PDA

View Full Version : Accident Report requirement

HotRails
07-21-2009, 6:50 PM
Back in North Carolina, it used to be that any accident where the damage was estimated over 500$, that an accident report was required at the scene. I believe that accident reports assist in insurance investigations and help in taking problematic drivers off the road. Just last weekend I was rear ended and was informed by the CHP that generally only if there are injuries is an accident report taken. He was extremely professional but very understaffed unfortunately. Was this always the case in CA or recently changed due to budget constraints?

Fire in the Hole
07-21-2009, 7:12 PM
Back in North Carolina, it used to be that any accident where the damage was estimated over 500$, that an accident report was required at the scene. I believe that accident reports assist in insurance investigations and help in taking problematic drivers off the road. Just last weekend I was rear ended and was informed by the CHP that generally only if there are injuries is an accident report taken. He was extremely professional but very understaffed unfortunately. Was this always the case in CA or recently changed due to budget constraints?

Were you on private property, or a public highway?

The $ amount has become passe' since many vehicle repairs cost $500 for a brake/taqil lamp assembly.

Ron-Solo
07-21-2009, 8:26 PM
A report is not required, but you are required to notify DMV when the dollar amount reaches a certain limit. It used to be $500 or if there was any injury.

HotRails
07-21-2009, 8:52 PM
Were you on private property, or a public highway?

The $ amount has become passe' since many vehicle repairs cost $500 for a brake/taqil lamp assembly.

I was on the 405 southbound. incentally, 911 was busy I called three times. Good thing I wasnt seriously injure or getting mugged.

retired
07-21-2009, 11:18 PM
When the dollar amount of damage is at least $750, DMV requires a SR1 form within 10 days. It doesn't matter whether the damage amount is to your vehicle or the other party's.

Failure to do so will result in a notice to suspend your CDL. How do I know; well many years ago when I was young (prior to le), I forgot and received the notice.:o I contacted them and immediately sent it out. No suspension thankfully.

HotRails
07-23-2009, 1:00 PM
When the dollar amount of damage is at least $750, DMV requires a SR1 form within 10 days. It doesn't matter whether the damage amount is to your vehicle or the other party's.

Failure to do so will result in a notice to suspend your CDL. How do I know; well many years ago when I was young (prior to le), I forgot and received the notice.:o I contacted them and immediately sent it out. No suspension thankfully.

Thanks I was unaware of this.

retired
07-23-2009, 2:48 PM
Sorry about adding that sentence to your post HotRails, I pushed the wrong button and it didn't come out in a new post.:o I removed it.

In case you didn't see it, I wrote that generally, your insurance co. should send you the form with their part already filled out. I have State Farm and they do that (unfortunately, I know from experience:().

Fire in the Hole
07-23-2009, 6:58 PM
A lot of people get the state SR-1 form requirement form confused with a police collision report. The SR-1 form is always required whether a police report is taken or not if the damage exceeds $750.00. Most people don't even realize that when you go to your insurance agent in person, or do it telephonically, the questions that they are asking you about the collision, are to fill in the blanks on the SR-1 for for you.