009, 7:58 PM
Yeah, I kinda figured as much, but I'm one of those people that believes the constitution has the final say, so I hate to think I'm giving up my rights because the community I'm in has a certain veiw point. I hate reading about UOC in other cities and knowing I cant do it in mine because people are lame. I already considered this in my original thought process. My plan was to dress as cop like as possible to try and somewhat blend in. Polo tucked into khaki pants, flexfit ball cap, cop sunglasses, small gold chain (hahahahaha). Anyway, I will continue to research. Maybe I can find 10 other peoples who would be interested in trying it out as a group, there is strength in numbers.

Geo
07-24-2009, 8:07 PM
Please OC in SF. I want to read about you in the news.

CitaDeL
07-24-2009, 8:13 PM

Not only are they a concealed carry forum, they are adamantly anti-open carry. They do not permit discussion or inquiries about exposed carry.

QuarterBoreGunner
07-24-2009, 8:35 PM
I would never try it in the liberal hell hole of SF.

That's a very broad brush you're painting with.

trashman
07-24-2009, 8:42 PM
That's a very broad brush you're painting with.

Yeah, seriously. Liberal? Yeah, that it is. But hell hole? Really?..

I mean, I actually spend a significant amount of time working in Palmdale...how much time do you spend here?

--Neill

Z ME FLY
07-24-2009, 8:45 PM
too much fud for you too open carry. fud meaning people who don't the know the law and will lock you up. yes it is legal but do you really want to go over the hassle of getting arrested and or going to court? do you have a legal fund to back you up incase?

hawk1
07-24-2009, 8:52 PM
Yeah, I kinda figured as much, but I'm one of those people that believes the constitution has the final say, so I hate to think I'm giving up my rights because the community I'm in has a certain veiw point. I hate reading about UOC in other cities and knowing I cant do it in mine because people are lame. I already considered this in my original thought process. My plan was to dress as cop like as possible to try and somewhat blend in. Polo tucked into khaki pants, flexfit ball cap, cop sunglasses, small gold chain (hahahahaha). Anyway, I will continue to research. Maybe I can find 10 other peoples who would be interested in trying it out as a group, there is strength in numbers.

While you do your research be sure and build up your own warchest of money for if or when they arrest you. No matter if you are right or wrong, I'm guessing you'll need around $25K minimum to defend yourself.

QuarterBoreGunner
07-24-2009, 8:56 PM
At this time, I do believe it would be ultimately futile, but entertaining to watch, nonetheless.

oaklander
07-24-2009, 8:57 PM
Dressing like a police officer (or even attempting to) would likely get you an additional charge on top of whatever they come up with for the gun. The press would also have a field day with it.

oaklander
07-24-2009, 8:58 PM
If you do it -- lulz are inevitable. Please videotape and post to youtube after your release. . .

At this time, I do believe it would be ultimately futile, but entertaining to watch, nonetheless.

flatovercrest
07-24-2009, 9:00 PM
Please OC in SF. I want to read about you in the news.

too funny... :p

flatovercrest
07-24-2009, 9:04 PM
Not only are they a concealed carry forum, they are adamantly anti-open carry. They do not permit discussion or inquiries about exposed carry.

We should all sign up and open topics on Oper Carry then :43:

paul0660
07-24-2009, 9:14 PM
I don't think you can go three blocks in Frisco without being in a school zone. I am pretty sure the OP is kidding, or REALLY uninformed.

QuarterBoreGunner
07-24-2009, 9:17 PM
I don't think you can go three blocks in Frisco without being in a school zone.

It's a very small city...

trashman
07-24-2009, 9:52 PM

Sure seems like it. My front door is about 400 feet from a school -- and I live on a dead end street...

Come to think of it, all three places I've lived in SF are less than 400 feet from a school...

--Neill

WeekendWarrior
07-25-2009, 12:43 AM
It was a pseudo joke thread, but I also saw a posting on youtube where a guy talked about his experience with OC is SF. Thats what sparked my interest.

MrEd
07-25-2009, 2:02 AM
You would get all the wrong kind of attention , dressing as a cop like would make you stand out like a sore thumb . You would have a very limited area free of school zones .
And one thing you might want to keep in mind , you would face SFPD with drawn guns , if you knew how well they shoot you would be TERRIFIED .
The Board of Supervisor would use YOU as a reason to write all kinds of crazy ordinances ( remember Chris Daly ? ) and would be thrown in Jail waiting to hear what Kamala wants to do with you . it would cost you a small fortune to dig yourself out from under all those charges .

hoffmang
07-25-2009, 11:33 AM
and would be thrown in Jail waiting to hear what Kamala wants to do with you .

This might be a feature and not a bug!

-Gene

paul0660
07-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Got a link to that vid Warrior? I can't find it.

trendar5
07-25-2009, 5:05 PM
I think you would be jumped by a gang of animal turds and the gun would be stolen from your hip. Seriously.

chefdude
07-25-2009, 5:42 PM
San Fran is an anomaly...I dont know if that would be the place to do it...Start in Walnut Creek and slowly work your way West.....

gotgunz
07-25-2009, 8:46 PM
I was down there last weekend... went out on the bay, had lunch at Fog City Diner (unimpressed btw), walked around Pier 39..... all the typical tourist stuff.

Not a single person was scared or ran for their lives, called the police or anything due to the 1911 on my hip or the extra mags on the other hip.

Oh wait, they were concealed so nobody knew. :clap:

darkwater
07-26-2009, 8:41 PM
Have you checked out this site on CA Open Carry? http://www.californiaopencarry.org/

MajorBoothroyd
07-27-2009, 12:10 AM

Too right regarding the school zones!

But for the record, it's San Francisco. SF and The City work, San Fran if you absolutely must...but don't call it Frisco. :)

Army
07-27-2009, 8:34 AM
Dressing like a Cop, may get you a date in the Tenderloin :D

gotgunz
07-27-2009, 9:35 AM
Dressing like a Cop, may get you a date in the Tenderloin :D

And you know this how?

:wub:

LOL

WeekendWarrior
07-31-2009, 9:25 AM
I didn't mean dress up in a police uniform, just make it look as much like I know what I'm doing as much as possible. Confidence can go a long way in avoiding unnecessary conversations. If your dressed in a Kill Em All Metallica shirt with cut off jean shorts and sunglasses and are open carrying people are going to look at you much differently then they would if you are wearing a polo shirt and khakis. As for places to open carry in SF, I was thinking about downtown around the embarcadero / ballpark would be a good place where schools and other off limits zones are relatively limited. Im not going to go out and do this, but hypothetically thinking about what I would or would not do.

rrr70
07-31-2009, 9:34 AM
And one thing you might want to keep in mind , you would face SFPD with drawn guns , if you knew how well they shoot you would be TERRIFIED .

So true. I've shoot alogside of SFPD many times at Jackson Arms. Let me tell you, I DO NOT want to be withing ten blocks of them when they got into firefight.
Too right regarding the school zones!

But for the record, it's San Francisco. SF and The City work, San Fran if you absolutely must...but don't call it Frisco. :)

Or you can call it The Sco. LOL

osis32
07-31-2009, 9:45 AM
as someone who has dealt with the police and knows many of the officers Id say not a good idea. you either get the butch dyke man hater cops or the ones I know that are old school. just a bad idea all around.

b.faust
07-31-2009, 1:54 PM
Personally I always thought it would be a hoot to dress up in 5.11 pants, Oakley books, Oakley wrap around shades and Blackwater* caps and shirts and wander around Berkeley with cameras and video gear.
About 4-5 guys, some filming, some taking notes.

The lulz would be huge.
Then again, you'd probably come back covered in tossed tofu...

(*or Xe now, but that doesn't have the 'brand recognition of the Bear Paw)

B.

tazmanian devil dog
08-01-2009, 8:01 AM
I too applaud your bravery. However, unless you want the SWAT team called out for your benefit, I strongly urge you to reconsider this course of action. At least for the time being.

rivviepop
08-02-2009, 7:27 AM
Do not carry around downtown - at almost all times you will be in violation of a school zone.

Do not carry around the ballpark - you WILL be in violation of a schoolzone (Academy of Arts is 1.5blks from ballpark, e.g.)

I live and work here, and I can't do anything in my normal daily life and carry openly without being in violation of a school zone - whether it be walk out my front door, walk out the front door of work, go to the deli or go window shopping. If you UOC in this city you will almost certainly run afoul of the school zone provision -- there are tons of tiny one-room (or one-floor) places that classify as schools everywhere.

rivviepop
08-02-2009, 7:31 AM
as someone who has dealt with the police and knows many of the officers Id say not a good idea. you either get the butch dyke man hater cops or the ones I know that are old school. just a bad idea all around.

There are plenty of fine SF police officers who I've had nothing but pleasant conversations with, regardless of age or gender. Your comment is disingenuous to many of them.