PDA

View Full Version : Drew Sweatte who is running for Palm Springs City Council

tboyer
07-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Hi Everyone:
Do you think it would be a good idea to make a separate category for people
running for public office on calguns so that the members can contact people
they know in the district and suggest that they vote for that candidate?

Drew Sweatte who is running for Palm Springs City Council,
is pro second amendment, and would like to fill out a survey,
but GOA does not send surveys out to local elections, and
the NRA seems to not want to bother with this eclection.
His opponent is anti-second amendment.
The election is in four months, and I encourage calgun
members to contact people they know.

His contact information is as follows:
Drew Sweatte
954 Alta Ridge
Palm Springs, CA 92262
760-844-2414
www.VoteDrew.com
drew@votedrew.com

7x57
07-24-2009, 12:15 AM
Hi Everyone:
Do you think it would be a good idea to make a separate category for people
running for public office on calguns so that the members can contact people
they know in the district and suggest that they vote for that candidate?

Just to play devil's advocate here, is there some danger that would simply provide a place for anti-gunners to check and see whether their opponent is vulnerable to accusations of baby-killing or something?

Generally I like the idea of Calguns being a clearinghouse of political information if it's feasible, but it is possible there is a downside.

7x57

yellowfin
07-24-2009, 5:49 AM
It didn't hurt Trutanich.

7x57
07-24-2009, 9:56 AM

Good point.

In any event, many candidates are very hard to evaluate for 2A issues, so it would be good if Calguns or someone could provide a place to pool local knowledge.

For one thing, these local harassment ordinances about ammunition, theft reporting, and the like are created by local politicians. It's usually not even possible to find out their views until something dramatic happens, but in some cases someone must know. Local candidates are sometimes easier to help or hurt because the required number of votes and money is much less, and it would be nice if we could pull up a few weeds before they grow.

Here's a dangerous thought--what if we had "CGPAC" which would identify single vulnerable anti-gun politicians and pool money from gunnies statewide against them?

I'm not sure the money wouldn't be better spent going to CGF for legal fees, but that's one thing that could be done with the kind of information tboyer's idea could lead to. But even just making it easy to look up any known information about local officials before going to the ballot box would be useful.

7x57

nick
07-24-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm not sure the money wouldn't be better spent going to CGF for legal fees, but that's one thing that could be done with the kind of information tboyer's idea could lead to. But even just making it easy to look up any known information about local officials before going to the ballot box would be useful.

7x57

Running the antigunners out of the local governments might save quite some money on lawsuits :)

bwiese
07-24-2009, 10:17 AM

Not quite. By then everyone was tired of Jack Weiss, and Weiss self-destructed in debates. 97% of the time this wouldn't be the case.

Trutanich ran as 'clean government' [right now he's trying to recover city costs spent inappropriately for Michael Jackson's funeral drama] with some distance from guns.

bwiese
07-24-2009, 10:20 AM
The NRA guys are pretty good at electoral tea-leaf reading.

I'm betting NRA is aware of Drew and figures either:

1) he's gonna lose
2) he'll more likely win if he doesn't have "redneck gunnie" label on him.

tboyer
07-25-2009, 1:14 AM
The NRA guys are pretty good at electoral tea-leaf reading.

I'm betting NRA is aware of Drew and figures either:

1) he's gonna lose
2) he'll more likely win if he doesn't have "redneck gunnie" label on him.

Well, I'm the one that pointed Drew out to the NRA.
What I'm saying is if everyone on calguns contacted people they
knew in Palm Springs, it would make a difference.