PDA

View Full Version : Glock or CZ

4thSBCT
07-23-2009, 9:31 PM
I'm looking for a 9mm and I've narrowed down the choices to Glock or CZ

Anyone have some advice on what direction to head? It will be a home defense and fun at the range shooter.

locosway
07-23-2009, 9:34 PM
First time handgun owner?

From a simplistic view of point and shoot the Glock is easier to operate. Less manual safeties, easy to clean and maintain, and the price is good.

I'd hold both, see which one feels better. Then go rent each at a range. Find which one you like and go from there.

Rob Roy
07-23-2009, 9:35 PM
IMO nothing beats the Glock. Get it and have fun. Own it and love it.

fd15k
07-23-2009, 9:41 PM
So you have tried EVERY possible handgun on the market, and found that nothing beats Glock ? ;)

If the options come down to 2 choices, one should hold them both, try
them at the range if possible, consider secondary questions (accessories,
parts, etc), and then make the decision. Also it's very critical to ignore
statements like "XXX sux, get YYY".

IMO nothing beats the Glock. Get it and have fun. Own it and love it.

NRAhighpowershooter
07-23-2009, 9:43 PM
glock

4thSBCT
07-23-2009, 9:49 PM
I have shot many handguns but only owned an xd 40 which I really liked, so this will be my 2nd handgun. I have shot glocks before but didnt really like the way it felt in my hand. I might consider a beretta 92, they feel and shoot great, but I've heard the slide is weak and sometimes breaks after prolonged use.

fd15k
07-23-2009, 9:53 PM
One thing to keep in mind about CZ, is the fact that it has rails on outside of the slide, not on inside - that reduces the grip surface, but is said to improve accuracy.

4thSBCT
07-23-2009, 9:55 PM
One thing to keep in mind about CZ, is the fact that it has rails on outside of the slide, not on inside - that reduces the grip surface, but is said to improve accuracy.

I think you meant the rails are on the inside and not the outside.

Rekrab
07-23-2009, 9:59 PM
OK, I've shot neither...

But!

Think about this for a sec... You go to the range, whip out your new Glock and then you look around and notice EVERYONE else at the range has a Glock.

Now, imagine you whip out a CZ, then look around and no one else has one.

food for thought!

Oldnoob
07-23-2009, 9:59 PM
Hard to go wrong with either one. If you are looking for your first pistol, I would say go with Glock. It just so easy to use and simple to detail strip. Also come with lots factory and after market mod parts (and they are cheap). For range fun, you might want to look into getting a Glock in 40cal and get a conversion barrel for it. I have the set up for both my 22 and 23 (LWD 40-9 barrel), it works great.

However, getting a CZ will earn your more "street credit" amount the gun world. Because "everyone and their mama' had a Glock".

fd15k
07-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Here is a fresh picture for you : http://76.94.202.145/cg/cz75.jpg

I think you meant the rails are on the inside and not the outside.

Oldnoob
07-23-2009, 10:04 PM
I have shot many handguns but only owned an xd 40 which I really liked, so this will be my 2nd handgun. I have shot glocks before but didnt really like the way it felt in my hand. I might consider a beretta 92, they feel and shoot great, but I've heard the slide is weak and sometimes breaks after prolonged use.

ok, see your later post. If this is the case. Go with CZ 75. If you already have a polymer pistol, you owe yourself a metal frame. Browning HP, Sig, CZ and Beretta are all great pistols (I like them in that order as well).

Oldnoob
07-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Here is a fresh picture for you : http://76.94.202.145/cg/cz75.jpg

He probably misread that you mention rail on the "slide" part. No big deal, easy mistake.

fcr
07-23-2009, 10:06 PM
I have a CZ 75 Compact in .40. I also have a Sig P6 9mm that felt like a Glock until I put a Hogue overmold grip that fattens it up. It felt more like a SIG Black Hawk which I liked but didn't want to pay for the logo and wooden handle. When I bought the CZ, it felt really good in my hand, I bought it based on what I had heard about CZ, very accurate out of the box. Got it home and it is almost exactly the same dimensions as the SIG I set up. My point is get what feels good in your hand and shoots well if you can try them. That being said, I want to eventually get a Glock 19, and a CZ SP01 and have it worked on by CZ Custom. Glocks are universal and bullet proof, plus if you want parts or triggers or whatever, there are a ton of parts out there. Not so much with a CZ. Lots of rambling there, but just my 2 pennies.

Oldnoob
07-23-2009, 10:07 PM
OK, I've shot neither...

But!

Think about this for a sec... You go to the range, whip out your new Glock and then you look around and notice EVERYONE else at the range has a Glock.

Now, imagine you whip out a CZ, then look around and no one else has one.

food for thought!

Now imagine you go into the range and whip out a Hi Point...

:p

4thSBCT
07-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Ok now I'm gunna throw a curve ball so hang in there with me. A ruger black hawk in 45 colt also looks like a very fun gun and seems like it could also fill the role of home defense. Price of ammo will be a big factor so will 45 long colt ammo put a huge dent in my wallet? should I stick with 9mm? On a side note this will be my first time owning in California ( my other handgun was purchased in washington state ) I've heard rumors there is some test required to own and shoot a handgun in california? Is this just BS or is there something I need to do prior to owning and shooting in california.

fcr
07-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Yes, you need to take the written test for firearm safety. Get the book at any store read it once. it is mostly common sense.

locosway
07-23-2009, 10:19 PM
If you want to save money then I'd go with a 9mm followed by a .40. Since you have a .40 then perhaps the 9mm is what you seek.

Personally, I've always been a .45 person. Although I did just pickup a 10mm and my next gun will likely be a XD .40, unless this Glock poisons me.. :)

locosway
07-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Yes, you need to take the written test for firearm safety. Get the book at any store read it once. it is mostly common sense.

Download the .pdf, browse through it and take the test. It only took me a few minutes to take and I didn't miss any questions.

GoodEyeSniper
07-23-2009, 10:20 PM
The whole "glocks are so simple" argument I find gets a bit old. If you can't figure out how to use an external safety on a range gun, then maybe you shouldn't have guns. And breaking down a CZ is ridiculously simple, if slightly less quick than glock breakdown.

Not sure about detail stripping, but that's not really a large concern for me.

Just try them out, and get what fits you best and shoots best for you. After watching videos of that hicock guy on youtube consistently hitting a steel gong with his glocks at 230 YARDS, i'm gonna go ahead and say you can't go wrong with either. :P

fcr
07-23-2009, 10:22 PM
As far as home defense, I heard guys talking one time and it made me think. If you, hope it never happens, use your gun to protect yourself, it will be taken as evidence. May not get it back for a long time. These guys were saying that if your gun is an exotic things might happen to it, like it being tried out by PD. I have never heard of that from any of my police friends but it gives you pause. I use an aluminum baseball bat, T-ball league model. Don't think they will take it to softball games.

fcr
07-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Download the .pdf, browse through it and take the test. It only took me a few minutes to take and I didn't miss any questions.
I forget about technology, Good point.

Rekrab
07-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Now imagine you go into the range and whip out a Hi Point...

:p

Isn't that what gets you laughed at? >.>

locosway
07-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Sorry if the "Glock is simpler" approach is getting old. A lot of people don't practice or care to learn more than pointing and shooting. Keeping a gun for HD doesn't mean you MUST know everything there is about a gun, and if I tell me wife to grab the gun all she has to do is rack the slide and pull the trigger. Nothing more...

GoodEyeSniper
07-23-2009, 10:42 PM
You know the external safety is 100% optional to use, right?

I also specifically said for a range gun, yes I can definitely see the point and shoot simplicity being preferable for HD situations with adrenaline pumping. Which is why you can keep them stored hammer down, safety off (can only switch safety on if hammer is cocked BTW)

glockwise2000
07-23-2009, 10:46 PM
GLOCK. There's no looking back. Got my self G17, G19 and G26. and I introduced myself as Glockwise2000:D

locosway
07-23-2009, 10:46 PM
True, external safeties are optional. However, I tell my wife to get the gun and she does, but unknowingly the safety is on, then what?

I was always against Glocks because they lacked the safeties I grew up with. I thought a safety made a gun safe. I know have a much different perspective on what a safe gun is. With that said, the Glock is the easiest gun to use hands down outside of a revolver. The one thing I do miss is a decocker, but it would be useless on a gun that doesn't have a hammer.

Fantasma
07-23-2009, 10:47 PM
CZ, Nuff said.

wildhawker
07-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Our CZs are some of the most fun to shoot guns we've ever played with. Best value out there right now. Nothing against Glock simplicity, they work, but they point wrong for both of us and are too chunky. For us, it's a no-brainer - CZ.

Black Majik
07-23-2009, 10:51 PM
The whole "glocks are so simple" argument I find gets a bit old. If you can't figure out how to use an external safety on a range gun, then maybe you shouldn't have guns. And breaking down a CZ is ridiculously simple, if slightly less quick than glock breakdown.

Not sure about detail stripping, but that's not really a large concern for me

I prefer SAO pistols with a manual safety, but I like Glocks for what they are. A reliable, simple to use, simple to detail strip, simple to maintain, simple to get parts, simple to modify, simple to shoot, simple to teach on, and just plain simple to own. :D

4thSBCT
07-23-2009, 10:59 PM
I have military exp. so fire arm safety is a no brainer for me. I think I can pass without reading up if its common sense stuff. Where do I take this test? and does it cost any money? Once the test is taken does it need to be retaken or renewed after a while?

Looks like the field is mixed between CZ and glock so I might have to wait this one out a little longer and see how this thread unfolds.

JJ1911
07-23-2009, 11:01 PM
I vote Glock, I'm a fan of polymer guns and Glock comes in second place behind XDs for me.

Edit: Also, the test I believe is $25, you need to renew every 5 years. You will be issued a Handgun Safety Certificate. You can take the test at any gunstore or range (its an FFL that administers the test)

Oldnoob
07-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Ok now I'm gunna throw a curve ball so hang in there with me. A ruger black hawk in 45 colt also looks like a very fun gun and seems like it could also fill the role of home defense. Price of ammo will be a big factor so will 45 long colt ammo put a huge dent in my wallet? should I stick with 9mm? On a side note this will be my first time owning in California ( my other handgun was purchased in washington state ) I've heard rumors there is some test required to own and shoot a handgun in california? Is this just BS or is there something I need to do prior to owning and shooting in california.

Blackhawk is a great fun SA revolver. I have one in 357 convertible with 9mm. If you are looking for one in 45colt, I would suggest get one with convertible cylinder that allow you to shoot 45acp too. I probably will not use a SA revolver for home defense but I'm not you and I don't know if you are the next billy the kid :p.

In CA, you do need to get a HSC (handgun safety certificate). It's a comment sense test. If you fail that, you really don't desert to own a gun. It really just another $25 tax you need to pay every 2 years.

GoodEyeSniper
07-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Looks like the field is mixed between CZ and glock so I might have to wait this one out a little longer and see how this thread unfolds.

don't base it off the poll choices. Go see if you can fondle, and preferably shoot, these choices. When I was gun shopping I had held dozens of handguns, shot a few. And then I found the CZ, all lonely tucked away in the corner, I asked to try it on and instantly fell in love. Picked up a glock 19 right after that and just wrinkled my nose and told the guy I'd probably be back for the CZ :43:

These two choices are pretty damn different. You want something lightweight? CZs are heavy little SOBs. I wasn't even looking for a CZ, had no experience other than a few well trusted friends raving about family/friends CZs. I had never seen one at my gun shop until I got mine. Had to run home and do some research because it just felt that nice in my hand.

However if I could carry, I would also trust a Glock, and I have tons of respect for the sheer abuse they can take and keep on truckin'. However I can't, and it's not something I worry about too much.

Oldnoob
07-23-2009, 11:12 PM
I have military exp. so fire arm safety is a no brainer for me. I think I can pass without reading up if its common sense stuff. Where do I take this test? and does it cost any money? Once the test is taken does it need to be retaken or renewed after a while?

You can take the test in pretty much any gun shop, range. It cost $25 and renew ever 5 years.

DRM6000
07-23-2009, 11:21 PM
how about the cz's with polymer frames?

Greg-Dawg
07-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Glock all the way.

HCz
07-24-2009, 12:30 AM
I prefer CZ(take a guess where the 'z' came from in my ID). Since you already have a XD, you have a handgun that has decent number of aftermarket parts. One thing that CZ lacks is abundance of aftermarket parts and accessories. So if you don't mind those, CZ is a pleasure to shoot.

SmokinMr2
07-24-2009, 1:55 AM
Aftermarket CZ parts?
Here's some:
http://czcustom.com/

I didn't like shooting Glocks. They didn't fit my hand well and I really hated the angle of the grip.

I LOVE the feel of my CZs.

My suggestion is you go out and shoot both to figure out what you like :)

There's also something to be said for metal over plastic :P

railroader
07-24-2009, 5:23 AM
I say cz. I'm on my second cz 75 and I also have a Bul Impact which is a cz clone. All of them are really accurate. They have a comfortable grip and point naturally. I had a glock 17 for a while. I even tricked it out with new sights and a 3.5connector. I wanted to like it but I had problems shooting it well and consistent. I gave up on it. I personally like xd's better than glock. They shoot better for me. Mark

Ventura_Yak'r
07-24-2009, 5:41 AM
ok, see your later post. If this is the case. Go with CZ 75. If you already have a polymer pistol, you owe yourself a metal frame. Browning HP, Sig, CZ and Beretta are all great pistols (I like them in that order as well).

+1

I've got both the Glock (17 & 21) & CZ (SP01) and enjoy shooting each of them. They're great pistols... but you've already got tupperware(XD40)! Give the metal frame a whirl! You'll like it!

bruss01
07-24-2009, 6:31 AM
There's nothing wrong with Glock, if you like them. They have a great reputation and are easy keepers.

The grip angle is not for me. Neither is the look - just doesn't do anything for me.

I like my CZ's. The grip fits my hand, and the grip angle fits my wrist. I like the solid feel of the metal frame. I actually do like the manual safety. If the safety is on, the gun is cocked and presumably a round is chambered. If the hammer is decocked, a single DA pull fires your first round, light SA pull for all subsequent rounds. I have the Kadet .22 adapter so I can go light if I so choose.

The CZ is less common than the Glock - meaning both that you have to look a little harder for aftermarket, but also that it gets noticed more. Is pride of ownership meaningful for you?

Good luck making your choice.

bombadillo
07-24-2009, 6:49 AM
I like the CZ's much better from a shooting perspective. For a HD situation, i'd say get a glock, but for a range gun, a CZ will be much more pleasing i'd bet.

sd_shooter
07-24-2009, 7:04 AM
If possible, try the guns before you buy. I have an XD40 and a CZ75B (with old style trigger) and like both of them. The XD was first and then I went looking for a 9mm in a metal frame. Didn't want to spend $800-900 on a SIG/HK/1911 - CZ was an obvious choice. It is comfortable to shoot and easy to maintain. At some point I'll be upgrading the sights and hammer from czcustom.com

cindynles
07-24-2009, 7:19 AM
+1

I've got both the Glock (17 & 21) & CZ (SP01) and enjoy shooting each of them. They're great pistols... but you've already got tupperware(XD40)! Give the metal frame a whirl! You'll like it!

I agree you should diversify your collection. If this were going to be your only hand gun for HD I would say choose the Glock (simple is better under stress) but since you already have a striker fired polymer pistol go with the CZ. That way when you are introducing a new shooter to the wonderful world of firearms you have the whole range of pistols for them to try and get hooked.

rivviepop
07-24-2009, 7:38 AM
Own and shoot both, and shoot both in USPSA/IDPA as well. Speaking triggerwise I'm also a revolver shooter so I run the gamut in gun types -- and I cannot stand the trigger (no matter how well tuned) on a Glock. I also can't hit anything with a Glock near the accuracy I can with a CZ while on the clock. I can (and have) out-shot myself using a compact CZ (PCR D) in SSP division than when I use a Glock 34, which is a good inch or more on barrel and size.

Based on my personal style and shooting I'll choose a CZ over the Glock. I keep the Glock around for those matches that need it, but will never choose it as my first choice of multiple. The only thing it's got going for it is it's super easy to clean, the gunk just wipes right off easily from the tennifer/polymer. $0.02. :)

EDIT: functionality wise, neither brand of firearm has caused problems -- I feel that the CZ is the same as the fabled Glock, I see no reason to choose one or the other based solely on this claim of reliability and ease-of-use. It comes down to how *you* shoot with it, nothing else.

caldude
07-24-2009, 7:49 AM
I'm another one who did not like the feel of a Glock, while the CZ75 is very comfortable for me. It's very accurate, and the added weight helps recoil management.

Lyte-
07-24-2009, 8:15 AM
I personally bought a CZ first then bought the Glock!

I like them both equally but they are 2 completely different beast!

45R
07-24-2009, 8:21 AM
I have owned both and I kept the Glock. The CZ is a great shooter, good ergonomics and very accurate but I enjoyed shooting the 17 much more.

BamBam-31
07-24-2009, 8:24 AM
I absolutely love both. I'd say the CZ's are a bit more accurate out of the box and has an edge in ergos, but the Glock is just so easy to shoot/own/maintain/upgrade. Really hard to go wrong w/ either.

fcr
07-24-2009, 8:28 AM
After reading this all again, it comes down to what feels good and how you shoot. I am such a type A when it comes to things techy. I get caught up in the is it reliable, are there parts to mod it with etc.. I think rivviepop summed it up best.

1911su16b870
07-24-2009, 8:40 AM
Glock...try to go to a range that rents firearms and try both. If you end up staying in the shooting sports hobby...you will end up with a Glock sooner or later. That can also be said about CZ and just about every other major mfg. :D

bootcamp
07-24-2009, 8:40 AM
a stock cz75's accuracy is utterly amazing out of the box. For me, the same cannot be said about a glock. I've shot both in excess of 200 rounds and 15yds and 10 and X rings for the cz while i had to adjust my grip to even get close to the 10 ring with the glock.

I don't like guns (DAO/Glocks) where I have to adjust my grip to get accuracy out of. 1911s, S&W 645, cz 75, sw 5906 are simple accurate point, aim and shoot pistols.

Glocks are DAO polymer pistols are still accurate with slight changes to shooting styles, but I wouldn't trust myself with it if I had to shoot a bad guy that was holding a loved one as a hostage.

BHPFan
07-24-2009, 9:31 AM
Do you want a metal frame? Get CZ.

Do you want DA/SA trigger ? Get CZ

Do you want the pistol to have a hammer as well as a safety or decocker? Get CZ

Besides these three differences, you cannot go wrong with either pistol.

nic
07-24-2009, 9:34 AM
Try both and decide. Get whichever feels best to you.
Both are reliable, accurate pistols.
I prefer the CZ75 because it fits my hand better and is simply more comfortable, and easier to shoot.

grim1U
07-24-2009, 9:48 AM
The CZ 75 was/has been a combat designed pistol from the beginning, 1975ish?, Anyways, it's a perfect home defense pistol, no worse than a Glock for that intended use.

Yeah, yeah, external safety oh-my, blah-blah, it's called practice with what you use/carry and it's a non-issue.

If anyone is truly worried about manual safeties, or has no real plan to use their gun, just to a SHTF HD moment, get a revolver, the ultimate KISS HD weapon even easier to care for, load/unload and make safe.

Now, being forced to carry a Glock for work, I would take a CZ in a heartbeat. Not that one is truly better than the other, the Glock just does not point naturally for me;)

So like others have said, see which one feels better in the hand and go from there.

These are just my opinions, but I truly feel people worry about manual safeties more than is ever justified. Of course, I shoot and practice with what I use, so maybe it's just me.

Midian
07-24-2009, 9:50 AM
Glocks

Not my bag.

CZ

Good stuff

locosway
07-24-2009, 9:54 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly comfortable with external safeties and I love my 1911. I was simply speaking from a purely HD application of "What if an untrained person must use it?". With that said a Glock is fine for a semi-auto. There was no option for a revolver here, so I chose the Glock for HD over the CZ.

If I were to buy my wife a handgun, it would be a revolver.

Kingofthehill
07-24-2009, 9:54 AM
CZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BHPFan
07-24-2009, 11:00 AM
I prefer the CZ75 because it fits my hand better and is simply more comfortable, and easier to shoot.

I forgot to mention that. The CZ 75 grip is more contoured and more comfortable than Glock.

BHPFan
07-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly comfortable with external safeties and I love my 1911. I was simply speaking from a purely HD application of "What if an untrained person must use it?". With that said a Glock is fine for a semi-auto. There was no option for a revolver here, so I chose the Glock for HD over the CZ.

Both pistols are good for HD. It still boils down to what preference do you have and which one you shoot better.

4thSBCT
07-24-2009, 11:48 AM
In the realm of reliability where do these two fit in? reliability if huge for me so I have also been considering a ruger blackhawk in 45 lc however I'm afraid 45 lc ammo would be expensive.

Bird of Fire
07-24-2009, 11:59 AM
CZ and glocks are both very reliable.

I would suggest renting or borrowing the pistols in question that you're looking at, and shooting them yourself. We can sit here and argue all day long about what we like, but quite frankly if the gun doesn't fit your hand, or you shoot like a crosseyed drunk guy with parkinsons with it, then all the debate is for not.

Know that both guns are reliable, have a strong aftermarket for holsters and such, parts are easily available, and either would make a fantastic HD firearm. Your blackhawk idea....not so much for HD. A SA revolver packs some punch, but I personally would prefer a semi auto.

And the next jackhole that claims glocks are superior because they're so bloody simple I'll start arguing that a revolver or a pointy stick is more simpler, and logically more better than a glock. It's not like the glock freaking aims for you or anything, the guy still has to practice with it.

TheClap1
07-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Glock! I love my G21, going to add a G19 next.

Fantasma
07-24-2009, 12:13 PM
If you want something better get a CZ75B In SAO...

Wow! Is all I can say...So perfect and accurate. Way better then a Glock!

ChrisDM
07-24-2009, 12:35 PM
I own a bunch of pistols including a GLock and a CZ. The Glock is the ugliest, most boring and dependable one of the bunch. The CZ looks and feels much better though. So the CZ is the pistol I show to my friends, and its the GLock I would show to my enemies given the chance....

neomentat
07-24-2009, 12:44 PM
range = CZ

carry = Glock

stix213
07-24-2009, 12:47 PM

No need to get a book when you can download the official HSC study guide for free directly from the state gov's website.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscinfo.php

I read it once through and nailed the test 100% the next day just yesterday. I'm an excellent test taker, but even if you are not all the material is there. Need 75% to pass.

(I'm now in a 10 day wait period for a brand new Glock 26 9mm!!!!! Very excited and wish I could get hit by a car today and get stuck in a coma for the next week and a half!)

grim1U
07-24-2009, 12:58 PM
range = CZ

carry = Glock

If your going to use it at the range, you might as well carry it.

Quickdraw Mcgraw
07-24-2009, 1:13 PM
I've got both...glock 23 and CZ SP01 and I had a A CZP01 which is the only gun I ever sold that I regret.

to the question...If you want to modify said gun go glock...its so easy!
If you want a SWEET *** accurate gun that nobody has go CZ! My CZ SP01 is my most accurate handgun I've ever shot...I like to shoot it at 50yards!

nic
07-24-2009, 1:14 PM
I forgot to mention that. The CZ 75 grip is more contoured and more comfortable than Glock.

For you and me, yes. The CZ75 fits my hand like it was made for me. For another shooter, though, this might not be the case. Case in point: my girlfriend really liked the CZ75 a lot, but then she tried a G17 and the Glock fit her hand better. So I bought a G17 and she is completely inseparable from it, and she shoots the Glock much better than she does the CZ.

Ergonomics are a completely subjective issue, and both pistols are very accurate and very reliable. These are the pros/cons of each pistol in my experience.

CZ75
Pro:
1) Steel frame helps absorb recoil. Also lends to somewhat better balance.
2) For those who like a manual safety, it has one.
3) DA/SA if you want, SAO is available.
4) Because the slide rides inside the frame, it places the sights and bore axis MUCH lower. This helps the pistol point VERY naturally, and makes it easy to shoot accurately.
5) Well placed, easy to operate controls (safety, magazine release, slide release)

Con:
1) The sights are a tad smallish compared to the Glock.
2) The small size of the slide relative to other auto pistols (due to the slide riding inside the frame) makes it harder to operate quickly under stress, especially if you have large hands.
3) Not as many aftermarket accessories to choose from as, say, a 1911.
4) Has more internal parts than the Glock (for you people who insist on detail strip cleaning everything).

Glock: (My experience is almost solely with the G17)
Pro:
1) Extremely simple. Very few internal parts, only a few operator controls to remember.
2) Very large and easy to acquire sights.
3) Very large and square slide is easy to manipulate under stress.
4) Polymer frame/magazines makes the pistol a bit lighter.

Con:
1) If you want an external/manual safety, too bad. The Glock doesn't have one.
2) Out of the box trigger feels strange/spongy.
3) I've always found the magazine release button to be hard to operate with my shooting hand.

So all the above is basically saying that, as I said in my previous post, try each one and pick the one that you like best, in terms of ergonomics, features, price and your ability to shoot with it. You won't go wrong either way.

-Nic

dexter9659
07-24-2009, 5:33 PM
I have shot every glock and currently available CZ out there and find both to be good guns for different reasons. As mentioned above they both have pluses and minuses. If they both feel right in your hand and buying both is not an option (most places will give you a deal on 2, just pay now and collect 30 days after your first) I would go for a CZ because the trigger IMHO is more like what you find on other single/double autos. Glocks are excellent handguns, but for the gun on which you will base your initial training. I would go for something with external safeties and a standard DA/SA trigger.

I learned trigger control and gun handling on a Ruger single six convertible, followed by a sig 226, then an USP40 (blah trigger), then I used a glock. Remember many people tend to revert back to their initial habits formed through initial experience. A person who starts with a glock can/will become an excellent shot, heck I shoot my g20 at 200yds. But too much glock "can" spoil your trigger control on other types of guns. This is not to say you will, nor is it to say should this occur you will not overcome. Once again, I love shooting those tupperware guns, but for a first handgun... should they both feel right to you, get the CZ.

locosway
07-24-2009, 5:39 PM
Gotta love the 10mm... :)

Z ME FLY
07-24-2009, 8:51 PM
Hard to go wrong with either one. I would go to the range and shoot them to find out which one is better for YOU. The Cz rails are in the inside so it does make the slide kinda hard to work after your hands are slippery from sweat and shooting. The Glock is much easier to rack and work on if something goes wrong.

Go to the range shoot both, rack it and see what you like.

elSquid
07-24-2009, 9:19 PM

FWIW, not all CZs have external safeties. I have a PCR...

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-d-pcr-compact/

which has a decocker instead. When the gun is decocked, the hammer falls to an intermediate position and there is a relatively short DA pull. It's point and shoot; no safety to worry about.

-- Michael

fcr
07-24-2009, 9:42 PM
No need to get a book when you can download the official HSC study guide for free directly from the state gov's website.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscinfo.php

I read it once through and nailed the test 100% the next day just yesterday. I'm an excellent test taker, but even if you are not all the material is there. Need 75% to pass.

(I'm now in a 10 day wait period for a brand new Glock 26 9mm!!!!! Very excited and wish I could get hit by a car today and get stuck in a coma for the next week and a half!)

I forget that everything is available by computer now. I still ring up Sarah the operator to call Andy down at the jailhouse :D-

12GAUGE
07-24-2009, 9:56 PM
I took my Mom shooting 2 days ago at the firing line in Burbank. She had her Taurus .38 and I went to the safe a just so happen to pick my Glock19 and my CZ75. I have owned the Glock since about 92 and just got the CZ about a month ago and gotta say I like the way the CZ felt and shot I was able to put down tighter groups with it. Now as my HD gun my Glock is still there due to the fact that I have a lot of pre 2000 Hi cap mags for it and the gun has always ran perfect so I trust it more. Not that the CZ had any FTF but I just have not put enough threw it yet. I do like it very much though. My Idea for you buy both, problem solved.

FeuerFrei
07-25-2009, 12:45 PM
My first 9mm was a CZ75 and will never get rid of it.
It is kinda old school in that it is made of steel.
It has manual safety, double action, good ergonomics, reliable right out of the box and very accurate.
For a new 9mm pistol shooter, this is a good gun to drive home all the safety fundamentals. Passive trigger safety on Glock works but dosen't reinforce safety awareness. BTW; CZ can be carried "cocked and locked" ,1911 style.
I own both CZ75 and Glock17 and really them enjoy both.
Good luck!

jasonnorcal
07-25-2009, 1:34 PM
Depends if you want a plastic gun or a metal 1. The CZ is heavier so it will have less felt recoil. My Dad has a Glock .40 and it kicks like a mother. That influenced my decision to get a CZ .40. I do still want a G17 and I'll get 1 eventually. Glocks are awesomely simple, but do have weird triggers. I'm also kind of a retro guy and there's nothing retro about Glocks. Remember, it's not which one your going to get, it's which one your going to get first.:D

locosway
07-25-2009, 5:15 PM
My first 9mm was a CZ75 and will never get rid of it.
It is kinda old school in that it is made of steel.
It has manual safety, double action, good ergonomics, reliable right out of the box and very accurate.
For a new 9mm pistol shooter, this is a good gun to drive home all the safety fundamentals. Passive trigger safety on Glock works but dosen't reinforce safety awareness. BTW; CZ can be carried "cocked and locked" ,1911 style.
I own both CZ75 and Glock17 and really them enjoy both.
Good luck!

External safeties don't make a gun safer. Only an educated shooter can make the weapon safe by keeping their finger off the trigger until they're ready to fire.