PDA

View Full Version : CCW

Fissssh
07-21-2009, 4:42 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Senator Feinstein Opposes Concealed Weapons Amendment

-Amendment would force California to recognize concealed carry permits issued in other states-

Washington, D.C. –U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) today voiced strong opposition to an amendment to the defense authorization bill which would undermine California’s rigorous state standards that regulate who may carry a concealed weapon.

The Concealed Carry Permitting Amendment (#1618), offered by Senator John Thune (R-S.D.), would effectively allow the concealed carry laws of one state to nullify the restrictions on gun possession in other states. It would force California to recognize concealed carry permits issued elsewhere.

“I believe this amendment is reckless,” Senator Feinstein said. “I believe it is irresponsible. I believe it will lead to more weapons and more violence on the streets of our nation. And, of course, if successful, it is another step in a march to remove all common-sense gun regulations all over this land.”

“Concealed weapons laws that work in rural states may not be suitable in urban areas. What’s good for Iowa or Alaska may not be good for California or New York,” Senator Feinstein added.

Senator Feinstein joined Senators Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.), Robert Menendez (D-N.J.), Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), Jack Reed (D-R.I.), Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) and New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine in a news conference to voice their opposition to Senator Thune’s amendment.

California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger also wrote a letter to Senator Feinstein, urging her to vote no on the amendment. (See attachment)

“This is a simple question of protecting California’s ability to determine who is allowed to carry a concealed weapon within our borders,” Gov. Schwarzenegger wrote. “I have consistently supported states’ rights to determine their own fates on a variety of issues. This amendment would trample the rights I have worked hard to protect."

# # #

johnny_22
07-21-2009, 4:57 PM
Guess my email this morning did not help persuade Senator Feinstein.

1BigPea
07-21-2009, 4:59 PM
She's a nut job...

leitung
07-21-2009, 5:08 PM
The gov is just as anti carry and anti gun as the rest of em..

bulgron
07-21-2009, 5:10 PM
I just love the way that Feinstein thinks that California begins and ends with the densely populated locations. The rural parts of this state certainly can't exist in her mind if her sole intention is to keep out of state CCW holders away from California because it's a "urban area."

I think I'm insulted and I live in one of California's urban areas.

Oh, and by the way Diane, it is because I live in an urban area that I need a CCW. There's way more criminals here and unlike you I don't have government-paid security details protecting my sorry butt 24/7. :mad:

cdtx2001
07-21-2009, 5:31 PM
So why is it SHE can have a CCW and not ME???

GoodEyeSniper
07-21-2009, 5:36 PM
Does she still have a CCW, or are her personal bodyguards enough for her? :TFH:

I want to see a press member ask her some tough questions. Something like; "Well I'm sure when YOU carried a concealed weapon you would've liked if the state you traveled to honored California's permit?"

But she was right about one thing, it will undoubtedly lead to more guns on our streets. More guns in the hands of law abiding citizens... Oh wait, we're all just "potential criminals" to the upper class, I guess.

HowardW56
07-21-2009, 5:39 PM

Or mine

Shane916
07-21-2009, 5:41 PM
How is this ***** not dead yet? 76 and counting... eh

CnCFunFactory
07-21-2009, 5:48 PM
I find that I throw up in my mouth a little bit every time she speaks. :puke:

woodsman
07-21-2009, 5:52 PM
The gov is just as anti carry and anti gun as the rest of em..

I was not aware he was so anti gun. Oh well. New election soon.

bodger
07-21-2009, 6:04 PM
Does she still have a CCW, or are her personal bodyguards enough for her? :TFH:

Is it true that there are only 60 CCWs in the entirety of SF County?

Ifticar
07-21-2009, 6:20 PM
When Obama signs this amendment into law, will my Utah CCW permit allow me to carry in my resident state of CA?

locosway
07-21-2009, 6:21 PM
She's obviously never driven from border to border. There's some large cities in a couple areas, and then there's the vast nothingness. Hours upon hours of straight roads. Man, I'm getting sleepy just thinking about it.

locosway
07-21-2009, 6:21 PM
When Obama signs this amendment into law, will my Utah CCW permit allow me to carry in my resident state of CA?

Don't you mean "If"? Biden and Nobama are pretty against the 2a as they've stated before.

Doheny
07-21-2009, 6:23 PM
So why is it SHE can have a CCW and not ME???

She does not have a CCW.

locosway
07-21-2009, 6:27 PM
She does not have a CCW.

I too was under the impression that DiFi and Boxer both had a CCW.

U2BassAce
07-21-2009, 6:29 PM
I too was under the impression that DiFi and Boxer both had a CCW.

DiFi....LOL....did at one time. I don't think Boxer ever had one.

bodger
07-21-2009, 6:38 PM
DiFi....LOL....did at one time. I don't think Boxer ever had one.

Boxer prolly just LOCs around the house whilst scantily clad.:43:

Paladin
07-21-2009, 6:39 PM
This is a good reason to email/call your family, friends, and shooting buds in OTHER states asking them to contact their US senators to get this passed.

PLUS, be sure to post this on the big national forums to encourage other gunnies to get active w/their US senators. That is a LOT more worthwhile than groaning among ourselves.

I'm still going to call Feinstein, Boxer, and now, the Governator just to tell them they don't represent MY views.

She does not have a CCW.

IIRC, as of a couple years ago, she no longer has a CA CCW permit because she got some sort of federal marshall CCW permit. Perhaps someone else who is more up on this can help out.

locosway
07-21-2009, 6:40 PM
Wait, she can get a fed permit, but she wants everything limited?

I'm so sick of these people. I wish I was out of CA, it's not my state.

Smokey510
07-21-2009, 6:43 PM
I just love the way that Feinstein thinks that California begins and ends with the densely populated locations. The rural parts of this state certainly can't exist in her mind if her sole intention is to keep out of state CCW holders away from California because it's a "urban area."

I think I'm insulted and I live in one of California's urban areas.

Oh, and by the way Diane, it is because I live in an urban area that I need a CCW. There's way more criminals here and unlike you I don't have government-paid security details protecting my sorry butt 24/7. :mad:

Just sent an email stating basically that. Lets see if I even get a response that is not automated.

Fate
07-21-2009, 6:44 PM
Boxer prolly just LOCs around the house whilst scantily clad.:43:

ewww....some things cannot be un-thought. :ack2:

woodsman
07-21-2009, 6:54 PM
Just sent an email stating basically that. Lets see if I even get a response that is not automated.

Every response, if I got one from her, has been automated.

jbolton
07-21-2009, 6:57 PM
This is what bugs me. Whats good for her is not good for anyone else. She has a ccw.

bodger
07-21-2009, 6:57 PM
ewww....some things cannot be un-thought. :ack2:

Happy to share.
Be happy I didn't apply the imagery to Di-Fi. You would need shock therapy.:eek:

Maestro Pistolero
07-21-2009, 7:02 PM

No. To carry in your own state, you must have a resident permit. So I could come in from Nevada and carry, but you couldn't carry in CA.

As crazy as that sounds, the outrage that would generate toward CA Government from it's gun owning population would be powerful political capitol that could be spent toward CCW reform.

Fjold
07-21-2009, 7:13 PM
The story I read about the amendment said that it would honor CCWs issued in the person's home state, which would still screw the majority of the people here but I did not see the actual text of the amendment

cactustactical
07-21-2009, 7:14 PM
Jeezzzzze people... It is your right as a Citizen of this Country...

So, Living in Arizona, I could come to California and legaly CCW but you being a resident of the state I am visiting can not legally do the same?

Wow.... ok, makes just perfect sense to me...:banghead:

You all need to move just across the border and commute to work... :)

Invisible_Dave
07-21-2009, 7:30 PM
Not to be a downer but I've decided this is the Republican's way of winning votes on bills they don't want passed. 1)Take a bill that you don't want to pass that has the votes. 2)Publicly insert rider that no dem would vote for (cuz it would be good for the country 3)Watch them not vote for their bill because of the rider. I'd love to have this go through. I hope its not the case but it's what I'm thinking.

otteray
07-21-2009, 7:42 PM
Fräuleins Feinstein, Boxer unt Pelosi only see California as a liberal coastline; from La Jolla to Eureka; full of drugged out Dead Head 60s hippies and (the late) M.J. Disco freaks that can't think for themselves and needing the supreme guidance from our Congress, the elected ruling class.
The rest of Inland California Wasteland, they see as just some farms dotted with contestants for the Jerry Springer Show.
We need to vote them out, a nigh impossible task.

locosway
07-21-2009, 7:43 PM
Und, nicht unt

thatrogue
07-21-2009, 7:44 PM
Not to be a downer but I've decided this is the Republican's way of winning votes on bills they don't want passed. 1)Take a bill that you don't want to pass that has the votes. 2)Publicly insert rider that no dem would vote for (cuz it would be good for the country 3)Watch them not vote for their bill because of the rider. I'd love to have this go through. I hope its not the case but it's what I'm thinking.

well I guess if I'm gonna be raped I would like some lube and a 5th of vodka

locosway
07-21-2009, 7:49 PM

"She cosponsored the law to allow qualified off-duty and retired law enforcement officers to carry firearms and supports allowing local law enforcement officers to carry firearms on airplanes."

How is this safer than normal, law abiding citizens carrying openly or concealed in public? Are normal LEO's training in the art of using firearms on aircraft? Will the LEO's be switching ammo to a safety round for the use on aircraft? Will the LEO's be using a caliber that is not likely to penetrate the aircraft?

I'm all for LEO's having rights, just as I am for average people to have rights. However there's a time and a place for everything, and I don't think an airplane is the place.

Ron-Solo
07-21-2009, 8:10 PM

"She cosponsored the law to allow qualified off-duty and retired law enforcement officers to carry firearms and supports allowing local law enforcement officers to carry firearms on airplanes."

How is this safer than normal, law abiding citizens carrying openly or concealed in public? Are normal LEO's training in the art of using firearms on aircraft? Will the LEO's be switching ammo to a safety round for the use on aircraft? Will the LEO's be using a caliber that is not likely to penetrate the aircraft?

I'm all for LEO's having rights, just as I am for average people to have rights. However there's a time and a place for everything, and I don't think an airplane is the place.

FYI, Federal Air Marshals don't use 'safety round' They use a standard LE hollow point and very few LE handgun rounds would even come close to penetrating the aircraft. LE handgun rounds are designed to expand, not for penetration.

While most LE's don't train specifically on aircraft, we train for crowded and urban conditions where accurate shot placement is essential. We have to complete a specific training course before we can carry on an aircraft, even if on official business.

While I personally disagree with Open Carry for the general public (mainly for tactical & training reasons), I SUPPORT CCW for law abiding citizens with appropriate training.

Maestro Pistolero
07-21-2009, 8:20 PM
There are specific hazards to shooting on an aircraft that must be understood and trained for. Certain trajectories endanger the flight equipment, and other trajectories, not as much. I wouldn't trust anyone with a firearm on a plane, LE or not, that didn't have that training.

locosway
07-21-2009, 8:25 PM
FYI, Federal Air Marshals don't use 'safety round' They use a standard LE hollow point and very few LE handgun rounds would even come close to penetrating the aircraft. LE handgun rounds are designed to expand, not for penetration.

While most LE's don't train specifically on aircraft, we train for crowded and urban conditions where accurate shot placement is essential. We have to complete a specific training course before we can carry on an aircraft, even if on official business.

While I personally disagree with Open Carry for the general public (mainly for tactical & training reasons), I SUPPORT CCW for law abiding citizens with appropriate training.

What's the difference between CCW and OC? Both citizens are armed, wouldn't you rather know who just by looking at the crowd?

Fjold
07-21-2009, 8:33 PM

The thing about it is that there are a lot of blue dog Democrats who will vote for it and the Demo leadership is crapping themselves about it. When Schumer starts talking about fillibustering, you know that they're running scared.

It's funny to hear the Democratic leadership crying about Big Government stomping on State's rights.

phamkl
07-21-2009, 8:38 PM
She makes a reasonable point that what works for Alaska may not work for California. This is true generally speaking but for gun laws applying to non-CA residents it doesn't make any sense.

Assuming that the idea that CCW holders would [for whatever reason] increase gun violence, it's still ridiculous that an Alaskan resident would automatically become a violent person when entering the "big city." Thus, there's no reason an Alaskan resident should be stripped of his or her right to self defense when entering a big city.

rhess595
07-21-2009, 8:41 PM
Fräuleins Feinstein, Boxer unt Pelosi only see California as a liberal coastline; from La Jolla to Eureka; full of drugged out Dead Head 60s hippies and (the late) M.J. Disco freaks that can't think for themselves and needing the supreme guidance from our Congress, the elected ruling class.
The rest of Inland California Wasteland, they see as just some farms dotted with contestants for the Jerry Springer Show.
We need to vote them out, a nigh impossible task.

All the best technical minds, engineers, scientific researchers, professsionals, teachers, athletes, businessmen, musicians, artists, journalists live in that "liberal coastline", kemo sabe.

Yes, rural areas are full of rock solid reliable hard working honest people. But as long as you think you are the only good people on the planet, and constantly trash people who are different from you, you're going to stay a minority. Unfortunately, you'll never figure out that you keep giving them good reasons to dismiss everything you say. And they'll keep taking away my gun rights 'cause most of them could care less. :cool2:

BobB35
07-21-2009, 8:51 PM
What are you kidding? That boat sailed about 20 years ago. A better statement would be all of the best people in CA are moving out of the state en masse and have been for the last 10 years.....come on now you have to realize that there are a lot of places in this country that kick the crap out of CA and people are moving there by the 10 of thousands.....

All the best technical minds, engineers, scientific researchers, professsionals, teachers, athletes, businessmen, musicians, artists, journalists live in that "liberal coastline", kemo sabe.

Yes, rural areas are full of rock solid reliable hard working honest people. But as long as you think you are the only good people on the planet, and constantly trash people who are different from you, you're going to stay a minority. Unfortunately, you'll never figure out that you keep giving them good reasons to dismiss everything you say. And they'll keep taking away my gun rights 'cause most of them could care less. :cool2:

Bob Ragen
07-21-2009, 9:02 PM
The thing about it is that there are a lot of blue dog Democrats who will vote for it and the Demo leadership is crapping themselves about it. When Schumer starts talking about fillibustering, you know that they're running scared.

It's funny to hear the Democratic leadership crying about Big Government stomping on State's rights.

Speaking of Demo leadership, the news media is stating that Harry Reid D-NV is for this bill. Of course he is coming up for re-election in a state that loves its guns. How did he get elected in the first place?

wildhawker
07-21-2009, 9:29 PM
Interesting how you transition from a clear judgement of "all the best" (negating the skills and intelligence of "rock solid reliable hard working honest people" as lesser beings) to a message of open-mindedness.

jbolton
07-21-2009, 9:50 PM
So let me get this straight. If you have a ccw from your state it is good anywhere else except WN, and IL. If you have an out of state ccw it is good anywhere except noted above, and your home state?

rhess595
07-21-2009, 9:57 PM
Interesting how you transition from a clear judgement of "all the best" (negating the skills and intelligence of "rock solid reliable hard working honest people" as lesser beings) to a message of open-mindedness.

Well, I would have thought it was more like do you like the Remington 870 or 700 better. They're both the absolute best, but different.

rhess595
07-21-2009, 10:02 PM
What are you kidding? That boat sailed about 20 years ago. A better statement would be all of the best people in CA are moving out of the state en masse and have been for the last 10 years.....come on now you have to realize that there are a lot of places in this country that kick the crap out of CA and people are moving there by the 10 of thousands.....
Suit yourself. I ain't movin' nowhere. Nothin beats this weather, and now that there are fewer people crowding the freeways, the commute's even better.

Ifticar
07-21-2009, 10:19 PM
The bill this rider is on is the Defense Appropriations Bill.

bulgron
07-22-2009, 12:41 AM
So let me get this straight. If you have a ccw from your state it is good anywhere else except WN, and IL. If you have an out of state ccw it is good anywhere except noted above, and your home state?

Yes, I think that pretty much sums it up.

I'm a bit nervous about it because it gives the freaking Dems in Sacramento one more reason to want to kill CCW entirely in this state.

N6ATF
07-22-2009, 1:08 AM

One cannot persuade evil except to do more evil. Feinstein represents criminals, nothing more.

otteray
07-22-2009, 4:53 AM
Und, nicht unt

You are correct, thank you.

bboyin4food
07-22-2009, 6:47 AM
I hear the probability of this bill passing is pretty high. its being heavily backed by the NRA and its riding on a pretty important funding bill. exciting! hopefully this would allow me to carry with a Utah non-resident CCW permit even though my home state is california. has anyone seen the actual document?