PDA

View Full Version : What rail mount light?

Nuuze
07-23-2009, 1:52 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading up on rail mount lights. Several of my pistols (G17, G21 & G30) have rails so I have been considering a light/laser for HD purposes.

So far I been trying to narrow it down to the following.

-Streamlight tlr-1 (decent price, no laser)
-Streamlight tlr-2 (higher price, laser)
-Streamlight tlr-3 (lower price, no laser)
-Surefire x300 (higher price, no laser)
-Surefire x400 ($$$, laser)
-XTI Procyon?
-Anyone use the Viridian Green Laser?

A laser addition like the tlr-2 would be a plus.

What about the length of the light that sticks past the muzzle of the pistol? Does it matter if it sticks past or flush? Would muzzle flash eventually damage the light/laser while practicing?

Black Majik
07-23-2009, 1:58 PM
On a fullsize Glock, the light will always stick out past the muzzle. The good think is that the mounting portion wont, like the compact Glocks and USPc/P2000s do. THOSE are the minor annoyances I have with weaponlights mounted on compacts.

The competition Glocks, the G34 and G35 will be flush against the bezel of the weaponlight.

I'd probably vote for the TLR-2 for your needs. It's tough to beat Streamlight for their TLR series and it's significantly cheaper than the $urefire version.

RolinThundr
07-23-2009, 2:01 PM
I have a Streamlight TLR-2 and I like it. I would suggest spending the extra money for the light/laser combo. You may never need either, but why wish later you had both. I don't know if having the light sticking out past the muzzle would damage it.

Nuuze
07-23-2009, 2:46 PM
Thanks for the info!

The lowest I see it listed for is $225 at Botach Tatical & $230 at Optics Plus.

Does your tlr-2 mount firmly in place? Does it mark the pistol rail at all?

Cjones38
07-23-2009, 4:12 PM
What about the compact TLR 3 vs TLR 2? I personally haven't tested a 90 lumen light compared to 135, but if using as home protection in the house at midnight it would seem like both would produce adequate light to focus the barrel on the intruder threatening your life. Any thought on the light intensity?

windrunner50
07-23-2009, 5:45 PM
I like the Surefire X300, proven quality with a good beam pattern.;)

cineski
07-23-2009, 6:18 PM
The TLR-2 w/ C4 is awesome. I have one. Got it from Optics Planet which was a great experience. Botach has far too many horrible stories and reviews to order from them. I've called them a couple of times and have been hung up on several times, and when I did talk to a human it wasn't a good experience.

cal3gunner
07-23-2009, 6:50 PM
I have the Surefire X300 and really like it. I used in a night match with good results. The winner of the match was using an X400 with light and laser and had a clear advantage. I used the laser on one stage and it worked great but I'm not going to run out and buy one at that price for home defense.

As for other brands, what I noticed at the night match was that the surefires were really bright and worked, the other cheaper brands did have as good as beams or brightness when compared side by side with X300s and X400s.

Somthing great about the X300 is the way it mounts in seconds without tools and comes off just as fast. I've already used it a couple times when I wanted to go outside to see something but didn't want to take a pistol. Just grab the light and go. Its definately way brighter than all my Mag lights and much more convienent.

Shop around for X300s. I've seen them new for $175 and I paid $135 for mine and it only had been slightly used.

Sam
07-23-2009, 7:25 PM
The x300 is a high quality product.

Nuuze
07-23-2009, 9:50 PM
So far $190 is the lowest I see the x300 listed.

Looks like the x300 and x400 mounts are a little different. The x400 looks similar to the tlr2.

Kid Stanislaus
07-23-2009, 9:54 PM
I've got the TLR-2 bookmarked for my Wilson Combat CQB when I get the 460 Rowlan kit up and running.

cal3gunner
07-23-2009, 11:09 PM
So far $190 is the lowest I see the x300 listed.

Looks like the x300 and x400 mounts are a little different. The x400 looks similar to the tlr2.

Yes, the X400 mounts differently that way you can sight in the laser. If it just slid on an off like the X300, it wouldn't keep the same point of aim/point of impact.

Check other forums for good prices. I just found one that is SPF on AR15.com for $150 and I bought mine on GlockTalk

frankiejoe577
07-24-2009, 12:17 AM
I just bought a TLR-2 from a guy in San Jose for $215+ $20Tax he has a bunch left they are Brand new and he said he ships but I got mine in person. He has a whole case and I got the first one. I love it! btw he has TLR-1 also and he also has flash lights just ask him if you need something. The only reason im advertising is because it was a good deal.

Heres the email I got from him:

I offer FREE STD shipping for Law Enforcement in the Bay Area.

If you would like to order, let me know and I will email you a PayPal Invoice
or you may Pick Up your C4 LED TLR-2, in-person.

CUSTOMER PICK UP:
Safeway Shopping Center
3558 Berryessa Road
San Jose, CA 95132

TOTAL PRODUCT COST: $215.00
1x Newest Production Streamlight C4 LED TLR-2 - $215

TOTAL SHIPPING COST: $0.00
Insured STD Flat Rate Shipping: FREE (2-5 Business Days)
TOTAL CALIFORNIA SALES TAX: $20

TOTAL COST: $235.00
Total Product Cost: $215
Total Shipping : $0.00
Total Sales Tax $20

If you've more questions, please contact me.

Thank you.

Jerry
408-834-8427

I have a glock 19 and the only things I have noticed are the that light get a small coating of powder on the lens so you need to clean it off when you done but not much of an issue because it wipes off and you get burn marks on the top of the light but you can clean it off good enough with a wet rag.
It might just be the ammo I'm using but I have no problem at all with it.