PDA

View Full Version : Don't see many original 1911's, so here's mine.

locosway
07-23-2009, 8:59 AM
So, here's my stock GI M1911.

During WWII my Grandfather had his 1911 stolen from him by another Marine. His pay was docked something like $25 (from what he recalls). Well, eventually he found who took the 1911 and got it back (From what he says the other guy ended up being sorry). When he was eventually discharged after the Pacific theater came to an end he was allowed to keep his 1911 since he had paid for it.

It's nice having something that I know he carried and fired in combat on Okinawa. It's not only a piece of history, but also a piece of my Grandfather that I will be able to hand down to my Son(s) as a reminder that our freedom came at a price.

Note: The serial number shows it was manufactured in 1918.

http://i25.tinypic.com/2zr40m1.jpg
http://i27.tinypic.com/eb5ydx.jpg
http://i30.tinypic.com/2w3tcnm.jpg
http://i31.tinypic.com/6tmn80.jpg

Miltiades
07-23-2009, 9:04 AM
That .45 has been around the block a few times. I'd like to have seen everything it has seen.

tmuller
07-23-2009, 9:10 AM
Priceless....

shootin' nuke
07-23-2009, 9:17 AM
locosway,
That's a great piece of history you have. Since you know the backstory on the weapon, it may be a good idea to sit down and write out everthing about the pistol's past. For instance, the time period your grandfather served, where he served, his unit, ect. Also try to capture your grandfather's stories surrounding events, people he knew, ect. A close friend of mine did this with his grandfather and the stories surrounding a sword and rifle that he took as trophys. It really added to the good memories and gave him something very tangible to pass on to his kids.

locosway
07-23-2009, 9:19 AM
locosway,
That's a great piece of history you have. Since you know the backstory on the weapon, it may be a good idea to sit down and write out everthing about the pistol's past. For instance, the time period your grandfather served, where he served, his unit, ect. Also try to capture your grandfather's stories surrounding events, people he knew, ect. A close friend of mine did this with his grandfather and the stories surrounding a sword and rifle that he took as trophys. It really added to the good memories and gave him something very tangible to pass on to his kids.

That was already suggested to me, and I'm in the processes of doing just that. :)

shootin' nuke
07-23-2009, 9:24 AM
That was already suggested to me, and I'm in the processes of doing just that. :)

Cool, good deal man. Great to see you preserving some family history!

GP3
07-23-2009, 9:29 AM
That's pretty damn awesome, locosway. It's more than just a gun. Priceless as someone put.

Keep that thing in a safe spot!

trob
07-23-2009, 9:30 AM
beautiful piece you have there. I got my grandfathers 1911 with the same holster and green tarnish on it. He said he never even fired it and only carried it because he was an officer in the navy......not as cool of a story as yours has.

I asked him how he was able to keep it after korea (carried it in WWII also) and he shrugged his shoulders and said " well they never asked for it back " ....Lucky me

M1A Rifleman
07-23-2009, 9:32 AM
Great story.

My uncle inherited a Colt 1911A1, that was issued to his uncle during WWII. It came with the original holster, belt and several boxes of issue ammo. When he was given the pistol about 30 years ago now, I recall it was prestine, not a single wear mark, which I would expect since his uncle was a dentist in the Army. :p

What is amazing is the price that is being asked for these nowdays. $2,800 to $3,200 were the prices I noted last weeked. :mad:

wilson_wwsc
07-23-2009, 9:33 AM
I'd pay 25 bucks for a 1911 any day!
Hope it never leaves your family again.
Nice piece

M1A Rifleman
07-23-2009, 9:36 AM
I asked him how he was able to keep it after korea (carried it in WWII also) and he shrugged his shoulders and said " well they never asked for it back " ....Lucky me

Wow, my grandfather said he was issued an 03 that he never fired as a cook while stationed in Alaska. At the end of his tour he was warned of harsh treatment should he be caught attempting to hide any issue weapons in his duffle bag upon leave - so he was too afraid to bring back his rifle.

BlackDrop50
07-23-2009, 9:38 AM
so jealous......

it's beautiful. I love old 1911s

Big Jake
07-23-2009, 12:24 PM
What a great family heirloom! I also have similar family airloom but not a firearm. My great uncle (God rest his soul)! was a WW2 veteran and when he passed away my great aunt gave me his purple heart that he was awarded after his unit was almost decimated in the d-day landing.

My great uncle was army and his unit was the Big Red One that hit Utah beach on d-day! He was wounded by schrapnel and walked with a limp for his whole life!

I cherish the talks that we had about his experiences. That generation is appropriatly known as The Greatest Generation for a reason. They literally saved the world from tyrants like Hitler!

Firearms were a big part of that. We all owe are freedom to veterans of that generation!

den888
07-23-2009, 1:08 PM
Nice piece of American history !

aplinker
07-23-2009, 2:28 PM

I VERY much regret that neither my folks nor I got more of the history of my grandfather down on paper. You think you'll remember it all, but it just goes.

You're smart to get it down now. Your kids/grandkids will appreciate it.

Lancear15
07-23-2009, 2:57 PM
Awesome. Take good care of it and thanks for sharing.

Gator Monroe
07-23-2009, 3:08 PM
My USGI 1911A1 was a "Bring Back" also (Old Timers Truck gun for over 30 years before I got it )It's a Colt slide /Ithaca Frame circa 1945 . was told story by another old timer who had a friend at Dock in port of San Pedro who gave him 4 or 5 boxed 1911A1's off of pallets of new unissued USGI pistols slated for disposal in deep sea off coast later that afternoon SOME TIME after WW2 but prior to Korea.

AJAX22
07-23-2009, 3:11 PM
I have an original 1943 USGI colt 1911 that was a bring back. IIRC I paid something like 450-500 for it.

all original, nice brown patina....

locosway
07-23-2009, 3:31 PM
He still has his and his brother's (who's now passed) uniforms as well. His discharge papers, and some other odds and ends, one of which I believe is a medal but I'm not certain. Eventually I'll get all of that, and when I do I'm going to put it all into a glass case and hang it on the wall along with a plaque that outlines all of his information.

Oh, and he's still wearing his dog tag, every day it's there.

Kruzr
07-23-2009, 3:37 PM
Nice keeper. While the serial number shows it was a late 1918 gun by Colt, the RIA on the right side is an Arsenal rebuild mark. It was rebuilt by Rock Island Arsenal sometime before 1941.

Keep it as is, they are becoming more and more rare. If you can write down the history of where it was carried to keep with the gun, it will be even better.

ALCO HK
07-23-2009, 3:51 PM
Thats awesome man!

joea
07-23-2009, 7:20 PM
Wow! very nice. I would love to own an old 1911.

Mr. Beretta
07-23-2009, 7:47 PM
If only it could talk!

I bet it shoots just as well as when in was in your Grandpa's hand back in the day.

Don't ever part with it at any price!

Congrats!

locosway
07-23-2009, 7:50 PM
If only it could talk!

I bet it shoots just as well as when in was in your Grandpa's hand back in the day.

Don't ever part with it at any price!

Congrats!

The gun overall has a lot of wear. Parts inside are worn, the barrel is pretty smooth, and the front side is missing. The magazine spring is shot, and it causes a stove pipe on the 7th round every time.

Other than that, it does shoot well. I'd have no problem carrying it around for personal protection, although I'd use a new magazine.

CapnHawk
07-23-2009, 10:50 PM
An outstanding slabside Colt, Locosway. It's definitely a keeper to be handed down when the time comes. I have my Grandfather's 1911 from WWI, my Dad's 1911A1 from WWII and my 1911A1 from my 'Nam days. Mine happens to be a British Lend Lease model. All three can hold their own on the range.

Black Majik
07-23-2009, 10:53 PM
This rates right up there on one of my favorite threads on Calguns. Lots of cool history on that weapon.

Very priceless, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

fcr
07-23-2009, 11:03 PM
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc34/fcr_bucket/DSC_1291.jpg
This is my Fathers. No great story, Got it from NRA surplus for around $15.00 in 1962 . He gave me an M1 Carbine at that time for my 8th birthday. Paid $15.00 or $25.00 for it.

nemisis1400
07-23-2009, 11:20 PM
this really makes me wonder how much inflation over the years has gone. Anyone know what the average soldier made in a month back in ww2 compared to our troops now, to give an idea of how much those $25.00 guns cost?

steelrain82
07-24-2009, 1:26 AM
thats a nice 1911! my dad also has an original gi 1911 from ww2 all the parts match and he even has an original m1 with all matching parts. its so crazy how he got them. he was at a yard sale and the lady had all this ww2 equipment. she said her husband died and she needed the money so my dad bought some of it then she offered him the guns if he was interested. both in immaculate condition. imagine that at a yard sale!

Cato
07-24-2009, 1:38 AM
Curious thing is I carried those 1911s in the early 1990s for deck watches in the navy. I had no idea they could have been as old as WWI; back then I knew next to nothing about guns.

KrazyKevy
07-24-2009, 2:53 AM
Nice keeper. While the serial number shows it was a late 1918 gun by Colt, the RIA on the right side is an Arsenal rebuild mark. It was rebuilt by Rock Island Arsenal sometime before 1941.

Keep it as is, they are becoming more and more rare. If you can write down the history of where it was carried to keep with the gun, it will be even better.

Definitely keep it as is...and do NOT refinish it.
Just for the hell of it, I would also get the correct grade 1918 parts to go along with it...not to install but just to have. :)

DougJ
07-24-2009, 5:26 AM
My dad is a WWII vet but didn't bring anything like that back.

Amazing piece of American history from a patriot from the Greatest Generation.

Preserve that beauty just like it is and pass that down to the next generation.

Mac Attack
07-24-2009, 5:49 AM
Great story behind your 1911. I inherited a Colt 1911 made in 1918 from my father. It originally belonged to an uncle of his who served in the Philippine Scouts and worked along side the American's during in WWII. This uncle actually was part of the Bataan Death March and escaped, was caught and tortured and then escaped again. He joined other Filipino's and American's in the battle against the Japanese in the PI. Unfortunately, there is no written history on the gun, just verbal history passed on from one generation to another.

Anyways, here is a picture of my 1911. Sorry for the poor lighting but this is the only one I can find.
removed images because I was over the limit.

locosway
07-24-2009, 6:02 AM
Curious thing is I carried those 1911s in the early 1990s for deck watches in the navy. I had no idea they could have been as old as WWI; back then I knew next to nothing about guns.

Or older...

GM4spd
07-24-2009, 6:09 AM
Insurance policy written in 1918! (US Property is on the other side). Pete

http://www.fototime.com/DBFE9FC741BD727/standard.jpg

Greg-Dawg
07-24-2009, 7:05 AM
http://i30.tinypic.com/2w3tcnm.jpg

It looks borderline rust, could it have been prevented?

forgiven
07-24-2009, 7:35 AM
Congrats guys on your 1911's. What a wonderful part of history to own.

trinydex
07-24-2009, 7:39 AM
do you actually store it in holster? doesn't that make it prone to rust?

alpalwal
07-24-2009, 8:13 AM
wow, for a second I thought this was in the F/S section and I was about to be very upset.

Awesome 1911 and story

jazman
07-24-2009, 8:14 AM
I am not much of a 1911 fan frankly, but I really like yours. Great looking gun with a great history, with great plans of yours to hand it down along with the back story.

locosway
07-24-2009, 8:47 AM
There is a little rust on the gun, always has been. I plan on cleaning up the rust without taking off any more of the finish and then probably sealing it in a bag after oiling it until I can get it framed properly.

Also I don't store it in the holster, it was just for the pictures. Although my Grandfather had stored it in the holster for many years as it was his night-stand piece before it became mine.

trob
07-24-2009, 1:43 PM
Wow, my grandfather said he was issued an 03 that he never fired as a cook while stationed in Alaska. At the end of his tour he was warned of harsh treatment should he be caught attempting to hide any issue weapons in his duffle bag upon leave - so he was too afraid to bring back his rifle.

Like i said, I think he was a pretty high ranking officer so i dont think anyone even thought to include him with the regulars when it came to getting weapons back.

emilio
07-24-2009, 2:37 PM
amazing, thanks for sharing!

yes, definitely don't store it in the holster. getting the rust off shouldn't involve anything more than a good 2-3 day soak with some Kroil or CLP and rubbing with some thick rags. then degrease and find a storage protectant like Boeshield T-9 or Break-Free Collector. (i haven't tested any extensively, but the T-9 seems to keep my blued Carbine mags rust-free.)

again, thanks for sharing!
- emilio

Khram
07-24-2009, 2:42 PM
Neat, we don't see 1911 (non a1's) everyday. $25 in 1945 was like $250 now, still a bargain! My dad has a 1911 circa 1919 commercial Colt he bought in 2001 for $200. Seller was a Filipino whos great uncle brought over here somehow I belive back from Philipines.

He didn't want it around his kids, well at least it found a good home. Gun was reblued and does not have correct magazine or grips but still a nice gun. I replaced barrel due to corrosive ammo having tore up the originals bore pretty bad.

KrazyKevy
07-24-2009, 3:17 PM
There is a little rust on the gun, always has been. I plan on cleaning up the rust without taking off any more of the finish and then probably sealing it in a bag after oiling it until I can get it framed properly.

Also I don't store it in the holster, it was just for the pictures. Although my Grandfather had stored it in the holster for many years as it was his night-stand piece before it became mine.

Take great care in removing that rust. It is extremely easy taking off that nice patina. Patina is usually the dark brown stain like coat that can easily be mistaken for rust. Patina ads value to historic and antique artifacts...and IMO adds a whole lot of character. Cleaning it up will degrade the value and take away some of that character and history...old guns are supposed to look old, not clean and polished. You may probably know all this already... but just stating this so other dont destroy their nice old firearm. :)