PDA

View Full Version : DSL Bill qualify as "utility bill"?

frank828
07-22-2009, 10:59 AM
hey guys, so i'm looking to get my first gun and i know i need a utility bill or something of the sort to prove my residence.

from the DOJ website it states:

""Utility bill" means a statement of charges for providing service to the individual's residence by either a physical connection (i.e., hard wired telephone connection or cable connection, or a water or gas pipeline connection) or a telemetric connection (i.e., satellite television or radio broadcast service) to a non-mobile, fixed antenna reception device."

i'm guessing that means a dsl connection should work. Will i have an issue from some FFL's? I'm thinking i might run into a detour if i run into someone that wants to interpret it a different way.

Closest FFL near me is in Brea, i guess i'll be contacting them soon to ask about it. Any of you have any experience with it?

Thanks

grammaton76
07-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Phone bills count. DSL uses phone line. So, I would imagine that yes it should count.

frank828
07-22-2009, 11:07 AM
my name isnt on the phone bill, but is on my separate dsl company bill(all of which are only online, wonder if a printout would work or if i have to have them send me a paper invoice)

just would hate to run into a hassle if i find someone to do a PPT with.

Cjones38
07-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Comcast bill worked for me, I'd call them up and ask. They should tell you it works, but you'd know before you drove out there.

Once A Marine
07-22-2009, 11:19 AM
You can also use vehicle registration.

frank828
07-22-2009, 11:32 AM
my name isnt on my car's registration. bleh...

do credit card bills and bank statements work also?

thempopresense
07-22-2009, 11:40 AM
CA DL and CA ID card's count. Lease agreement too.

ke6guj
07-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Here is the regulations regarding residency, http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/chapter4.pdf

I don't see CC bills or bank statements as meeting any of the requirements.

Don't have anything issued by a local, state, or federal agency with your name or address on it.

Perhaps a lease agreement? If you live with a roommate, or parents, and everything is in their name, you can have them fill out a lease agreement leasing your room to you.

CA DL and CA ID card's count. Lease agreement too.If the OP is buying a handgun, CA DL or ID do not count to establish residency. But if he is buying a long gun, all he needs is a CA DL/ID card with his current address and he is done, no other documentation needed.

frank828
07-22-2009, 11:46 AM
well i have my driver's license. i just needed the proof of residency thing.

getting a lease agreement wouldnt work for me.

pretty much the only bills in my name right now are cc, dsl, cellphone, health insurance. I think pretty much DSL is the closest thing to a utility i have.

ke6guj
07-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Yup, looks like DSL is the only utility bill that you have that would work.

frank828
07-22-2009, 11:52 AM
and i would be buying a handgun.

i saw all the guidelines, i'm just wondering if the dsl bill would pass as it seems to fall within the guidelines of a service provided through a physical connection to the residence.

i guess i'll just have to ask the FFL before i go.

ke6guj
07-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Yup, a DSL connections is a service supplied through a physical connection to the house, so it should meet the regs. But in the end, it is up to the FFL what documentation he will accept.

For instance, A C&R FFL license meets the requirements, but some FFLs will gladly accept it for residency, others may take some talking into, and still others won't accept it at all. Just depends on the FFL

dfens
07-22-2009, 12:27 PM
A DSL bill should work I used my comcast cable internet connection bill and they were more than happy to take that. As long as it's a DSL company they have heard of it should be fine.

What's funny they got all pissey when I wanted to use my car registration, and they almost demanded a utility bill only. I asked what if that's all I got and he said I guess I have to take it.

I gave him the stupid comcast bill anyways.

MasterYong
07-22-2009, 1:09 PM
Huh.

I've used DSL, Cell Phone, Motorcycle Registration (was expired even LOL), and Water bill at a few different FFLs and I've never had a problem. The DSL should be G2G.

ke6guj
07-22-2009, 1:18 PM
you got lucky with a cell phone bill. CADOJ has stated that they are not acceptable since anybody can put down any address they want and still get a cell phone.

MasterYong
07-22-2009, 1:24 PM
you got lucky with a cell phone bill. CADOJ has stated that they are not acceptable since anybody can put down any address they want and still get a cell phone.

I was more surprised about the expired motorcycle registration, really, but I didn't realize it until after I had left the shop (I never put the new one in my wallet) and the FFL at that particular shop knows me as a regular.

jben
07-22-2009, 3:22 PM
Frank,
You may want to check with your FFL before you start the paperwork. I know of more than one FFL that flat out refuse to accept utility bills for proof of residency. These particular FFLs will only accept government issued sources, DL, DMV registration, etc.

Big Jake
07-22-2009, 4:24 PM
The best thing to use for proof of California residency is your car registration! That is what I use and have never had a problem with it!

ke6guj
07-22-2009, 4:32 PM
that works if the car registration is in your name. The OP's car is not in his name, and some people drive company cars. So, they have to work on alternate POR's.

Big Jake
07-22-2009, 4:37 PM
I can see how that is a problem! Another source of proof is a mortgage bill or rental agreement, however, this will only work if you have them in your name!:cowboy:

frank828
07-22-2009, 5:13 PM
Frank,
You may want to check with your FFL before you start the paperwork. I know of more than one FFL that flat out refuse to accept utility bills for proof of residency. These particular FFLs will only accept government issued sources, DL, DMV registration, etc.

oh i have my CA DL. from what i understand, i need my DL AND some sort of utility bill that confirms i am at the address on my license.

i can get the car in my name but that would take quite a bit of time as i'm pretty sure a temporary document from the DMV would not be acceptable.

ke6guj
07-22-2009, 5:50 PM
just call your FFL and see what he will accept before you go about doing extra stuff. And if that FFL won't accept the DSL bill, others in your local area may.