PDA

View Full Version : first time gun owner Looking for a new gun

The Clarkes
07-23-2009, 2:38 PM
My husband and I are looking into buying me a gun that when i get a concealled weapons permit from our home state i can carry concealled but also be able to handel the kick back on it as well. He owns a Walther PPS .40 caliber pistol and the kick on it beats up my hands and is hard for me to handle. We are looking to get me a 22mag mini master revolver from North American Arms but i wanted to know the opinons the women on this site on what they sujest. Im 5' 2" 110 lbs and i have TINY hands. anyone have a sujestion for me. Oh and BTW any gun we get me will probably be bought out of state and brought back here to CA. I have a picture attached of the revolver we wanna get me.

jojosdad
07-23-2009, 2:57 PM
I am not a woman, but I would strongly advise against getting the NAA Mini that you have a picture of. They are difficult to shoot accurately, and the caliber is minimal for self defense. A .22 is a good starter handgun as the recoil is light, but they aren't recommended for defending yourself.
I would check out Kathy Jackson's site, The Cornered Cat. http://corneredcat.com/ It is a site written specifically for women who are interested in self defense, and has lots of good information and advice.

dexter9659
07-23-2009, 4:09 PM
Check out the Kahr CW9. It is small enough to conceal, single stack, great quality, and very controllable recoil. Costs about as much as a Glock.

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_cw.html

http://www.semperfiarms.com/store/product/other-firearms/cw9.jpg

rkt88edmo
07-23-2009, 7:02 PM
If you want a small .22 you could look at a ruger bearcat and also the Beretta 21 (I think, it is the one with the tip up barrel)

movie zombie
07-23-2009, 7:14 PM
actually, my beretta .25 with the tip up barrel bites my hand worse than some of my higher calibre guns. its all in how the grip fits your hand. DO NOT GET A .25 as it is worthless for self-defense, a .22 is better. i really do like this pistol though!

hi, and welcome! seems of late there are more men participating in this forum than women but i'm hoping some others will come out of the closet to give you some advise.

first, go to several ranges and rent some guns. try them out. see what fits your hand and what you like. DO NOT SHOOT ANY OF THE SMITH AND WESSON REVOLVER LIGHT/AIR WEIGHTS. i did the first time out and i almost didn't pick up another gun to try.

i ended up with a smith and wesson model 60 .357 [also shoots .38] snubbie. then i got hooked.....and bought more revolvers including a .22. my last purchase was a colt mark iv series 80 officers' .45acp. the more i shoot the more recoil i can handle.

a gun you will practice with is better than a gun you won't shoot. more people are killed by a .22 than any other calibre. but maximize your effective power and get a .22 magnum. you can always get a higher calibre later.

i didn't like the kahr when i shot it the spent cartridge hit me in the head and face.

do not discount getting a revolver and they are easier to clean from my experience.

make sure you can fully operate the gun yourself....some of us have problems with slides on pistols.

2nd the recommendation re cornered cat.

good luck!

mz

dexter9659
07-23-2009, 8:52 PM
first, go to several ranges and rent some guns. try them out. see what fits your hand and what you like. DO NOT SHOOT ANY OF THE SMITH AND WESSON REVOLVER LIGHT/AIR WEIGHTS. i did the first time out and i almost didn't pick up another gun to try.

i didn't like the kahr when i shot it the spent cartridge hit me in the head and face.

Very well put. My friend decided he was going to get his now fiance a handgun. I suggested she may like a .38 j-frame smith. Without telling me, he took it upon himself (as a new shooter himself) to take her and rent some guns. She ended up shooting a Smith 638 Airweight. At 5' 100 lbs soaking wet holding an anvil, she nearly broke her hand and wanted nothing to do with shooting for some time thereafter. I yelled at him quite a bit. She ended with an HK P2000.

I have been shooting now for roughly 21 years and have taught countless people to shoot ranging from 7 year old cubscouts, to 80 year old grandmas. My experiences have lead me to the conclusion that no two people have the same tastes or shooting styles. This is why I am a firm believer in the try it before you buy it policy.

.22lr is a bit small for defense. Though some is better than none. It is inexpensive too.
.22 mag is the very minimum for defense.
25 auto is useless
380 acp is crazy expensive, and useless IMHO.
9mm or .38 are what I recommend for minimum defense.
.40 offers a very good ballistic performance, but as you stated can sting a bit too much for some.
.45acp is a big slow moving bullet which recoils more like a push than a pop. My ex loved my USP 45c because she felt the recoil was most controllable for her.

Point is, try it before you buy it.

chefdude
07-23-2009, 11:23 PM
a Sig Sauer P232 sl is a fine pistol very easy to handle. it is .380 acp which contrary to Dexters post is a very good round. I highly recommend one and if anyone tells you a .380 or .32 is not a good round let them know when you put 2 in the chest and 1 in the head it is very lethal.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q74/jonboyfsu420/p232.jpg

CSACANNONEER
07-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Please remember that the smaller and lighter the gun is, the more felt recoil it will have. Yea, caliber and load specs also come into play but, don't be fooled into thinking that a smaller gun will be easier to shoot. It's actually the opposite! You will experience more felt recoil and less accuracy (due to a shorter site radius) with a smaller gun. While I don't own a Sig and don't really like .380s, I have to go with chefdude's recommendation on the 232. They are not cheap but, they have just enough power to get the job done while not so much as to keep you from shooting it comfortably. The ones I've shot have been exceptionally accurate for their size and type of sites.

forgiven
07-24-2009, 2:49 AM
I like the Beretta Tomcat .32acp.

Shane916
07-24-2009, 10:05 AM
My husband and I are looking into buying me a gun that when i get a concealled weapons permit from our home state i can carry concealled but also be able to handel the kick back on it as well. He owns a Walther PPS .40 caliber pistol and the kick on it beats up my hands and is hard for me to handle. We are looking to get me a 22mag mini master revolver from North American Arms but i wanted to know the opinons the women on this site on what they sujest. Im 5' 2" 110 lbs and i have TINY hands. anyone have a sujestion for me. Oh and BTW any gun we get me will probably be bought out of state and brought back here to CA. I have a picture attached of the revolver we wanna get me.

Are you currently a CA resident?

deb7566
07-24-2009, 10:33 AM
I tried many guns: .38 and 357 revolvers, 22 automatic, glock 17 and 19.

The best gun by far and what I ended up buying for my first gun was a Beretta 92sf.

movie zombie
07-24-2009, 10:44 AM
more reading:

http://greent.com/40Page/general/defammo.htm

and poke around in this one, too:

http://www.internetarmory.com/handgun_defense.htm

mz

Ron-Solo
07-24-2009, 11:45 AM
A nice gun for concealed carry is the Ruger LCP. 6+1 capacity and there are some pretty good .380 ACP rounds out there now. Very popular with law enforcement as a back up & off duty carry gun.

Not yet on the Calif approved roster, but you mentioned buying in your home state, which I assume it isn't Cali

scr83jp
07-24-2009, 5:54 PM
Are you currently a CA resident?

A revolver (wheelgun) is easy to load,unload and shoot. A friend of mine bought his wife a 2 inch barreled 38 special revolver to shoot then I let her shoot my Rossi Mod 88 SS 2 inch 5 shot 38 special & she hit the target easily.Some of the top female shooters use 1911 Colt Gov't 45acp semiautos because their smaller hands fit the single stack grip & the blow back operation eases felt recoil.I've trained on wheelguns and semiautos each have their place.

TurboS600
07-24-2009, 6:02 PM
actually, my beretta .25 with the tip up barrel bites my hand worse than some of my higher calibre guns. its all in how the grip fits your hand. DO NOT GET A .25 as it is worthless for self-defense, a .22 is better. i really do like this pistol though!

hi, and welcome! seems of late there are more men participating in this forum than women but i'm hoping some others will come out of the closet to give you some advise.

i ended up with a smith and wesson model 60 .357 [also shoots .38] snubbie. then i got hooked.....and bought more revolvers including a .22. my last purchase was a colt mark iv series 80 officers' .45acp. the more i shoot the more recoil i can handle.

a gun you will practice with is better than a gun you won't shoot. more people are killed by a .22 than any other calibre. but maximize your effective power and get a .22 magnum. you can always get a higher calibre later.

do not discount getting a revolver and they are easier to clean from my experience.

make sure you can fully operate the gun yourself....some of us have problems with slides on pistols.

2nd the recommendation re cornered cat.

good luck!

mz

+1. Sage advice here. Rent some guns and see what fits your "TINY" hands. The .22 is pitiful for self defense and a lot of counties won't even approve anything smaller that a .32 or .38 for CCW. A .22 will just piss off a determined attacker. My dad has a Baretta Tomcat which is .32, it is a very small gun, very concealable, and if my mom can fire it, ANYONE can fire it. Bottom line is, make sure that you can use it for CCW and you are comfortable firing it at least 2-4 times a month.

3rd the recommendation re: cornered cat.

Good luck.

scr83jp
07-24-2009, 6:11 PM
My husband and I are looking into buying me a gun that when i get a concealled weapons permit from our home state i can carry concealled but also be able to handel the kick back on it as well. He owns a Walther PPS .40 caliber pistol and the kick on it beats up my hands and is hard for me to handle. We are looking to get me a 22mag mini master revolver from North American Arms but i wanted to know the opinons the women on this site on what they sujest. Im 5' 2" 110 lbs and i have TINY hands. anyone have a sujestion for me. Oh and BTW any gun we get me will probably be bought out of state and brought back here to CA. I have a picture attached of the revolver we wanna get me.Try out a 357 mag revolver you can shoot 38 special ammo in it.Don't get an american arms mini mini revolver.I have a S&W Mod 19 6" 357 mag .At one time I had a Ruger SS 4" Security Six 357 mag revolver that was great to carry and shoot but then I caught the trading bug and swapped it for another rifle.I also owned a Walther PP K s 380 which was easy to carry & shoot.

movie zombie
07-24-2009, 6:53 PM
yes, why limit yourself to one?! you have more than one purse, right?!

mz

Shane916
07-24-2009, 10:06 PM
A revolver (wheelgun) is easy to load,unload and shoot. A friend of mine bought his wife a 2 inch barreled 38 special revolver to shoot then I let her shoot my Rossi Mod 88 SS 2 inch 5 shot 38 special & she hit the target easily.Some of the top female shooters use 1911 Colt Gov't 45acp semiautos because their smaller hands fit the single stack grip & the blow back operation eases felt recoil.I've trained on wheelguns and semiautos each have their place.

I agree but why quote me on asking if they are a CA resident? :p

Bigballaizm
07-25-2009, 11:59 AM
I tried many guns: .38 and 357 revolvers, 22 automatic, glock 17 and 19.

The best gun by far and what I ended up buying for my first gun was a Beretta 92sf.

Excellent choice! My first gun also & my lady luvs it. Not to big, not too much recoil & ammo isnt too expensive!

Try out a 357 mag revolver you can shoot 38 special ammo in it.

Im my opinion this is also a great choice if you want to go revolver. 38 ammo doesn't kick too hard.

pax
07-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Since you are not limited to the guns on the CA DOJ approved pistol roster, check out http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

Hands-on testing and good instruction are your best bet!

Trapper
07-27-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm in SD and have a NAA mini, J frame S&W's, Colt D frame, and several 380's that you are welcome to try out. I've taken the NC CCW course and would be glad to meet at one of the local ranges.