PDA

View Full Version : transfer/purchase question

Boondocksaint
07-01-2005, 6:23 PM
Hello all. I'm buying a gun from another member in my area. Would it be possible to meet at a designated dealer and do the transfer there, and not have to use two separate dealers?

I know there's a 10 day wait, but could the dealer hold the gun for the ten days once the seller has the money?

xsquid
07-01-2005, 8:33 PM
You don't need the services of 2 FFLs. You do the transfer at the chosen FFLs location. Buyer hands the seller the funds, buyer fills out the 4473, FFL will need Seller/Buyers info for the DROS on a PPT. Seller walks away with the money - the buyer waits the mandatory 10 wait and picks up his new gun from the FFL - that's of course no hiccups on the background check.

Boondocksaint
07-01-2005, 9:13 PM
Thanks a lot. I know a few shops around town here. Just gotta set one up.

Thanks again for the help

esskay
07-02-2005, 9:25 AM
Yes, you both need to be there at the shop at the same time. For a handgun transfer, you also need the following:
- Handgun Safety certificate
- Proof of residency (e.g. utility bill)
- Your driver's license should preferably show your correct address; if it doesn't you should have one of those official change of address cards from the DMV (this is not necessarily an official requirement of the DOJ depending on the situation, but a number of FFLs like Turner's want to cover their *** so they require it).
- Gun lock purchased in the last 30 days, or sign an affidavit stating you own a CA-DOJ approved gun safe or lock box. (this is required whether handgun or long gun)

Don't forget you can only buy 1 handgun every 30 days directly from an FFL (or through an FFL via mail), but you can buy as many as you want via PPT (they don't count against the 1 per 30 days). No restriction like this on long guns.

Hope I didn't forget anything important.