PDA

View Full Version : SAFE OC Endorses Bill Hunt for Sheriff of Orange County

OrangeCountyCCW
07-23-2009, 8:36 AM
BREAKING NEWS:

The SAFE OC Political Action Committee's event, "Come Meet YOUR NRA," held last evening at On Target Range in Laguna Niguel, was a resounding success. Over thirty-five CCW supporters attended, and Ed Worley (NRA Institute for Legislative Action) and Paul Payne (Assistant to Wayne LaPierre) graciously flew down from Sacramento for the event. Those who attended received critical information about Hutchens' assault on law-abiding citizens, learned about the NRA's efforts in California, and enjoyed a "fun shoot" supervised by instructor TJ Johnston. The event raised a substantial amount of money that will be used to defeat Hutchens.

A special and unexpected guest was former Sheriff's Lieutenant and Chief of Police of San Clemente, Bill Hunt. Lt. Hunt announced his candidacy for Sheriff of Orange County, and shared his views on CCW with the group. After the event, SAFE OC met with Hunt and confirmed that if elected, he will issue to any person who meets the age and residency requirements, is not in a prohibited category, and undergoes the required training, with "personal safety" alone as sufficient "good cause." Hunt has released the following written statement on CCW:

"I will issue concealed weapons permits (CCW) to any applicant who is a law abiding resident of the county, meets state mandated requirements and is not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. There have been less than 1200 issued CCWs in a county of 3 million. The majority have been given to reserve police officers, judges, prosecutors and to reward political supporters. I will depoliticize the process and establish an annual audit to review each application to ensure the process is unbiased, non-political and equitable."

On this basis, the board of SAFE OC UNANIMOUSLY voted to endorse Bill Hunt's candidacy for Sheriff of Orange County and to make the maximum contribution to his campaign.

Hunt informed us that his website, www.billhuntforsheriff.com, is being completely revamped and will be back up in a week.

SAFE OC calls upon all supporters of CCW in Orange County to rally behind Hunt, attend his event in Huntington Beach on August 1 (flyer attached) and do their utmost to support Hutchens' defeat. Please visit www.safeoc.org and make the greatest contribution you are able. Thank you.

glbtrottr
07-23-2009, 8:45 AM
Hey lads - you may tell the good Sheriff that he needs to update his website or change his domain...kind of funky to put a website address listed on a flyer only to find out it doesn't work due to "bandwidth exceeded"....which would make the casual observer appear as though if he doesn't have his shtuff together....remember McCain and his online foibles?

1BigPea
07-23-2009, 8:47 AM
Hey lads - you may tell the good Sheriff that he needs to update his website or change his domain...kind of funky to put a website address listed on a flyer only to find out it doesn't work due to "bandwidth exceeded"....which would make the casual observer appear as though if he doesn't have his shtuff together....remember McCain and his online foibles?

Says right above in the post...

Hunt informed us that his website, www.billhuntforsheriff.com, is being completely revamped and will be back up in a week.

This is good news!

PatriotnMore
07-23-2009, 8:49 AM
When I try and access the page, I get a band width exceeded message.

In addition, would you please take a moment and explain mr Hunt's CCW views and policies he would advocate?

bulgron
07-23-2009, 8:53 AM
Even though I live far away from OC, I might have to contribute a few bucks to Hunt's campaign. The more urban counties that are issuing in California, the harder it's going to be for Sheriff's like Laurie Smith to argue that "it can't work here."

Any news on their chances of getting a good Sheriff in San Diego county?

jphaxx
07-23-2009, 9:35 AM
I don't know too much about Bill Hunt. What I do know is that if Sheriff Richard Mack endorses him, I'm all for it. Richard Mack has a history of educating Sheriffs that they are the protectors of the public and is very pro-freedom.

CWM4A1
07-23-2009, 10:10 AM
I check with Hunt specifically about the website last night, tell him that:

1. Website is down, not good if you have a fund raiser event on 8/1.
2. A PDF file should not be 12MB in size.

He told me that the website is under work and will reflect the fact that he will be running for OC Sheriff in 2010. The old website was for 06 election. The new website should be up in about a week according to him.

From our discussion with Hunt, he said his policy toward CCW has not being changed since 2006 election. I will just copy/paste here again:

"I will issue concealed weapons permits (CCW) to any applicant who is a law abiding resident of the county, meets state mandated requirements and is not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. There have been less than 1200 issued CCW’s in a county of 3 million. The majority have been given to reserve police officers, judges, prosecutors and to reward political supporters. I will depoliticize the process and establish an annual audit to review each application to ensure the process is unbiased, non-political and equitable."

Some of the guys have CCW yanked by Appointed Sheriff Hutchens, some of us have restriction added to our CCW. We reflect these situation to Lt. Hunt. He said, and I quote: "I thought it's Sheriff's job to protect people's right and freedom, not restrict them". I am part of SAFE OC, and my goal is to elect next OC Sheriff that does not favor any political group toward CCW process, has a good plan to get OCSD back on track, and most importantly, have a good CCW policy that ensure average Joe got a good chance to apply and receive CCW. I see these from Hunt, I did vote for him back in 06, will gladly vote for him again come 2010.

PatriotnMore
07-23-2009, 10:15 AM
That's good to hear. I do not know Mr. Hunt, and I only ask this because we have had many wolves in sheep's clothing but, in your opinion, we can count on him to follow through with what he says, without playing the, what I meant was game?

I check with Hunt specifically about the website last night, tell him that:

1. Website is down, not good if you have a fund raiser event on 8/1.
2. A PDF file should not be 12MB in size.

He told me that the website is under work and will reflect the fact that he will be running for OC Sheriff in 2010. The old website was for 06 election. The new website should be up in about a week according to him.

From our discussion with Hunt, he said his policy toward CCW has not being changed since 2006 election. I will just copy/paste here again:

"I will issue concealed weapons permits (CCW) to any applicant who is a law abiding resident of the county, meets state mandated requirements and is not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. There have been less than 1200 issued CCWs in a county of 3 million. The majority have been given to reserve police officers, judges, prosecutors and to reward political supporters. I will depoliticize the process and establish an annual audit to review each application to ensure the process is unbiased, non-political and equitable."

Some of the guys have CCW yanked by Appointed Sheriff Hutchens, some of us have restriction added to our CCW. We reflect these situation to Lt. Hunt. He said, and I quote: "I thought it's Sheriff's job to protect people's right and freedom, not restrict them". I am part of SAFE OC, and my goal is to elect next OC Sheriff that does not favor any political group toward CCW process, has a good plan to get OCSD back on track, and most importantly, have a good CCW policy that ensure average Joe got a good chance to apply and receive CCW. I see these from Hunt, I did vote for him back in 06, will gladly vote for him again come 2010.

locosway
07-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Do we get to vote for the Sheriff? If so, when does it happen and where?

7x57
07-23-2009, 10:52 AM
That's good to hear. I do not know Mr. Hunt, and I only ask this because we have had many wolves in sheep's clothing but, in your opinion, we can count on him to follow through with what he says, without playing the, what I meant was game?

I was at the event last night. I didn't talk much with Mr. Hunt, for a few reasons (riding herd on a baby and a hyperactive four-year-old so the wife could shoot on the range :-) and because he was usually speaking with people who actually live in OC and could vote for him, so my opinion isn't worth much. I can't do much while I have the kids, and letting her shoot was sort of a priority for me. That said, he generally has the air of a straight-shooter who doesn't play games.

Less directly, I do know TJ Johnston enough to trust his judgment, and he's one of the SafeOC guys. In any case, he's making himself potentially vulnerable by courting gun-rights support. Someone who wants votes but doesn't mean what he says would probably decide OathKeepers is too much political baggage to display at the top of campaign material. Similarly, if he planned to run away from the issue later, I doubt he'd want to be at events with NRA people like Paul Payne and Ed Worley either--he must know that Hutchens can use that to run against the NRA especially since he either announced his candidacy at that event or nearly so. And his written statement about CCW is quite unambiguous and she can try to paint him as an extremist with that as well.

Hunt must have plenty of track record, and I welcome any information on what he's actually done w.r.t. gun issues in the past, but I think it's a reasonable presumption at this point that he'll do what he says and deserves support from us. What more do you think he could do at this point in his campaign to state his position? Not much, I think.

As for the website issues, I think people are taking it the wrong way. It seems clear he's barely announced his campaign and hasn't yet got his website converted from 2006--you're getting advance word!

7x57

SteveH
07-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Yes!!!

Bill Hunt would make a great Sheriff!

M. D. Van Norman
07-23-2009, 11:00 AM

Yes, we usually elect the sheriff. The next election will be in 2010.

Please register to vote (http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/elections_vr.htm).

PatriotnMore
07-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Sounds good, thank you for the opinion.

I was at the event last night. I didn't talk much with Mr. Hunt, for a few reasons (riding herd on a baby and a hyperactive four-year-old so the wife could shoot on the range :-) and because he was usually speaking with people who actually live in OC and could vote for him, so my opinion isn't worth much. I can't do much while I have the kids, and letting her shoot was sort of a priority for me. That said, he generally has the air of a straight-shooter who doesn't play games.

Less directly, I do know TJ Johnston enough to trust his judgment, and he's one of the SafeOC guys. In any case, he's making himself potentially vulnerable by courting gun-rights support. Someone who wants votes but doesn't mean what he says would probably decide OathKeepers is too much political baggage to display at the top of campaign material. Similarly, if he planned to run away from the issue later, I doubt he'd want to be at events with NRA people like Paul Payne and Ed Worley either--he must know that Hutchens can use that to run against the NRA especially since he either announced his candidacy at that event or nearly so. And his written statement about CCW is quite unambiguous and she can try to paint him as an extremist with that as well.

Hunt must have plenty of track record, and I welcome any information on what he's actually done w.r.t. gun issues in the past, but I think it's a reasonable presumption at this point that he'll do what he says and deserves support from us. What more do you think he could do at this point in his campaign to state his position? Not much, I think.

As for the website issues, I think people are taking it the wrong way. It seems clear he's barely announced his campaign and hasn't yet got his website converted from 2006--you're getting advance word!

7x57

CWM4A1
07-23-2009, 11:03 AM

Yes, we do get to vote for our next Sheriff, and the election will be in June 2010. It's one year away but we have to start campaign early, make our voice heard and start to convince people as Hutchens is already doing that. One of the issue is most of North OC cities have their own police department (Fullerton, Anaheim, Santa Ana, Brea just to name a few) and north county resident may not care as much as south county since their city is not being patrol by OCSD. We need to convince people to elect a good candidate into office who will also be good for average citizen, not people with political connections.

PatriotnMore
07-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Yes, we do get to vote for our next Sheriff, and the election will be in June 2010. It's one year away but we have to start campaign early, make our voice heard and start to convince people as Hutchens is already doing that. One of the issue is most of North OC cities have their own police department (Fullerton, Anaheim, Santa Ana, Brea just to name a few) and north county resident may not care as much as south county since their city is not being patrol by OCSD. We need to convince people to elect a good candidate into office who will also be good for average citizen, not people with political connections.

Is there any effort to make bumper stickers, signage to post on your yard, volunteer work schedule of events, ect? If so, where do we get the info?

OrangeCountyCCW
07-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Yes, the way to ensure that you are informed about such things as volunteering needs, yard signs, bumper stickers, etc. is to register for the Hunt Campaign's mailing list when the website is live, and to register for SAFE OC's mailing list. Since SAFE OC is an unconnected PAC and is not under the control of any candidate, we may be having different events, mailings, publications, signs, precinct walks, etc. than the Hunt Campaign.

CWM4A1
07-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Is there any effort to make bumper stickers, signage to post on your yard, volunteer work schedule of events, ect? If so, where do we get the info?

Since we just announce our Endorsement, All these will be in the work. Lt Hunt does have a fund raising event next Saturday, August 1st. I won't be able to attend but I will contribute. Please feel free to join SAFE OC's mail list per below link, we will sent out e-mail for our future events.

Hunt's August 1st fund raiser event information can be found below:
http://www.allsafedefense.com/images/MackHuntFlyer8-1-09sm.pdf

SAFE OC mailing list:
http://www.safeoc.org/?page_id=23

PatriotnMore
07-23-2009, 11:17 AM
^ Done.

locosway
07-23-2009, 11:23 AM
There still places in north oc with sd coverage, even anaheim uses the sd for its unincorporated area. This is the one time I would put a bumper sticker on my truck... :)

nicki
07-23-2009, 12:24 PM
I am glad that there is a pro CCW sheriff running, that being said, the election is going to be more than just CCW.

Granted the current sheriff is a disaster, but Bill Hunt needs to be more than just the CCW sheriff candidate.

I don't know Bill Hunt, but based on his CCW stances I would vote for him regardless of anything else. That is me, but that is not most voters.

We need a sheriff who is good on more than just guns, otherwise he won't be elected.

I would ask that people on this board who live in Orange county and while we are at it, San Diego too, make posts and educate us in the rest of the state as to what the local issues are that directly and indirectly will effect those sheriffs races.

Between the "Sykes case" and the Orange and San Diego county sheriff races, we will get shall issue in this state.

If Bill Hunt is not familar with the Sykes case, someone needs to educate him because the issues will be more than just gun rights.
Orange county right now could be dragged into expensive civil litigation since you already have a huge base of people with standing to sue.

The potential payout of taxpayer money could be used against Sheriff Hutchens in many ways.

Taking out a sitting sheriff, (even a appointed one) would send a clear message all across the state.

Nicki

Draankol
07-23-2009, 12:47 PM
I am up for volunteering to get him elected. I registered at SAFEOC and I'll do my bit.

PatriotnMore
07-23-2009, 1:13 PM
Nikki, I agree with what you are saying, and I don't think any of us expect any less from a Sheriff candidate than others would want or vote for.

However, all things being equal, the issue of CCW, especially among those who want to exercise our 2A rights, is a huge sticking issue.

In addition, I don't think his "pro CCW" stance is going to be the banner under which the fight is waged.

I do feel that the, who endorses whom, is what many voters look at when they cast their vote. Unfortunately, it appears many of the LE top cops, civic leaders and LE professional organizations like to play spoiler for pro CCW candidates, and throw their votes in favor of more restrictive CCW candidates.

How do we overcome this hurdle for a candidate?

I am glad that there is a pro CCW sheriff running, that being said, the election is going to be more than just CCW.

Granted the current sheriff is a disaster, but Bill Hunt needs to be more than just the CCW sheriff candidate.

I don't know Bill Hunt, but based on his CCW stances I would vote for him regardless of anything else. That is me, but that is not most voters.

We need a sheriff who is good on more than just guns, otherwise he won't be elected.

I would ask that people on this board who live in Orange county and while we are at it, San Diego too, make posts and educate us in the rest of the state as to what the local issues are that directly and indirectly will effect those sheriffs races.

Between the "Sykes case" and the Orange and San Diego county sheriff races, we will get shall issue in this state.

If Bill Hunt is not familar with the Sykes case, someone needs to educate him because the issues will be more than just gun rights.
Orange county right now could be dragged into expensive civil litigation since you already have a huge base of people with standing to sue.

The potential payout of taxpayer money could be used against Sheriff Hutchens in many ways.

Taking out a sitting sheriff, (even a appointed one) would send a clear message all across the state.

Nicki

bwiese
07-23-2009, 3:11 PM
Nikki, I agree with what you are saying, and I don't think any of us expect any less from a Sheriff candidate than others would want or vote for.

However, all things being equal, the issue of CCW, especially among those who want to exercise our 2A rights, is a huge sticking issue.

Yes agreed, but let's not "help him to harm him" by overemphasizing it. PR can backfire.

But OC is also fair ground for not having to hide pro-CCW feelings either.

In addition, I don't think his "pro CCW" stance is going to be the banner under which the fight is waged.

Fair deal.

Honestly, Hutchens' use of her OSCO Der Sturmhutchentroopers to monitor political meetings & political speech reflects a management failure and a larger more-disagreeable-to-many violation of rights and political sensibilities - wholly aside from/on top of the hassling of those with green buttons.

That's something that can be built upon - if there's this skeleton in her and her senior admins' closets, there has to be more.

nicki
07-23-2009, 3:33 PM
When it comes to local police agencies, people are going to look at many things and many of them will be minor.

The big issues will be public safety for most.

Others will be concerned with how police officers operate, how they treat the public will be a big issue.

Bill Hunt should be tough on crime, but he also needs to have the public perception that he will be fair and will expect his officers to do the same.

Corruption will be an issue. Since CCW was allegedly tied to corruption, he should run that he is going to eliminate the ability to even be corrupt by fixing issuance problems that are prone to abuse.

Bill Hunt also needs to come up with innovative ideas and that is something we can help him with.

If a strong campaign is run where Bill Hunt is on offense and the current sheriff is on defense, he will win.

Nicki

locosway
07-23-2009, 4:42 PM
I would volunteer my time as well to help the campaign.