PDA

View Full Version : I'm inheriting some handguns from my grandfather

Agro
07-21-2009, 3:04 PM
My grandfather died in in 2007. My grandmother is now in assisted living and my mother was cleaning out her house. While she was cleaning she said she found a few handguns that my family wants me to have (I'm the only one in to firearms thankfully). They don't know anything about guns, so they simply told me on the phone that there are a few 'guns'. So I wouldn't push it much more, but somethings better than nothing, right?

So I am 31, clean record of course, own an AR-15, etc. What will I have to do to take possession of these? For all I know there is a long rifle too, but beats me. Since these are an inter-family transfer can I simply fill out some form and mail it in? Do I need to DROS these? Can I simply go pick them up and bring them home? Whats the deal? Thanks again feller CG'ers.

rkt88edmo
07-21-2009, 3:04 PM
What state is your grandmother in?

Greg-Dawg
07-21-2009, 3:05 PM
First tell us what guns they are....hmmm...

aplinker
07-21-2009, 3:05 PM
If your grandmother is in CA she can gift them to you directly.

All handguns need to be registered via the voluntary registration for.

You can take possession immediately.

If she's not, then you'll need to FFL transfer.

Fjold
07-21-2009, 3:21 PM
First, get a Handgun Safety Certificate/Card. You need to have one to take possession of any handguns.

Agro
07-21-2009, 3:27 PM
California. I am in San Diego, they are in Orange County. I dont have the cert, so yeah I will go in to the shop by me and take the exam. I know for a fact my grandfather had a revolver. No idea yet what the others are... we'll see.
So I can then pick these up and then mail in the form (of course after I have the cert).

Thanks

586L-Frame
07-21-2009, 4:06 PM
Here is the HSC Study Guide.

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/hscsg.pdf

586L-Frame

Fjold
07-21-2009, 4:41 PM
After you get your HSC, pick up the guns and send in this form with a $19 check.
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

windsheer
07-21-2009, 6:59 PM
IF you can't pass the HSC test the first time with out studying please don't get a handgun. I have never ever seen anyone fail the test .

Agro
07-21-2009, 8:03 PM
IF you can't pass the HSC test the first time with out studying please don't get a handgun. I have never ever seen anyone fail the test .

I have been shooting handguns for years. I read over the manual online multiple times. I assembled my AR by myself. I have more than half a brain, I just haven't purchased a handgun so I haven't bothered to get the cert. I remember earlier this year looking at the example test online and the questions were beyond pathetic how one answer was so obviously correct. I planned on purchasing in 2010 after I buy my house, but this inheritance just fell in my lap.

So I'll go get that out of the way in the next week or so and then swing by, pick up the guns, and send in that form with the payment. I'll go read the fine print of that PDF link before then and make sure I cover my ***.

Thanks for the 411 people.

Agro
08-12-2009, 10:26 PM
So I did get my HSC and then picked up the 38 special from my grandmother. This is nothing special at all, but hell it was free. So I am looking at this handgun and I can't see a serial number on it anywhere. It says "Detective Spec" on the muzzle. I looked all over this damn thing, nothing I can find. Would it be under the grip covers? Why? And to state the obvious, there is no spot where it was filed off.

So what steps do I take now?

hybridatsun350
08-12-2009, 10:37 PM
What kind of revolver is it? That might help us figure out serial number location.

HCz
08-12-2009, 10:41 PM
some smith & wessons have serial numbers at the bottom of grip.

hybridatsun350
08-12-2009, 10:42 PM
some smith & wessons have serial numbers at the bottom of grip.

Yea, I was going to say there or inside the yoke.

HCz
08-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Yea, I was going to say there or inside the yoke.

That's another place I forgot. Since Agro said Detective special, I'm betting Colt.

Agro
08-12-2009, 10:56 PM
What kind of revolver is it? That might help us figure out serial number location.

It is s a Colt.
Reads the following on left side of the barrel

DETECTIVE SPEC
.38 SPECIAL CTG

Reads the followong on right side of the barrel
COLT'S PT.F.A. MFG. CO.
HARTFORD CONN. U.S.A.

It can't be THAT old. Near the handle there appears to be a laser engraved little colt on the gun itself.

No markings on the bottom of the handle
No markings inside by the cylinder.

EDIT: Found it. Yes, it was inside the yoke-to-frame arm. Thank you all!

hybridatsun350
08-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Have you pulled the grips off? Oh, and you need to post some pictures ASAP! :D

Agro
08-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Here's a simple photo from my phone. Nothing special, but like I said - free, so why not.
http://www.farturator.com/amg/COLT.jpg

hybridatsun350
08-12-2009, 11:07 PM
That's a nice little gun! I sure wouldn't be complaining! :)

Agro
08-12-2009, 11:10 PM
That's a nice little gun! I sure wouldn't be complaining! :)

I almost did :)
So I am my fathers only Son and my father is my Grandfathers only Son. My aunt was cleaning out his house and found 3 handguns. Keeping the guns in the family and going to the next male in line (my Dad doesn't want them) my Dad asked for them to go to me. So I show up and this is what I get. Just one... And I am told that one of the others was in a nice velvet case with interchangeable handles, fully polished, just a real work of art that was actually passed down to my grandfather by a great uncle. I guess that one went to my cousin's (a girl) new husband. What's done is done though... oh well.

DCF
08-12-2009, 11:18 PM
So does it almost worth the gas money that you spend?

epic4444
08-12-2009, 11:25 PM
thats a first gen colt detective special in pretty good condition with original grips...thats a rare find if you ask me

Agro
08-12-2009, 11:26 PM
So does it almost worth the gas money that you spend?

Well, it adds to my collection, so like I said I didn't end up *****ing or causing a fuss.

What was a real bummer was my grandfathers pistol that he carried in WWII was lost along the way a few years ago :(

hybridatsun350
08-12-2009, 11:32 PM
So have you checked under the grips for a serial number yet? I want to know when this thing was made!

epic4444
08-12-2009, 11:46 PM
there from the 60's

hybridatsun350
08-13-2009, 12:14 AM
They're from the 60's

???

The Colt Detective Special was introduced in the late 1920's and produced into the 1990's. This is obviously an older one, but I'm curious as to how old.

luchador768
08-13-2009, 12:27 AM
thats a first gen colt detective special in pretty good condition with original grips...thats a rare find if you ask me

+1 A real nice handgun there!

jazman
08-13-2009, 7:08 AM
Man, that is a beauty. Colt DS is an excellent hand gun, and by the looks of it was carried by your Grandfather as opposed to the one you didn't get in some glitzy case. Yours is the better remembrance of your Grandfather in my opinion. A special Special.

BlackDrop50
08-13-2009, 8:11 AM
Nice free handgun

That is pretty shady, sounds like your Aunt might have gaven you the gun of lowest value and kept the more expensive ones for herself! That is messed up!

hybridatsun350
08-13-2009, 9:37 AM
Nice free handgun

That is pretty shady, sounds like your Aunt might have gaven you the gun of lowest value and kept the more expensive ones for herself! That is messed up!

You think that's bad? When my dad passed away, my step mom told me I could pick one gun to keep and she sold the rest! I'll never forgive her for that.... :mad:

Lyte-
08-13-2009, 10:22 AM
I get all of my parents stuff if something happens to them.

We had a family meeting last year and my parents informed my siblings.

I knew for years everything was going to me but they where just officially informed.

It sucks your Aunt took the nicer stuff for her self but if that turns out to be a collectors item then the jokes on her right :43:

Raverous
08-13-2009, 3:22 PM
All handguns need to be registered via the voluntary registration for.

I have nothing to contribute to the discussion but I have to laugh at this. Handguns MUST be registered, using the VOLUNTARY registration? Anyone else see something wrong there?

I keep hearing stories from old timers about the days when you could walk into a place and buy a brand new weapon for $50 and leave with it that day, handgun or rifle, no registration or anything. Iv been born in the wrong time...

Ninja45
08-13-2009, 3:24 PM
Can you find out what the other "gun that got away" is? Curious if it really is more "valuable" than the one you ended up with.

gunboat
08-13-2009, 3:32 PM
Why don't you find out what they are before filling out any paper work ? If none are registered weapons, you can decide your options then --

cryoguy
09-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Thats a good looking gun, and I think the one you got is more memorable. Also I just inherited a Remington Wingmaster 870 16Ga shotgun. There isn't a date on it so I was wondering if I have to dros it or register it? It belonged to my wife's grandfather in which he passed years ago. Her grandmother passed last month so his shotgun went to me. Any help is well appreciated.

caldude
09-15-2009, 2:12 PM
I almost did :)
And I am told that one of the others was in a nice velvet case with interchangeable handles, fully polished, just a real work of art that was actually passed down to my grandfather by a great uncle. I guess that one went to my cousin's (a girl) new husband. What's done is done though... oh well.

Did they just give or transfer that other gun? Aunts and cousins (and especially their husbands) don't qualify for the intra-familial exemption. You might raise this issue to see if you can get it.

patsline74
09-15-2009, 3:54 PM
Thats a good looking gun, and I think the one you got is more memorable. Also I just inherited a Remington Wingmaster 870 16Ga shotgun. There isn't a date on it so I was wondering if I have to dros it or register it? It belonged to my wife's grandfather in which he passed years ago. Her grandmother passed last month so his shotgun went to me. Any help is well appreciated.

I may be wrong, and I'm sure if I am I will be corrected, but I believe you don't need to register long guns or DROS them if it is a PPT. In fact, the intrafamilial transfer specifically says long guns don't need to be listed. Again, not sure, but that was my impression.

cryoguy
09-15-2009, 7:55 PM
Actually sense my wife's grandmother passed it would go to my wifes mother who in turn gave it to my wife so that would make it a perfectly legal inter-family transfer. I will be the one to shoot it. Does this make sense to everyone else?

Blue
09-15-2009, 8:00 PM
I have nothing to contribute to the discussion but I have to laugh at this. Handguns MUST be registered, using the VOLUNTARY registration? Anyone else see something wrong there?

As far as I know you don't have to register it, but things like CCW'ing without a permit go from a possible misdemeanor to an instant felony. Don't quote me on it though. Not all pistols in CA are registered.