PDA

View Full Version : Thune's legislation & Kalifornia

SONYEXEC
07-22-2009, 10:12 AM
For those more in the know than I, what would Senator Thune's proposed legislation on Federal CCW requirements mean to those of us in Kalif.??

If you don't know about this latest piece of legislation take a read:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/morning-fix/072209morning-fix-thune.html?hpid=topnews

MasterYong
07-22-2009, 10:26 AM
If this is the legislation that I think it is, then I'm pretty sure it'd mean the same thing for folks in CA as it would for just about anything else. The bill would require 100% reciprocity not just for permits, but for states following the CCW laws of the individual in question's state of residence.

That way, if you have a CA CCW permit and you live in CA, but happen to be in NY then it would be OK to carry.

Similarly, if you live in AK or VT, where you don't need a permit at all to carry, then you wouldn't need a permit to carry in any other state.

Seems like it would make CCW laws unenforceable, as it's possible to claim dual residency in states (politicians do it all the time) so if an LEO stopped you with a concealed weapon they would have no way of checking then and there if you were a resident of VT or AK. I wouldn't recommend trying it, but it does make you wonder. It'd probably get you arrested though.

It's a neat piece of legistlation in that it doesn't affect VT or AK adversely. All the other CCW bills I've seen proposed that are pro-CCW would have required folks in VT or AK to get a permit and this one doesn't.

I may be misunderstanding the legislation however. I'm no lawyer, and certainly no politician.

ETA: Oh, and I think maybe this would have gotten a better response if you had posted this in the 2A forum.

SONYEXEC
07-22-2009, 10:41 AM
I see. So if (assuming this legis passes) I'm CCW'g in Calif, get pulled over, flash my handy dandy UT CCW permit then I would be golden (presumably) all I would only have to tell the LEO that I'm a resident of UT & Calif. :43:

Naturally this is all preliminary thinking for the moment.

cactustactical
07-22-2009, 10:47 AM
This would be good if it passed... With the increased threat of terrorism, I believe with more law abiding trained American citizens carrying we would have a safer nation.

The keyword here is trained. People have to take it upon themselves the get trained and keep their skills up. I don't believe it is the governments responsibility to make sure people are trained, I believe it is the individuals.

Art
www.SecondAmendmentTaskForce.com

Librarian
07-22-2009, 11:13 AM
I see. So if (assuming this legis passes) I'm CCW'g in Calif, get pulled over, flash my handy dandy UT CCW permit then I would be golden (presumably) all I would only have to tell the LEO that I'm a resident of UT & Calif. :43:

Naturally this is all preliminary thinking for the moment.

Right; some plausible demonstration that you live in UT would be required, because my reading of the bill suggests it does NOT cover non-resident licenses.

A possible consequence of this passing might be that states stop issuing NR CCW. There wouldn't be a lot of need for it any more -- except for we poor afflicted Californians and a couple other places.

That would set up an interesting situation in which residents of other states, while in California, have more privileges than residents of California.

frankym
07-22-2009, 11:17 AM
It didn't pass anyways, needed two more votes.

SONYEXEC
07-22-2009, 2:36 PM
YUP I just read that. Maybe with such a close margin they'll try it again.