PDA

View Full Version : buying an unregistered gun

sausage450r
07-21-2009, 10:39 PM
I've come upon a good deal on a california legal gun, here within the state. the only catch is the gun has never been registered. the owner is a cop, and has had it for 15 years, guy who owned it before him was a cop. what do i need to do to buy this gun?

scootergmc
07-21-2009, 10:40 PM
You both go to a dealer and do a private party transfer. Don't worry, the boogeyman won't come.

DJMAN
07-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Hit the closest FFL and do a PPT. :)

bodger
07-21-2009, 10:41 PM
I didn't know guns had to registered in this state to begin with.

Liberty1
07-21-2009, 10:45 PM

They don't have to be (except AWs and 50 BMGs), but newly bought or transferred pistols (all PPT have to go through an FFL) get DROSED and defacto registered with DOJ. Or if one imports previously owned out of state handguns one has 60 days? to register them with the DOJ.

Mstrty
07-21-2009, 10:45 PM

<<duck>>>

sausage450r
07-21-2009, 10:49 PM
okay so i gotta get him to go do a PPT with me? he wanted to just sell it cash and just say its been in the family type thing. its not shady a shady thing either he is not a stranger

ke6guj
07-21-2009, 10:50 PM

in most cases, guns do not have to be registered in CA. However, whenever a handgun is transfered in this state by an FFL, either as a sale or to facilitate a PPT transfer, the handgun is registered in the buyer's name. And if you move into the state after 1998, you are required to register your handguns within 60? days. If you are a C&R FFL and purchase a C&R handgun while out of sate, you have to register it within 5 days of importing it into CA. If you give/sell your grandparent, parent, child, or grandchild a handgun, that transfer has to be reported to CADOJ, where the handgun is registered to the new owner. But, if you've owned a handgun from before the transfer to you was required to be reported, the handgun may not be registered to you. And it is not a crime to own a handgun that is not registered to you.

CHS
07-21-2009, 10:50 PM
its not shady a shady thing either he is not a stranger

He's a cop. He should know the law. It's still shady because it's AGAINST THE FREAKING LAW.

Smack that moron officer with a legal book.

sausage450r
07-21-2009, 10:52 PM
alright guys thanks for the info!

KylaGWolf
07-21-2009, 11:04 PM
okay so i gotta get him to go do a PPT with me? he wanted to just sell it cash and just say its been in the family type thing. its not shady a shady thing either he is not a stranger

I wouldn't just do it for cash and the friend being an ex cop they should know better as well.

sausage450r
07-21-2009, 11:11 PM
we'll do it the legit way. i have a guy that does ppt's cheap so its worth it

ke6guj
07-21-2009, 11:19 PM
we'll do it the legit way. i have a guy that does ppt's cheap so its worth itAll PPTs are "cheap", per say. They are limited to $35 total, per state law. Now, if you FFL does them for less than $35 total, $25 state DROS + $10 dealer fee, then that is cheap.

sausage450r
07-21-2009, 11:27 PM
really? i've talked to places that charge more then that. my cheap guy charges the 35$ 10 to him 25 to the state and .88 tax

this site lists charges at places and it varies
http://shooting.forsandiego.com/Stores.html

ke6guj
07-21-2009, 11:33 PM
that list is refering to "transfers", not "Private Party Transfers".

A PPT is between two CA-residents who both go to the FFL at the same time to have the dealer facilitate the transfer for them. A PPT, per CA law, can't be more than $35 for 1 firearm, and is actually a misdemeanor if the dealer charges you more than that. Sometimes you have to clarify, when calling, that you are doing a PPT transfer. They may otherwise assume you are talking about a regular transfer.

A transfer of any other type is not limited to $35 total, and the dealer can charge whatever fee he wishes. Types would include internet transfers, a transfer shipped in from another CA-resident, a transfer between an out-of-state seller and CA-buyer who both appear in front of the FFL, or a straight up sale from the dealer. There is no set price that the dealer must charge for any of those transfers, other than CA wants its $25 DROS cut.

JDay
07-21-2009, 11:48 PM

Sounds a little shady to me, how do you know he didn't confiscate it while on patrol? 15 years would mean he bought it in 1994 it would have gone through DROS if legally purchased.

JDay
07-21-2009, 11:50 PM
really? i've talked to places that charge more then that. my cheap guy charges the 35$ 10 to him 25 to the state and .88 tax

Tax for what? He's not selling you anything.

JDay
07-21-2009, 11:52 PM
that list is refering to "transfers", not "Private Party Transfers".

A PPT is between two CA-residents who both go to the FFL at the same time to have the dealer facilitate the transfer for them. A PPT, per CA law, can't be more than $35 for 1 firearm, and is actually a misdemeanor if the dealer charges you more than that. Sometimes you have to clarify, when calling, that you are doing a PPT transfer. They may otherwise assume you are talking about a regular transfer.

Do you have PC to back that up? AFAIK a PPT is not limited to transfers between CA residents, its just that the DROS software wont allow another state to be entered. Backdoor regulation or lazy programmer.

ke6guj
07-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Tax for what? He's not selling you anything.$0.88 would appear to be the dealer fee of $10 taxed at 8.75%.

ke6guj
07-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Do you have PC to back that up? AFAIK a PPT is not limited to transfers between CA residents, its just that the DROS software wont allow another state to be entered. Backdoor regulation or lazy programmer.true, I don't have PC to back that up. Yes, the DROS software won't allow for an out-of-state resident to sell via a PPT. Its probably both, backdoor reg and lazy programmer. IIRC, the DROS software used to accept an out-of-state seller, and then the DROS software was updated, and the OOS seller capability was removed. IIRC, that happened around the same time the card swiper was added, and the programmer might not have wanted to support data strearms from 50 different state IDs, but I doubt CADOJ complained too much :D CGF has mentioned looking into the issue in the past.

So, PPT transfers are effectily limited to two CA-residents who both appear in front of the FFL at the same time.

cousinkix1953
07-22-2009, 3:21 AM
This cannot be done with a handgun and a LEO should know better. No exceptions for C&R models over 50 years old either...

forgiven
07-22-2009, 8:50 AM
You both go to a dealer and do a private party transfer. Don't worry, the boogeyman won't come.

:yes:

Peter W Bush
07-22-2009, 9:12 AM

It would be best for you and your police officer friend if you didn't write stuff like this on the internet.

CHS
07-22-2009, 10:41 AM
It would be best for you and your police officer friend if you didn't write stuff like this on the internet.

Bwaaahahahaha.. That's rich.

Guess what? I have a live hand grenade at home and 3 machine guns.

There, I said something silly on the internet. Good luck getting a warrant on that one.

CnCFunFactory
07-22-2009, 11:03 AM

There, I said something silly on the internet. Good luck getting a warrant on that one.

Careful what you wish for... :TFH:

LOL.

Decoligny
07-22-2009, 11:12 AM
$0.88 would appear to be the dealer fee of $10 taxed at 8.75%.

8.75% is the SALES tax.

Nothing is being sold.

A service is being provided, thus there should be NO TAX.

CnCFunFactory
07-22-2009, 11:18 AM
8.75% is the SALES tax.

Nothing is being sold.

It's 9.75% here in LA county as of July 1. Don't know where the OP was originally posting from....

ke6guj
07-22-2009, 11:21 AM
8.75% is the SALES tax.

Nothing is being sold.

A service is being provided, thus there should be NO TAX.I would agree that it shouldn't be taxed, but IIRC, the BOE has ruled that some services are taxable, and that the service fee is taxable in this case.

Cjones38
07-22-2009, 11:32 AM
So the OP didn't say, but if it's a handgun and his first, then he gets to pay and take a little test to get his HSC even with a PPT, right?

Peter W Bush
07-22-2009, 11:48 AM

:Ivan:

sausage450r
07-22-2009, 8:33 PM
why shouldn't I talk about this here? Im asking a legitimate question in a legitimate forum. there is no law that says you can't ask questions. So all who are dying to know can sleep well tonight. I checked the gun out today its all legit, even has the original box it came in. went and did the PPT today and she will be in my possession in 10 days. the gun is 99% condition, mint considering its about 18+ years old. you would all cry if i told you what model and how much i paid.

bodger
07-22-2009, 8:34 PM
why shouldn't I talk about this here? Im asking a legitimate question in a legitimate forum. there is no law that says you can't ask questions. So all who are dying to know can sleep well tonight. I checked the gun out today its all legit, even has the original box it came in. went and did the PPT today and she will be in my possession in 10 days. the gun is 99% condition, mint considering its about 18+ years old. you would all cry if i told you what model and how much i paid.

I like a good cry. What did you get? :o

Eroland7
07-22-2009, 8:35 PM
I want to Cry!! I like hearing about people scoring good deals. It gives me hope that it could happen to me someday!

bodger
07-22-2009, 8:41 PM
I want to Cry!! I like hearing about people scoring good deals. It gives me hope that it could happen to me someday!

He sent me a PM
It's a 1965 Colt Python nickel finish, unfired, original box and papers.
$300.

Crying yet?? .....just kidding, he didn't PM me.

sausage450r
07-22-2009, 8:46 PM
not quite that nice, I'll let you know in 10 days i don't wanna jynx this one.

bodger
07-22-2009, 8:52 PM
They don't have to be (except AWs and 50 BMGs), but newly bought or transferred pistols (all PPT have to go through an FFL) get DROSED and defacto registered with DOJ. Or if one imports previously owned out of state handguns one has 60 days? to register them with the DOJ.

Okay, the DROS and DOJ record I know about and understand.

I have guns that I purchased face-to-face from their owners in the late ' 80's as a result of answering classified ads in the Recycler newspaper. No paper trail at all.
I don't have to "register" those guns do I? None of them are on the AW list or otherwise prohibited to own in this state.

1911su16b870
07-22-2009, 9:03 PM
...And it is not a crime to own a handgun that is not registered to you.

My two cents...If you choose to use an "off the radar" firearm for HD or emergency type CCW, I would recommend you submit the voluntary paperwork to BOF and get it up on the AFS, to cover any unforeseen eventualities that could result in LEO contact with you and that firearm.

taloft
07-22-2009, 9:11 PM

I have guns that I purchased face-to-face from their owners in the late ' 80's as a result of answering classified ads in the Recycler newspaper. No paper trail at all.
I don't have to "register" those guns do I? None of them are on the AW list or otherwise prohibited to own in this state.Short answer, no you do not.

ke6guj
07-22-2009, 9:15 PM

I don't have to "register" those guns do I? None of them are on the AW list or otherwise prohibited to own in this state.

No, you don't have to register them.

My two cents...If you choose to use an "off the radar" firearm for HD or emergency type CCW, I would recommend you submit the voluntary paperwork to BOF and get it up on the AFS, to cover any unforeseen eventualities that could result in LEO contact with you and that firearm.true. Expecially in regards to CCW. Unlicensed CCW is a felony with a firearm that is not registered to you, but is a wobbler (could be tried as misdemeanor or felony) if the gun is registered to you.

motorhead
07-23-2009, 8:14 AM
i dispair for our side every time i read a thread like this. i fear the antis work is half done when so many believe that firearms require registration. the fear/indoctrination is already in place. where do we line up for those barcode tattoos on our foreheads? i know they're coming so i want to get a good spot in line. AAAAAAAH!:banghead:

1923mack
07-23-2009, 8:42 AM
Motorhead, I agree, am amazed at how many people in this forum (a furum supporting gun rights) think that all handguns in this state are registered. The anti's seem to have done a good job. Lets keep tying to spread the truth!

dwtt
07-23-2009, 11:24 AM
He sent me a PM
$300.

You have a sick sense of humor. For a few seconds I thought you really scored until I saw the last line.

motorhead
07-23-2009, 12:49 PM
christ, i've got pre 68 guns that technically don't exist. i can't think of any reason on the planet to VOLUNTARILY register a firearm. just to be safe doesn't get it. if you want to be safe, nail yourself inside a closet and have food and water passed through a door slot.

there are NO good gun laws.

sausage450r
07-23-2009, 5:39 PM
i feel where all of you are comming from. I hate the registration crap too, but im not going to jail for a 250$ gun. it was police owned at one point. it has a paper trail somewhere, so im gonna just do this one legit

bwiese
07-23-2009, 5:57 PM
i feel where all of you are comming from. I hate the registration crap too, but im not going to jail for a 250$ gun. it was police owned at one point. it has a paper trail somewhere, so im gonna just do this one legit

Do all others in the future legit too, not just this one.

Amacias805
07-23-2009, 6:55 PM

I've definitely heard story's of warrants being granted to search people who said stupid thing on the internet. are they rare, yes, but they do happen.

bwiese
07-23-2009, 7:01 PM
I've definitely heard story's of warrants being granted to search people who said stupid thing on the internet. are they rare, yes, but they do happen.

Look what happened to BWO and his orig MySpace posting.

Peter W Bush
07-23-2009, 7:07 PM
Look what happened to BWO and his orig MySpace posting.

I heard (somewhat) what happened to him. How was it related to MySpace?

bwiese
07-23-2009, 7:58 PM
I heard (somewhat) what happened to him. How was it related to MySpace?

Broad strokes, with likely minor incorrect items..

-BWO was a student gov't leader and returning vet at East LA College
-other students/ student gov't types didn't like him (politics, vet, etc.)
-his MySpace page had pictures of him shooting OLLs and semiauto M1919
-somebody dropped a dime on him based on this, said he had illegal guns
-LAPD takes him down, arrests for assault weapons & other weapon items
- thought M1919 was MG stolen from US Gov't: sideplate said 'US Property'
-LAPD thought his old military underwear, ID card & biohazard suit were stolen military property instead of personally-assigned consumables.

Peter W Bush
07-23-2009, 9:06 PM
Broad strokes, with likely minor incorrect items..

-BWO was a student gov't leader and returning vet at East LA College
-other students/ student gov't types didn't like him (politics, vet, etc.)
-his MySpace page had pictures of him shooting OLLs and semiauto M1919
-somebody dropped a dime on him based on this, said he had illegal guns
-LAPD takes him down, arrests for assault weapons & other weapon items
- thought M1919 was MG stolen from US Gov't: sideplate said 'US Property'
-LAPD thought his old military underwear, ID card & biohazard suit were stolen military property instead of personally-assigned consumables.

wow.. Thats enough to make your life miserable for at least a few years. Any idea on why the sideplate was marked "US Property?"

ke6guj
07-23-2009, 9:15 PM
Any idea on why the sideplate was marked "US Property?"because the makers of the semi-auto side-plates try to duplicate the markings of the original 1919a4, including sometimes Machine Gun as well.

JDay
07-24-2009, 12:04 AM
He sent me a PM
$300.

I wouldn't want one with a nickle finish, the blued pythons look much nicer. Would buy that and resell it however.

bodger
07-24-2009, 11:29 PM
I wouldn't want one with a nickle finish, the blued pythons look much nicer. Would buy that and resell it however.

And make a lot of money in the process.

I bought a brand new Python in 1980. Blue, six inch barrel.
The bluing on that gun was really deep.
Great gun. I sold it to a friend who ran hot .357 loads through it a lot. The cylinder fell out one day up in San Francisquito Canyon. Don't know if it was the ammo or not, but it plopped right outta there.

buochie
08-04-2009, 9:28 PM
thanks for the info!

sausage450r
08-18-2009, 5:35 PM
8.75% is the SALES tax.

Nothing is being sold.

in california you have to charge tax on certain things. I have to charge tax on shipping and hazmat fees in my profession even though they are outside services.

freonr22
08-18-2009, 5:45 PM
inbound freight is taxable if the customer is taxable. Like inbound to the shop. outbound freight is not taxable. like the shop orders you a barrel. you pay tax on the freight to the shop. they ship the barrel out to your home. NOT taxable