PDA

View Full Version : Microstamping

loather
07-23-2009, 9:31 AM
So, is it really true that come 01 January, all new rostered handguns need to be compliant with the microstamping law? (I understand that existing handguns are grandfathered in).

If so, this is a gross invasion of privacy, at the very least, and does nothing to actually improve the "safety" of the weapon as pursuant to the law's purported intent.

Furthermore, are manufacturers really going to build CA-approved models with this microstamping nonsense built-in? If not, the roster will slowly dwindle away to nothing. Although, somehow I think this was the intent of that legislation anyways.

The level of legislative stupidity in this state is simply staggering. Please tell me this was somehow overturned or invalidated ...

NorCal MedTac
07-23-2009, 9:40 AM
Try a search

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=185212&highlight=microstamping

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/The_Safe_Handgun_List

FastFinger
07-23-2009, 9:45 AM
The level of legislative stupidity in this state is simply staggering. Please tell me this was somehow overturned or invalidated ...

Sadly the legislators have lots of help from the sheeple electorate. After all someone had to vote those otherwise unemployable toads into office.

Probably the same folks who recently voted to build a train from Los Angeles to San Francisco at a cost of $40 BBBBBillion.

Now I can go to Sidestep and buy a rt ticket for tomorrow lax - sfo for $129. Or I can book a similar trip on Amtrack and pay $118.

Even if the travel times were close (and they never will be regardless of how fast the train will be) in what world does it make sense to pay $40 Billion to have a service that is only $10 cheaper, but that's not even including the tax payer subsidies which are probably another $200 per passenger?

Yes - the fools in Sacto are running the state into the ground, but they have a lot of co-conspirators.

oldironpants
07-23-2009, 10:00 AM
It's "inactive," but that don't mean it's dead. This is an absurd bill that is just to encumber the firearms manufacturers with useless rules.

CURRENT BILL STATUS

MEASURE : A.B. No. 352
AUTHOR(S) : Koretz (Coauthors: Klehs, Pavley, Ridley-Thomas, and
Yee) (Coauthor: Senator Scott).
TOPIC : Firearms: microstamping.
HOUSE LOCATION : ASM
+LAST AMENDED DATE : 06/19/2006

TYPE OF BILL :
Inactive
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
State-Mandated Local Program
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 11/30/2006
LAST HIST. ACTION : Died in Conference.
FILE : ASM RECONSIDERATION
FILE DATE : 08/31/2006
ITEM : 68

TITLE : An act to amend Sections 12126 and 12130 of the Penal
Code, relating to firearms.

loather
07-23-2009, 10:05 AM
OK, got what I needed to know. Because of patent encumberance (hey, patent law as it stands *is* good for something!) the law cannot go into effect next year. That's at least somewhat comforting.

As for the sheeple electorate ... preaching to the choir.

Although I thought a straight-through train to SFO would be a good idea, I simply couldn't vote on it knowing what it would cost the taxpayers (read: me).

California needs to get out of this mentality that passing a bond measure makes the money come out of thin air. Bonds still have to be paid back somehow, and, well, the only income for the state government is through taxes or fees. If we can't or don't want to raise taxes, *maybe* this program shouldn't be funded!

Anyhow, I digress. Thanks for those who responded.

MrClamperSir
07-23-2009, 10:05 AM
This bill as total BS. I hope it stays dead!

CSDGuy
07-23-2009, 10:13 AM
It's inactive because the underlying technology has patent encumbrances that must be released entirely before the law can become active. If the patent holders never release the patent on their own... It still will be several YEARS before the law becomes active. If the "Not Unsafe" roster goes bye-bye, this law becomes moot.

M1A Rifleman
07-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Good to know. An RO at the Livermore Range also mentioned last weekend that micro-stamping law goes into effect next year along with several other laws I did not recall - such as a new mag disconnect, and some type of new more obvious loaded chamber indicator.

motorhead
07-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Sadly the legislators have lots of help from the sheeple electorate. After all someone had to vote those otherwise unemployable toads into office.

Probably the same folks who recently voted to build a train from Los Angeles to San Francisco at a cost of $40 BBBBBillion.

Now I can go to Sidestep and buy a rt ticket for tomorrow lax - sfo for $129. Or I can book a similar trip on Amtrack and pay $118.

Even if the travel times were close (and they never will be regardless of how fast the train will be) in what world does it make sense to pay $40 Billion to have a service that is only $10 cheaper, but that's not even including the tax payer subsidies which are probably another $200 per passenger?

Yes - the fools in Sacto are running the state into the ground, but they have a lot of co-conspirators.
but now the tax and spend democrats can show their ecotard constituents how green we are. doesn't matter that half the time existing rail service becomes bus service due to track closures. look at the san diego trolley. biggest waste of money in history. it causes more traffic congestion than it could ever hope to clear and serves a whopping 2% of the population. we need a season on greenies. their population has exceeded their habitat and they're pressuring other species. maybe we could thin them or relocate some to az or nv.

motorhead
07-23-2009, 12:40 PM
microstamping will never happen. the slugs who developed this will never give their tech to their competitors to allow our politburo to enforce the law. even if it passes, immediate injunction.

The Wingnut
07-23-2009, 12:42 PM
I wouldn't wish that on our neighboring states. Treat them like any other species that has overpopulated and unbalanced its ecosystem.:43:

mtptwo
07-23-2009, 12:49 PM
TYPE OF BILL :
Inactive
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
State-Mandated Local Program
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

What the hey? You can have inactive laws? How can a law be inactive other than willful disregard to enforce?

MrClamperSir
07-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Good to know. An RO at the Livermore Range also mentioned last weekend that micro-stamping law goes into effect next year along with several other laws I did not recall - such as a new mag disconnect, and some type of new more obvious loaded chamber indicator.

Was it the guy that whistles when he talks? If so, he was telling me you can't drive around with an unlocked rifle in the cab your truck. He then added no ammo in the cab with matching firearms, no matter how it is stored.

Librarian
07-23-2009, 12:57 PM
It's "inactive," but that don't mean it's dead. This is an absurd bill that is just to encumber the firearms manufacturers with useless rules.

CURRENT BILL STATUS

MEASURE : A.B. No. 352
AUTHOR(S) : Koretz (Coauthors: Klehs, Pavley, Ridley-Thomas, and
Yee) (Coauthor: Senator Scott).
TOPIC : Firearms: microstamping.
HOUSE LOCATION : ASM
+LAST AMENDED DATE : 06/19/2006

Wrong bill.

The Microstamping that passed was AB1471 (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/asm/ab_1451-1500/ab_1471_bill_20071013_chaptered.html) in 2007.

As others have noted, the encumbrance language is key.

Librarian
07-23-2009, 1:00 PM

No such new laws going into effect. All the mag disconnect and LCI was in SB 489 (http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/03-04/bill/sen/sb_0451-0500/sb_489_bill_20030924_chaptered.html); nothing else has happened with the Roster since 2007.

See the Calguns Foundation Wiki page at http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/The_Safe_Handgun_List

motorhead
07-23-2009, 3:08 PM
I wouldn't wish that on our neighboring states. Treat them like any other species that has overpopulated and unbalanced its ecosystem.:43:
yes, ca style. rather than opening a proper season we'll just poison off a few.:43: