PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know anything about the BSIS Security Guard Firearm laws?

frankiejoe577
07-24-2009, 12:13 AM
Hi, I'm a Security Guard and I'm going on Sunday to get my firearms permit. This allows me to carry a firearm at work in uniform, to or from work to my house in uniform and to or from the range from work or home in uniform.

My question is does anyone know more about this? from what I said above does this mean I can pretty much ride around with my Glock loaded +1 from my house to the range any time I want as long as I'm in uniform?

Is it ok to drive within 1000 feet of a school loaded +1 with this permit?
(driving past it from my house to the range)

What other pros or cons?

randy
07-24-2009, 1:07 AM
You may not carry loaded away from your post/job site. You must follow all laws and regs. re vehicle transportation. Locked unloaded.

Blademan21
07-24-2009, 7:58 AM
You should also ask your employer, as they are the ones that have the liability insurance. Then again you should already know this if you had gone through a guard class.

jazman
07-24-2009, 8:12 AM
I agree with the above. Why are you asking, shouldn't you know everything about this in order to even get the permit?:confused:

Cardinal Sin
07-24-2009, 8:21 AM
Last I recalled you can be armed in uniform to and from your home to your post/job. Could be wrong/might have changed. Call BSIS. They are usually helpful . . . usually.

CSDGuy
07-24-2009, 8:32 AM
Last I recalled you can be armed in uniform to and from your home to your post/job. Could be wrong/might have changed. Call BSIS. They are usually helpful . . . usually.
IIRC, this is correct. You can be armed traveling directly to/from your worksite/job. This means DIRECTLY. To be completely "safe" you do not stop along the way for gas, food or shopping. If you leave the house armed or work armed, your next stop is either home or work.

That's the way I understand the law as it pertains to BSIS Armed Security Guards.

Librarian
07-24-2009, 1:08 PM
IIRC, this is correct. You can be armed traveling directly to/from your worksite/job. This means DIRECTLY. To be completely "safe" you do not stop along the way for gas, food or shopping. If you leave the house armed or work armed, your next stop is either home or work.

That's the way I understand the law as it pertains to BSIS Armed Security Guards.

That looks right. PC is 12031 (http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cacodes/pen/12020-12040.html): 12031. (a) (1) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when
he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a
vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an
incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a
prohibited area of unincorporated territory.
(d) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to any of the following who
have been issued a certificate pursuant to Section 12033. ...
(1) Guards or messengers of common carriers, banks, and other
financial institutions while actually employed in and about the
shipment, transportation, or delivery of any money, treasure,
bullion, bonds, or other thing of value within this state.
(2) Guards of contract carriers operating armored vehicles
pursuant to California Highway Patrol and Public Utilities Commission
authority (A) if hired prior to January 1, 1977, or (B) if hired on
or after January 1, 1977, if they have completed a course in the
carrying and use of firearms which meets the standards prescribed by
the Department of Consumer Affairs.
(3) Private investigators and private patrol operators who are
licensed pursuant to Chapter 11.5 (commencing with Section 7512) of,
and alarm company operators who are licensed pursuant to Chapter 11.6
(commencing with Section 7590) of, Division 3 of the Business and
Professions Code, while acting within the course and scope of their
employment.
(4) Uniformed security guards or night watch persons employed by
any public agency, while acting within the scope and course of their
employment.
(5) Uniformed security guards, regularly employed and compensated
in that capacity by persons engaged in any lawful business, and
uniformed alarm agents employed by an alarm company operator, while
actually engaged in protecting and preserving the property of their
employers or on duty or en route to or from their residences or their
places of employment, and security guards and alarm agents en route
to or from their residences or employer-required range training.
Nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to prohibit cities and
counties from enacting ordinances requiring alarm agents to register
their names.
(6) Uniformed employees of private patrol operators and private
investigators licensed pursuant to Chapter 11.5 (commencing with
Section 7512) of Division 3 of the Business and Professions Code,
while acting within the course and scope of their employment.

12033. The Department of Consumer Affairs may issue a certificate
to any person referred to in subdivision (d) of Section 12031, upon
notification by the school where the course was completed, that the
person has successfully completed a course in the carrying and use of
firearms and a course of training in the exercise of the powers of
arrest which meet the standards prescribed by the department pursuant
to Section 7583.5 of the Business and Professions Code.
The 12033 certificate is open carry, and the 12031(d) exceptions are from prosecution for 'loaded', so employed, in uniform, on duty, with certificate loaded open carry is legal as specified.

But not just driving around, and no stops, even if you may have seen that behavior from others (as I have).

frankiejoe577
07-24-2009, 3:51 PM
Ok but it says in 12031 (5) that you can carry loaded to a range for training.
If I wanted to go shopping on my way home from work, I could remove the mag and clear the gun and UOC with no problem or risk? I would have a lot less problems then someone who UOC in plain clothes.

You may not carry loaded away from your post/job site. You must follow all laws and regs. re vehicle transportation. Locked unloaded.

You obiously have not seen PC 12031 (5)

You should also ask your employer, as they are the ones that have the liability insurance. Then again you should already know this if you had gone through a guard class.

They do not explain this when you become a guard because most are not armed. They explain this in the class I take on Sunday but I would like to know before then.

I agree with the above. Why are you asking, shouldn't you know everything about this in order to even get the permit?:confused:

They do not explain this when you become a guard because most are not armed. They explain this in the class I take on Sunday but I would like to know before then.

leitung
07-24-2009, 6:25 PM
You can carry loaded, full mag and 1 in the pipe, directly to and from your work site, or in the "course and scope of employment" (i.e. filling up company car, doing anything your boss has you do..)

I did a whole thread on this over here:
http://www.casecurityofficer.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19

Read the thread, it should answer any of your questions. The class is not that hard. Getting hired is the hard part...
If you have any additional questions let me know, I have all my BSIS permits, and currently work as a Armed Security guard in the Sacramento area.

BTW, the law says "employer required range training". Meaning your required requals for your permit.

leitung
07-24-2009, 6:29 PM

FUD..

You can carry directly to and from your post/work while in BSIS approved uniform. You can also go directly to and from BSIS required range training in uniform, or "in the course and scope of your employment"

Blademan21
07-24-2009, 7:38 PM
Why would you want to UOC while shopping in a guard uniform? Hopefully in your next class they will expalin to you how not to become a target if you are mistaken for a real cop. Good luck.

Stubby
07-24-2009, 10:19 PM
I am no expert on this but I do have a story..

A few years buck an older distinguished gentelman working as a security guard routienly carried his loaded exposed firearm in full uniform too and from work on the Metrolink train:eek:

He caught some flack from a few people/police officers but many others supported him.

Of course he did just dissapear one day never to be seen again on that particular train....hmmmmm

g19222721
07-25-2009, 12:15 PM
I would also suggest that if you don't already have, get training and permits for Chemical agent(tear gas/oc) and baton.

Then purchase a bullet proof vest and wear it all the while in uniform.

frankiejoe577
07-29-2009, 8:03 PM
I got my Gun Permit passed the class just have to send in money for the permit and the finger prints wont be a problem. I already have the OC permit and Baton permit and a vest. Thanks :-) They answered most of my questions in the class

POLICESTATE
07-29-2009, 8:23 PM
If you have to drive a patrol car for your company and go around to different locations you should be able to be armed during your lunch break too. At least you used to be able to.

Glock619
07-30-2009, 3:40 PM
[QUOTE=leitung;2821274]The class is not that hard. Getting hired is the hard part...QUOTE]

tell me about it. im having trouble finding work.

also the vest is good advice and also the o/c and baton.