PDA

View Full Version : AZ home invasion stopped by rifleman

Liberty1
07-22-2009, 11:48 AM
http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/self_defense/index.php

Tucson home invasion
Posted by David Hardy · 22 July 2009 11:15 AM

Around here, home invasion robbery stories usually end with a description of the robber's gunshot wounds. This case was a bit out of the ordinary. One of the robbers was a correctional officer. While they were pistol whipping the victim, his neighbor came outside and challenged them, and they shot at the neighbor.

The neighbor's son had a rifle and settled that affair quickly.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/301902.php

Corrections officer involved in Tucson home invasion, deputies say
By Brian J. Pedersen

Arizona Daily Star
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 07.22.2009

A 27-year-old man who died during an apparent home invasion last Friday was a corrections officer, his employer confirmed Tuesday.

Danny Torres had worked at the Saguaro Correctional Center in Eloy for about two years, said Louise Grant, a spokeswoman for Corrections Corporation of America, which runs the private medium-security facility.

Torres was found wounded outside a home in the 4400 block of East Benson Highway by Pima County Sheriff’s deputies, who were responding to a 911 call from a neighbor who said armed gunmen had entered a nearby house, spokeswoman Deputy Dawn Barkman said.

Torres, who was pronounced dead after being taken to University Medical Center, was shot by the neighbor’s son after the gunmen fired at the neighbor, Barkman said.

Torres was one of three men involved in the attack, Barkman said. He and two other men arrived in a dark-colored van, entered the house and pistol-whipped a man who lived there while his wife and child were in the home, Barkman said.

“He was involved. He was a suspect. I don’t care if he was a corrections officer,” Barkman said.

Two others — 19-year-old Manuel Nathan Moreno and 18-year-old Alejandro Salazar Romero — were stopped near South Country Club and East Irvington roads and were later booked into the Pima County Jail on suspicion of first-degree murder.

Arizona law allows those involved in the commission of certain felonies that results in the death of another person, including other felons, to be held responsible for the death.

rrr70
07-22-2009, 11:52 AM
SWEET!

Theseus
07-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Not that I have been asked, but it has been implied that my neighbors don't mind my guns and would not mind terribly if I used them in defense of their homes and families.

But that lady down the street that keeps washing the leaves off the sidewalk, driveway and lawn will have to just wait for the police.

Good on these shooters (the good ones). Just goes to show how important it is to know your target and be skilled enough to hit it. Just remember to look deep.

cactustactical
07-22-2009, 12:27 PM
I love living in Arizona!!

Great job neighbor!!

Art
www.SecondAmendmentTaskForce.com

MKE
07-22-2009, 12:34 PM
But that lady down the street that keeps washing the leaves off the sidewalk, driveway and lawn will have to just wait for the police.

:rofl2:...I can relate to this!

Mac Attack
07-22-2009, 12:38 PM
RTFO! I wonder what a CO is doing getting involved in a scheme like this.

I wonder if the person who's home was invaded was also Latino? It seems that Latino's like to pray on their own kind because they tend to keep their cash in their homes.

badicedog
07-22-2009, 2:13 PM
Good point. I always wonder when it comes to home invasion robberies. Inside job? Case of someone didnt STFU about family finances?f@ckin dirtbags! One more example of why we should all be good neighbors!

DisgruntledReaper
07-22-2009, 3:26 PM
"Torres was one of three men involved in the attack, Barkman said. He and two other men arrived in a dark-colored van, entered the house and pistol-whipped a man who lived there while his wife and child were in the home, Barkman said.

“He was involved. He was a suspect. I don’t care if he was a corrections officer,” Barkman said.

Two others — 19-year-old Manuel Nathan Moreno and 18-year-old Alejandro Salazar Romero — were stopped near South Country Club and East Irvington roads and were later booked into the Pima County Jail on suspicion of first-degree murder."

Typical element and too bad the neighbor did not nail the other 2 also...would have saved us taxpayers' some $$....

I bet if ALL the crooked cops,CO,Lawyers,Poli****ins,etc were found out and sent to Antarctica to freeze and rot..there would be a TON of job openings for honest people....

CSACANNONEER
07-22-2009, 3:35 PM
So this guy was a glorified rent-a-cop right? It sounds like he worked at a privately run correctional facility. I doubt that these so called "officers" are real sworn peace officers.

Grakken
07-22-2009, 3:53 PM
Well he is dead so at least I don't have to pay for his 3 hots and a cot.

GaryV
07-22-2009, 8:16 PM
I worked for 5 years in a police department in a city (not in CA) in which a couple of correctional facilities were located. Because of this, we also had a large local population of corrections officers. These were state-run facilities, so the officers were not private corporate employees. I can say without reservation that we had more trouble with COs than with any other segment of the local population, even the ex-cons who tended to settle there because their families had relocated while they served their sentences. I had to take one down at gunpoint the first week I was on the job, and had to deal with one involved in either a felony or serious misdemeanor almost every week after. They were seriously frustrated police wannabes (they had no police powers in that state, including no legal power to be armed in public - which they all were). While I know that many COs are great people who do a damn difficult job - one I am not afraid to admit I wouldn't want to have to do - (I have several family members who are or have been COs), but that experience really colored my view of them. Doesn't surprise me at all to hear that one was involved in something like this.

Paladin
07-22-2009, 10:12 PM
"While they were pistol whipping the victim, his neighbor came outside and challenged them, and they shot at the neighbor.

The neighbor's son had a rifle and settled that affair quickly."

Lesson learned: Don't bring only a HGN to a rifle fight.