I guess now I'll see what all the hoopla is about. :cool:
http://colt45.ws/misc/usp6.jpg

galabomber
07-22-2009, 5:20 PM
Nice catch. The HK is "...the one I shouldn't have sold."

Man. I want a HK :(

SCMA-1
07-22-2009, 5:38 PM
man.......I shot the USP's in different cals and sizes, shot the Expert.....shot them side by side with many other competing guns. I tried to like them but for the price I found them to be so mediocre. I already own many other HK firearms but I couldn't get myself to like this one. Hope you have better luck with yours.;)

SCMA-1

doc540
07-22-2009, 5:41 PM
man.......I shot the USP's in different cals and sizes, shot the Expert.....shot them side by side with many other competing guns. I tried to like them but for the price I found them to be so mediocre. I already own many other HK firearms but I couldn't get myself to like this one. Hope you have better luck with yours.;)

SCMA-1

already had better luck...

found a killah deal on a slightly used one;)

matrix056
07-22-2009, 5:49 PM
Gala, you called it. I have sold quite a few of my guns, the only one I regret was my USP .45 :banghead:

tEN wOLVES fIVE sHOOTER
07-22-2009, 6:14 PM
Congratulations, you're going to love it, I think anything HK puts out is over the top with quality, style and reliability, and they just feel better. IMHO.

Regards

tEN wOLVES

savasyn
07-22-2009, 6:21 PM
I would like to own an HK again, mostly to have one rather than shoot it as I do not like the trigger on them much. I used to have a fairly beat up P7M8 but sold it. I don't miss it shooting-wise, but as a collector, even the beat up one would have been worth keeping. Owell.

I really like the looks of the P2000, but have yet to try the full sized one(shot the SK twice). I did get to shoot an HK45 today. That was very nice. Great single action, best I've felt on an HK. DA was crappy, but still better than all the others I've fired. I'd get one of those if we could get them here for normal prices.

I'm sure you'll love your new one as most people who buy them tend to it seems.

bondmid003
07-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Did you post this over at the highroad as well? Congrats twice brother

hkdad
07-22-2009, 11:35 PM
you can't go wrong with a HK. looks good, goes bang every time you squeeze the trigger, good resale value and.... it's german made!

leelaw
07-22-2009, 11:39 PM
Meh. The USP series suffers from a terrible trigger. Not a bad pistol, but gawn does the trigger suck just enough for me to not buy one.

Not all that HK touches is gold. The P7M8 is, in my opinion, the pinnacle of their pistols. Awesome little gun.

dakobster81
07-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Enjoy your new HK, personally not a USP fan, shot a 45 and a 9, I like how the p2000 feels but havent shot one yet.

hkdad
07-22-2009, 11:53 PM
i don't know why everyone is complaining about the trigger. well, it not 1911 style trigger but i put my rounds where i aim it. good enough!!! plus it eats all the ammo you feed it. not like my 1911 jam o matic with crisp 2 lbs trigger. trigger breaks like glass but it's finicky with ammo. plus you get more rounds than a 1911 magazine!

B Strong
07-23-2009, 5:28 AM
The only USP I own is an Expert in .45, but I couldn't disagree more.

Shooting the HK side by side with a TRS, same session, same ammo, they have comparable accuracy out to 25 yds, but I'm slightly faster with the TRS (training and practice pays off)

The Expert is less expensive than the TRS.

SCMA-1

DDRH
07-23-2009, 7:48 AM
Congrats on the HK USP. Welcome to the HK Club. i've got a P2000 Compact in .40 S&W. maybe i'll get an SK one day. Hope you enjoy the USP.

doc540
07-23-2009, 8:33 AM
I bought it because I got a once-in-a-lifetime deal on it.

I'll compare it to my Sig and keep one or the other.

Sniper3142
07-23-2009, 8:49 AM
Congrats on your new HK USP.

My USPf in 45ACP is my favorite and go-to gun. It never jams, hits where I aim it, and is very tough.

It does suffer from what someone once called a "crap-tastic" trigger but I plan on upgrading to a match one someday.

tmuller
07-23-2009, 9:08 AM
Congrats on your USP. I like the USP platform and the trigger can certainly be made manageable (http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/personal/usp_trigger/usp_trigger_1.html). I just traded a P220ST for a USP 45 as I figure I can always buy either and wanted a change in .45. Enjoy!!

CAL.BAR
07-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Just don't shoot the new HK45 b/c once you do, you won't want your USP anymore.

doc540
07-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Just don't shoot the new HK45 b/c once you do, you won't want your USP anymore.

Not unless I find the new HK45 for less than $500 I won't.

Sobriquet
07-23-2009, 1:01 PM
You can put a match trigger in that USP in the future if you want to.

I have an HK45 and a P7M8 and can't figure out why people bash HK triggers. I've *never* had a failure to fire or eject and the gun is more accurate than I am with it. HK is not a frou frou competition gun, it's made for reliability first and foremost.

I personally love them. Enjoy yours and shoot it in good health.

savasyn
07-23-2009, 1:39 PM
I have an HK45 and a P7M8 and can't figure out why people bash HK triggers. I've *never* had a failure to fire or eject and the gun is more accurate than I am with it. HK is not a frou frou competition gun, it's made for reliability first and foremost.

I've been shooting Sigs since 1994 and over the years have fallen in love with their triggers. Every time I try an HK, be it a USP, P2000 or as of yesterday, an HK45, I just don't like the long, heavy, ambiguous DA pull. With the exception of the HK45, I find the SA pull to be a bit "squishy". The HK45 did feel pretty darn good, though.

I'm sure it's just personal preference. Had I been shooting HKs since '94, I may not like Sig's triggers. Who knows? For me, Sig makes the cleanest DA trigger.

Lancear15
07-23-2009, 2:45 PM
i don't know why everyone is complaining about the trigger. well, it not 1911 style trigger but i put my rounds where i aim it. good enough!!! plus it eats all the ammo you feed it. not like my 1911 jam o matic with crisp 2 lbs trigger. trigger breaks like glass but it's finicky with ammo. plus you get more rounds than a 1911 magazine!

I couldn't agree more. I love my USP 40, thousands of rounds through it and not a single jam.

CAL.BAR
07-23-2009, 3:21 PM
Not unless I find the new HK45 for less than $500 I won't.

No worries there!! (lol)

meloki03
07-23-2009, 5:44 PM
USP-45 not once jammed. Not one hiccup period. I bought the USP45 and two Glocks all within 3 months of each other. I love the trigger on the glocks, I love the reset. Both Glocks have steam boated. G19 and G33. I love them, but man the HK holds my trust by the hand.

dexter9659
07-23-2009, 5:58 PM
Very nice 2001 production. Now go grab a match OEM trigger grouping and out shoot everyone.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/216169.html

The Annoyed Man
07-23-2009, 6:07 PM
Meh. The USP series suffers from a terrible trigger. Not a bad pistol, but gawn does the trigger suck just enough for me to not buy one.

I have a USP Compact in .40 Cal. I agree that, out of the box, the trigger is just terrible. I have a $295.00 Keltec P3AT with a better DA trigger than my USPc. That said, over time, the single action let off has improved considerably. I'm a died-in-the-wool 1911 fan, and two of the pistols in my concealed carry rotation are 1911s; and both have really good SA triggers. My Kimber UC II in particular has a SA trigger which rivals the SA trigger on my S&W Model 29. It is simply outstanding. The SA trigger on the USPc is not in the same league as those pistols, but that said, it is now pretty well broken in, and it isn't as bad as it used to be. In fact, it is pretty tolerable, and I carry it cocked and locked. But OMG, the DA and de-cocked triggers are just abysmal. I hates 'em I does.

OTH, the thing is absolutely bullet proof (no pun intended). I've never had a failure to feed, fire, or eject - no matter what ammunition I use. So while I prefer my 1911s, I also have great confidence in the H&K. My only regret is that I didn't buy it in .45. The .40 Cal round is OK, but I'm a .45 man, and it just means one more caliber I've got to keep in stock.

BTW, are 12 round magazines still illegal in California? That's what mine came with - purchased in Texas.

The Annoyed Man
07-23-2009, 6:16 PM
Have you had someone look at your 1911s? Both my 5" Springfield Loaded and my Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II have run flawlessly now for several thousands of rounds between them. My son's Taurus PT1911 also runs reliably, and my 1943 Ithaca 1911A1, which was my dad's sidearm in WW2, is the same. It might be nothing more complicated than a dirty or poorly made magazine that's giving you grief. Certainly worth looking into if you haven't already done so.

OTH, I used to own a Sig GSR 1911, and it jammed all the time. Nothing I did ever seemed to remedy it. The good news is that the Sig name holds its value, and I was able to sell it a year later back to the store where I bought it for a loss of only about $75.00. I considered it a lesson learned, and put the rest of the money into the Kimber mentioned above.

Acorn556
07-23-2009, 6:29 PM
should have bought the 45. I have a think for an H&K 45 USP Compact with a threaded barrel outside of the great State of California.

hkdad
07-23-2009, 6:52 PM
Have you had someone look at your 1911s? Both my 5" Springfield Loaded and my Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II have run flawlessly now for several thousands of rounds between them. My son's Taurus PT1911 also runs reliably, and my 1943 Ithaca 1911A1, which was my dad's sidearm in WW2, is the same. It might be nothing more complicated than a dirty or poorly made magazine that's giving you grief. Certainly worth looking into if you haven't already done so.

OTH, I used to own a Sig GSR 1911, and it jammed all the time. Nothing I did ever seemed to remedy it. The good news is that the Sig name holds its value, and I was able to sell it a year later back to the store where I bought it for a loss of only about $75.00. I considered it a lesson learned, and put the rest of the money into the Kimber mentioned above.

i did have the most problems with the custom ones like the kimber gold match. i had 3 1911's that time. (2 gave me major problems so i sold it)i expected this gun to run flawlwessly out of the box. (since the tag price was really steep) i always had FTF problems (even with ball ammo) i went to a gunsmith to check for problems and he said the feedramp needs to get polished. i was like WTF? i spent more than $1300 for a pistol and it needs to be repaired already??? he was charging me $$$ so i didn't leave the gun with him. a friend of mine told me that it is very easy to polish it at home if you have a dremel. so i did try to polish it myself. went back to the range, shot 400 rounds without any problems after that the problem re-occured again. it had also problems feeding certain JHP rounds. i NEVER had ANY problems with ANY of my HK guns. out of the box they all ran flawlessly. :thumbsup:

Sobriquet
07-23-2009, 7:33 PM
I've been shooting Sigs since 1994 and over the years have fallen in love with their triggers. Every time I try an HK, be it a USP, P2000 or as of yesterday, an HK45, I just don't like the long, heavy, ambiguous DA pull. With the exception of the HK45, I find the SA pull to be a bit "squishy". The HK45 did feel pretty darn good, though.

I'm sure it's just personal preference. Had I been shooting HKs since '94, I may not like Sig's triggers. Who knows? For me, Sig makes the cleanest DA trigger.

Well, that's it then. I don't ever shoot my HK45 in DA. I keep it locked and cocked.

huna koa
07-23-2009, 8:10 PM
Well, that's it then. I don't ever shoot my HK45 in DA. I keep it locked and cocked.

after you've cleared your weapon; insert a dummy bullet, and dry fire in DA whenever you 'practice' at home. After a few hundred or more of such; go to the range and use real ammo in DA. Adjust your 'practice' sessions to acquire desired results. I have USP45 Expert and FS; both with factory match triggers; and I carry everyday, at work and 'other' related activities. These weapons are designed for 'work' first and other second; altho it's your choice as the owner what you do with them.

The Annoyed Man
07-24-2009, 12:41 PM
i always had FTF problems (even with ball ammo) i went to a gunsmith to check for problems and he said the feedramp needs to get polished. i was like WTF? i spent more than $1300 for a pistol and it needs to be repaired already??? he was charging me $$$ so i didn't leave the gun with him. a friend of mine told me that it is very easy to polish it at home if you have a dremel. so i did try to polish it myself. went back to the range, shot 400 rounds without any problems after that the problem re-occured again. it had also problems feeding certain JHP rounds.

Magazines can be a very common source of misfeeds in the 1911 - even expensive magazines - if the feed lips aren't properly adjusted. All the same, the H&K is a great gun, and you're not going to go wrong owning one.

Rudolf the Red
07-24-2009, 1:39 PM
I always wanted a VP70Z. Those guns were $350-$450 in the early 90's. Never did it. I have, however, owned an HK4. Junk in my opinion. The .380 bbl was super ammo finicky and the .22 side of the firing pin would, more often than not, fail to sufficiently crush the rim of a .22 cartridge. I also had a P9S once. That was cool. You could cock it with a lever on the side. Now, I just have a P7 PSP. Not an M8, but fun nevertheless.

WeekendWarrior
07-24-2009, 2:01 PM
Gala, you called it. I have sold quite a few of my guns, the only one I regret was my USP .45 :banghead:

My USP .45 was my first real pistol (my 1st actual pistol was a P-22) and it will never, ever get sold no matter what. I would burry it if I had to and dig it up at a later date (which interestingly enough you CAN do with HKs!)

Put some night sghts on it if you havent already. I through a TLR-2 light/laser combo on it as well - as close to a spec ops pistol as I could put together before I really knew anything about guns.

aplinker
07-24-2009, 2:13 PM
My USP .45 was my first real pistol (my 1st actual pistol was a P-22) and it will never, ever get sold no matter what. I would burry it if I had to and dig it up at a later date (which interestingly enough you CAN do with HKs!)

Put some night sghts on it if you havent already. I through a TLR-2 light/laser combo on it as well - as close to a spec ops pistol as I could put together before I really knew anything about guns.

I've also heard they can get you chicks and cure cancer.

Some of this thread is full of BS.

HKs are decent guns... they have their +/-'s. I don't think anything about them warrants their price.

I have two now, but I'm down from many more. I don't really regret it, though I sometimes wish I still had the P9 and P7, just because they're unique.

Even the so-called "Match" trigger for the USP isn't worth a damn.

dexter9659
07-24-2009, 2:40 PM
I have two now, but I'm down from many more. I don't really regret it, though I sometimes wish I still had the P9 and P7, just because they're unique.

Even the so-called "Match" trigger for the USP isn't worth a damn.

You sold them?!?!? you sir are mad! lol. I locked mine up and show them to people just because they are so unique. I loove my usp 45 expert, I still shoot 2-3" groups at 50yd with that thing even after 65k+ rounds... though I pretty much just shoot 1911s now, and of course my M1A.

Btw, you will appreciate this. SMC finally sent me my diploma with both majors I earned instead of one... after years of argument (they have no double major policy).

JBird33
07-24-2009, 4:43 PM
You sold them?!?!? you sir are mad! lol. I locked mine up and show them to people just because they are so unique. I loove my usp 45 expert, I still shoot 2-3" groups at 50yd with that thing even after 65k+ rounds... though I pretty much just shoot 1911s now, and of course my M1A.

Btw, you will appreciate this. SMC finally sent me my diploma with both majors I earned instead of one... after years of argument (they have no double major policy).

You sound like a pretty darn good shot with a handgun. To be honest it would probably take me a couple tries to hit a paper plate at 150 feet away, let alone get a 2" group.

forgiven
07-24-2009, 4:52 PM
I love my tactical .45, but I like my P229's over my .40 compact.

dexter9659
07-24-2009, 5:07 PM
You sound like a pretty darn good shot with a handgun. To be honest it would probably take me a couple tries to hit a paper plate at 150 feet away, let alone get a 2" group.

Thanks! Practice practice practice. 2-3 times a week at the range, and lots of coaching.

One Shot, One Dropped
07-24-2009, 10:11 PM
GOOD CALL!

I love my H&Ks! (Especially my HK45 and P30 :))

doc540
07-24-2009, 11:09 PM
"HKs are decent guns... they have their +/-'s. I don't think anything about them warrants their price."

Really?

How much did I pay for mine?;)

aplinker
07-25-2009, 1:33 AM

Sold an Expert, too... they're not all that. Terrible triggers and no more accurate than a good 1911.

Consistent 2-3" groups at 50yds? I'm sorry, bro, but I'm gonna need to call BS. You're in olympic x-ring territory, and those guns are a whole different league of accurate. No match USP trigger is going to be able to do it.

dexter9659
07-25-2009, 1:56 PM
Come on by Chabot, Ill show yah.

Rob Roy
07-25-2009, 3:50 PM
I find HK way overpriced. If I were to buy HK, I'd go with P7, MK23(poor us no luck to get it here) and MP5(this one is a masterpiece).
As for the rest, there are better value options out there.

Irv
07-25-2009, 5:47 PM
Congrats. Enjoy your new addition.
I enjoy my HK45c

The Annoyed Man
08-04-2009, 1:47 PM
"HKs are decent guns... they have their +/-'s. I don't think anything about them warrants their price."

Really?

How much did I pay for mine?;)

I've got no idea what you paid for yours, but I know what I paid for my USPc in November of 2006: $739.00 at Sportsmans Warehouse in Lewisville, Texas. That was back before Obama cut the value of a dollar down from 50 to 25, or roughly, the value of a cup of warm spit.

All I can say, having both a USPc in .40 S&W and a Glock 19 9mm in the safe, is that the H&K, while a pretty good gun, isn't a substantially better gun than the Glock, and the Glock was $140.00 less ($599), new in the box - with three magazines included instead of the two provided by H&K. They both have 2nd tier quality triggers - even though they are different. Even so, the H&K single action trigger is only marginally better than the Glock striker action trigger - which is in turn orders of magnitude better than the H&K's double action trigger. The H&K is acceptably accurate. The Glock is surprisingly accurate. The Glock finish is tougher by a mile than the H&K finish, although I suspect that there is little difference in the toughness of the polymer frames.The USP ergonomics are marginally better than the Glock's. The Glock came with Meprolight night sights. The USP came with regular white 3 dot sights. That said, both pistols are durable and reliable in the extreme, and I would be comfortable with either in a life or death situation.

Don't get me wrong... I like my H&K, and I intend to keep it, but compared to other pistols in its class, the USPc is not a good bargain, and it certainly isn't worth $140 more than the Glock. So I guess that price difference is what people are willing to pay to sport the H&K logos on their stuff. I didn't realize that at the time I bought mine, and I'm neither a fan nor a detractor of the brand... ...just a realist. But if I had to do it again, I would have probably bought a Glock, or maybe an XD, in .45 ACP. I'm trying to simplify my caliber storage problems.