PDA

View Full Version : S&W Model 10 Can I use +P

VegasND
07-22-2009, 7:11 PM
Today I picked up this Model 10-5, serial # D8376XX.
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss179/rtnpchpic/CIMG0107.jpg
In the past I have been told that any Model 10 with a model number stamped on the frame is okay with +P. Someone today told me that Smith says to only use +P in Model 10s made after 1977. I don't know when this one was made; does anybody here know enough about S&W revolvers to help me with this?

coop44
07-22-2009, 7:28 PM
good old gun, pinned barrel, nice. I have always liked the model 10's. Don't hesitate using +P loads occasionally. But why would you? There are plenty of defensive loads that aren't +P. All you are doing is making more noise and burning a lot of powder outside the barrel. Being hit with a big ol' slow moving lead bullet ain't no picnic. The 38 still has enough energy to do the job it was designed for, contrary to what a lot of folks will say. "practice with what you carry" is a good rule.

VegasND
07-22-2009, 7:48 PM
good old gun, pinned barrel, nice. I have always liked the model 10's. Don't hesitate using +P loads occasionally. But why would you? There are plenty of defensive loads that aren't +P. All you are doing is making more noise and burning a lot of powder outside the barrel. Being hit with a big ol' slow moving lead bullet ain't no picnic. The 38 still has enough energy to do the job it was designed for, contrary to what a lot of folks will say. "practice with what you carry" is a good rule.
I picked this up fairly inexpensively just to have it, I'll not be carrying it. I'll just take it out and shoot it from time to time. Ammo is currently hard to find and I have a supply of +P. A web search turned up conflicting opinions so I thought maybe somebody here could steer me to some better information.

Khram
07-24-2009, 2:48 PM
Yes, an mod 10-5 can stand a moderate amount of +p ammunition. I'd keep +P+_ out of it though.

Jonathan Doe
07-24-2009, 3:42 PM
I have used Winchester +P+ 110 grain loads in my model 15, which is the same frame as model 10.

scr83jp
07-24-2009, 3:57 PM
If you reload 38spec you won't need +p ammo you can get good performance with standard loads.I load for my S&W Mod 19 357 mag using mainly 38 spec ammo with 148gr hbwc or bbwc.I only use factory ammo when I carry it for protection.

JBird33
07-24-2009, 4:33 PM
I have one and I don't.

leitung
07-24-2009, 6:33 PM
Thats a beautiful smith you got there.. I would personally go with a non +p load, but thats a personal opinion. I am pretty sure it could handle it.

1JimMarch
07-24-2009, 8:13 PM
It can take modest amounts of +P. The +P that will be mildest on the gun will be the plain lead hollowpoints, 158gr by either Winchester or Remington. Ballistics are almost identical, the Remmie lead is a tad softer. Both should expand just fine out of that barrel length, slight preference for the Remmie. The Winchester variant should be avoided in snubs.

For standard pressure options, see my post here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=205820&page=2

There are very few worthwhile 38Spl standard pressure expanding loads. I listed all the ones I would trust my butt to there.

VegasND
07-25-2009, 7:34 AM
Thanks for the replies.

If pretty much everyone recommends only an occasional +P, I guess I'll stick to standard loads. I traded for 2-100 round boxes of the Winchester white box 130 grain target and range ammo, so I'll shoot that for now.

Was this revolver sighted in for the old 158 grain load? If so, maybe that's what I should look for.

1JimMarch
07-25-2009, 8:06 AM
>>Was this revolver sighted in for the old 158 grain load? If so, maybe that's what I should look for.<<

Probably. The 158gr +P lead hollowpoints from Winchester and esp. Remmie work well. Buffbore's standard pressure 158 will work about as well as those while being milder on the gun (less peak energy but a longer power pulse to drive the bullet just as fast), while their +P variant is hands-down THE most potent 38Spl defense ammo available. It will beat most 9mm defensive loads and send them running home to mama, esp. from that barrel length...you'll top 400ft/lbs energy.