View Full Version : What finish?

One Shot, One Dropped
07-21-2009, 6:02 PM
So, I have searched a little, but I wanted to ask you guys this...

I am about 99% sure that I am going to mail off my Kimber Warrior II to be refinished (Frame and Slide), and I was wondering what kind of finish you guys would recommend. I kind of like the dark colors that it already has, but I would be open to trying something new (not chrome though). The main thing I am looking for is an extremely durable and professional finish. I was considering sending it out to Wilson to have it coated with their Armor-Tuff coating, but I wanted to see what other options you guys recommend first.

So, what should I do? (include a picture or two or a link if you can)

Thanks in advance for helping me out!

Black Majik
07-21-2009, 6:13 PM
How about Ionbond?

One Shot, One Dropped
07-21-2009, 6:59 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention this:

Please include the reason(s) you recommend said finish (or any benefits you know of (rust protection, scratch resistant, cosmetics, etc.)). Assume that I don't know much about any of these finishes (that's why I am asking).

So, why would you choose Ionbond, Black Majik?

07-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Melonite because it's scratch and corrosion resistant. IIRC, Melonite is more of a surface treatment and so your original look should be preserved somewhat.

I have been thinking about sending off my Kimber Royal II to be refinished either by Drakes or Coal Creek Armory.

07-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Pink, it goes good with your airsoft guns!

07-22-2009, 5:33 PM
I was going to say chrome. Now I'm stumped.

07-22-2009, 9:55 PM
Go on line and check-out the Robar firearm coatings out of Phoenix. I have a Sig 226 Navy with the Robar NP3 treatment. Best thing I've seen in a while.

It is an extremely smooth, satin like finish which will not rust, it inhibits wear, and the treatment is imbedded into the molecules of the gun metal. It's really much more than a "coating" and is true state-of-the-art technology. The Seals like it a lot. Check into it before you decide.

07-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Go on line and check-out the Robar firearm coatings out of Phoenix...

I take it that I'd have to send in my gun to get this type of finish?

What type of finishes do most local gunsmiths offer and how durable are they?

I'm thinking of having the frame of my 1911 redone in black.

07-22-2009, 11:58 PM
send it to CCR...

07-23-2009, 12:53 AM
send it to CCR...

Not finding it, unless you're referring to Creedence Clearwater Revival. Link?

07-23-2009, 2:49 AM

07-23-2009, 11:29 AM

there you go...

2nd link