PDA

View Full Version : Open carry question

Spade421
07-21-2009, 9:26 PM
Do you have to be 21 to open carry ? Or just of legal age (18) to own a handgun ? :confused:

locosway
07-21-2009, 9:29 PM
I believe 18

lorax3
07-21-2009, 9:52 PM
One only needs to be 18. However it cannot be stressed enough how DANGEROUS open carry can be, especially by yourself.
I can tell you from personal experience that is takes a lot of research to open carry. State, city, and county laws must be checked. If you make one miscalculation in the distance of a school you just lost your right to posses a firearm for ten years.

Not something you want if you are that young. Just something to think about :)

Spade421
07-21-2009, 9:57 PM
Yes I know I've been reading up on it for about a month now and checking maps and distances ect. I don't plan on OC by myself or without a video camera and a voice recording device as well. But I do want to plan an open carry event here in the South bay and plan on informing the local PD about our OC event before assembling.

One only needs to be 18. However it cannot be stressed enough how DANGEROUS open carry can be, especially by yourself.
I can tell you from personal experience that is takes a lot of research to open carry. State, city, and county laws must be checked. If you make one miscalculation in the distance of a school you just lost your right to posses a firearm for ten years.

Not something you want if you are that young. Just something to think about :)

locosway
07-21-2009, 11:19 PM
There's also the maturity issue. While you may be mature for your age, you WILL change a lot in the next 5 years. Cops will play into your young age and so may everyone else, which will likely make your OC just that much harder.

I'm a firm believer in having people do what they want, as that's the joy we have in this country. On the other hand discretion is sometimes best, especially on such a sensitive issue at this time. My advice is if you're interested in making a statement then wait for a BBQ or picnic get together. Safety in numbers, and you'll get some exposure to being on the edge of the law.

masterbush
07-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Sink your teeth into this

http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/carry/Oceanside-OpenCarry_training_memo-2009-03-12.pdf

Spade421
07-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Thanks that has some good info in it

Sink your teeth into this

http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/carry/Oceanside-OpenCarry_training_memo-2009-03-12.pdf

jazman
07-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Read up about Theseus, he is a very experienced UOCer, knows all the laws and regs. He has done it for a long time for protection of himself, wife and kids as opposed to just goofing around or doing scavenger hunts or such. He now finds himself close to losing a BS case against him that has cost him more than $40,000.00 (!) over the past 8 months or so, and may lose his gun rights for at least 10 years. Than make a decision about UOC.

Jonathan Doe
07-22-2009, 4:37 PM
If you open carry an unloaded gun, LEO may not know if it was loaded or not. It depends on the angle of the grip, light condition, etc. If you carry a revolver, there is no way that an LEO can know if it was loaded or not for sure. Generally speaking, LEO' won't know if the gun was loaded, and take caution approaching you, that may include their guns drawn. Why would you risk yourself like that?

locosway
07-22-2009, 4:46 PM
If you open carry an unloaded gun, LEO may not know if it was loaded or not. It depends on the angle of the grip, light condition, etc. If you carry a revolver, there is no way that an LEO can know if it was loaded or not for sure. Generally speaking, LEO' won't know if the gun was loaded, and take caution approaching you, that may include their guns drawn. Why would you risk yourself like that?

Asking why is a silly question. Why question someone who wants to exercise their rights? The only thing we can do is offer advice and information for the pros and cons of the subject.

Jonathan Doe
07-22-2009, 5:46 PM
Asking why is a silly question. Why question someone who wants to exercise their rights? The only thing we can do is offer advice and information for the pros and cons of the subject.

I understand the rights. I do not intend to stop someone from excersizing their rights. I just asked the question for the safety's sake of the person. I just didn't want them to be misunderstood. If someone calls an LEO for a man with a gun, they will come with guns drawn, most likely.

Spade421
07-22-2009, 6:37 PM
Yes I'm aware of this that is why I said I'm planning on notifiing the local police what where and when were doing and OC meeting.

Also I won't lie I've had guns drawn on me by police multiple times for various reasons and if you don't do anything stupid and listen to every word they say you'll be fine.

Riodog
07-22-2009, 7:59 PM
"Also I won't lie I've had guns drawn on me by police multiple times for various reasons and if you don't do anything stupid and listen to every word they say you'll be fine."

In your dreams!

Most idealists I've met have turned out to be martyr's.
Grow up.
Rio

flatovercrest
07-22-2009, 9:38 PM
Not worth it. Don't do it. All you are going to do is to piss off some cop or worse. Not worth it.

flatovercrest
07-22-2009, 9:46 PM
Read up about Theseus, he is a very experienced UOCer, knows all the laws and regs. He has done it for a long time for protection of himself, wife and kids as opposed to just goofing around or doing scavenger hunts or such. He now finds himself close to losing a BS case against him that has cost him more than $40,000.00 (!) over the past 8 months or so, and may lose his gun rights for at least 10 years. Than make a decision about UOC.

Amen, OC is a lost cause. Right or no right.

sdyeti
07-22-2009, 9:50 PM
Some would have you believe that it is better to do nothing, but if you have a passion in life and it is legal you should do it. This country was not founded by men who were too afraid to stand up for themselves. It is currently overrun by men who live with apathy. They will do nothing and get nothing done. Let them stay home and play armchair generals and whine about how unfair the laws are. Those laws will not change themselves in gun owners favor if action is not taken. LUOC may not be the answer, but a right not exercised is not really a right.

Spade421
07-22-2009, 9:50 PM
hmm must not be in my dreams because I'm still alive and typing this post :rolleyes:.

And I've been held and gun point 3 times.

1st Was with an MP5 look alike airsoft rifle with no orange tip.
2nd Was again with and airsoft pistol again no orange tip

Both of those where when I was younger and stupid learned my lesson tho.

3rd time I was working late at the San Jose Gun Exchange installing new security cameras after the break in and someone called in a possible burglary and about 15+ units + a helicopter responded and I had m16's shot guns and pistols pointed at me coming out from a Gun store that the police thought was being burglarized.

"Also I won't lie I've had guns drawn on me by police multiple times for various reasons and if you don't do anything stupid and listen to every word they say you'll be fine."

In your dreams!

Most idealists I've met have turned out to be martyr's.
Grow up.
Rio