PDA

View Full Version : Legality of carrying mace?

TonyNorCal
04-01-2005, 6:35 AM
Hi all,

What's the legality of carrying mace? And, is it legal to carry 'concealed'? I jog out here in Sonoma County and it's not inconceivable one could be confronted with a dog. I'd imagine mace to the face of an animal with highly senstive olfactory system would do the trick. Also, just might be a good thing to have in other circumstances...especially since the odds of getting a CCW in Sonoma County are about like the military adopting pimped out Jennings as their service pistol.

TonyNorCal
04-01-2005, 6:35 AM
Hi all,

What's the legality of carrying mace? And, is it legal to carry 'concealed'? I jog out here in Sonoma County and it's not inconceivable one could be confronted with a dog. I'd imagine mace to the face of an animal with highly senstive olfactory system would do the trick. Also, just might be a good thing to have in other circumstances...especially since the odds of getting a CCW in Sonoma County are about like the military adopting pimped out Jennings as their service pistol.

jmlivingston
04-01-2005, 6:59 AM
It's been years, so I imagine somebody will correct me if my memory serves me poorly. As I recall mace is ineffective on dogs as they don't have tear glands such as we 2-legged critters do, and thats where mace gains its effectiveness from. Pepper spray would be much more effective on dogs, and I believe is what the USPS deliverymen carry. What's really gaining in popularity are blends of the two. A license used to be required to purchase/possess mace, and "concealed carry" is just fine with it. Be careful where you carry it though, I think it's a felony to take it into an airport.

John

icormba
04-01-2005, 7:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jmlivingston:
I think it's a felony to take it into an airport.

John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

funny story... my girlfriend & I went to visit my sister in Hillsboro Oregon last 4th of July. While on the airplane, she told me to remind her to tell me something after we land.
We land and are out of the airport...
"ok, what?"
She pulls pepper spray out of her purse!
DOH!!! she carries it everywhere she goes and just plain forgot to leave it at home! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

code33
04-01-2005, 8:07 AM
Sections 12401-12404 of the Penal Code cover tear gas weapons.

It does not state that concealed carry of any tear gas is prohibited.

Lawful use & posession:

12403.7. Notwithstanding any other law, any person may purchase,
possess, or use tear gas and tear gas weapons for the projection or
release of tear gas if the tear gas and tear gas weapons are used
solely for self-defense purposes, subject to the following
requirements:
(a) No person convicted of a felony or any crime involving an
assault under the laws of the United States, the State of California,
or any other state, government, or country or convicted of misuse of
tear gas under subdivision (g) shall purchase, possess, or use tear
gas or tear gas weapons.
(b) No person who is addicted to any narcotic drug shall purchase,
possess, or use tear gas or tear gas weapons.
(c) No person shall sell or furnish any tear gas or tear gas
weapon to a minor.
(d) No person who is a minor shall purchase, possess, or use tear
gas or tear gas weapons.
(e) (1) No person shall purchase, possess, or use any tear gas
weapon that expels a projectile, or that expels the tear gas by any
method other than an aerosol spray, or that contains more than 2.5
ounces net weight of aerosol spray.

Kestryll
04-01-2005, 9:22 AM
I tried carrying mace for a bit but the head was very heavy and the spikes kept poking me in the leg when I walked. And just try to find a good concealment holster.....

I tend to prefer pepper spray for it's ability to affect animals as well as people although at on point I had a combo spray of pepper, mace and UV dye. I like them but I ended up giving them to friends who wouldn't buy them for themselves.

Here's a question for the spraying crowd, do you prefer the liquid sprays or the foam?

Mark in Eureka
04-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Mace (CN and CS) or common know as teargas is legal for citizen us and carry. The law allowing this has been on the books for about 10 years. Except for poodles it will not affect dogs.

Pepper Spray (OC) is also allowed for personal protections. Works against dogs and almost anything else.

Teargas it an irritant and will cause discomfort to most people if you get it into any senative area. Pepper spray MUST be applied into the eyes, nose or mouth otherwise it is a waste of time and will not work.

I prefer a teargas/pepper spray mix. The best of both worlds.

Mark in Eureka
04-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Foam takes to long to act and give the person sprayed something they can see to use as a weapon. I advised my security officers against using foam. They agreed with me only after the first fight. Their comments were "it just stayed there and had no effect."

And dye was worse because they then got it on their uniforms, and the "subject" tried to sue us for destroyed his clothing. I forbid the use of dye, it is a loser all around. Except for the burning sensation it is like playing with a bottle of ink.

eviioiive
04-05-2005, 5:38 PM
Foam can be scooped off and flung back.....

imported_11Z50
04-05-2005, 6:58 PM
I quite often carry pepperspray (OC) and I can report that it does work quite well on dogs.

In the course of my endeavours it provides me with a concealable less-than lethal option when threatened by miscreant. I never liked Mace when I was an LEO since it often got on the spray-er as much as in got on the spray-ee.

Since in my current situation I don't have access to impact weapons, the escalation of force goes from verbal to OC to lead.

Turbinator
04-06-2005, 6:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kestryll:
I tried carrying mace for a bit but the head was very heavy and the spikes kept poking me in the leg when I walked. And just try to find a good concealment holster..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hah hah! Guess there aren't any other FRP / RPG / DND fans here who can appreciate your joke.. oh well - here's my "laugh" for ya: http://www.calguns.net/laughroll.gif

Turby

imported_Telpierion
04-07-2005, 10:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hah hah! Guess there aren't any other FRP / RPG / DND fans here who can appreciate your joke.. oh well - here's my "laugh" for ya: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a proud DND geek. I thought it was funny too.

imported_dadoody
04-08-2005, 9:42 AM
Mace is legal to carry concealed I believe because it is not lethal. Well....less than lethal - so much so that it is almost non-lethal.

I believe both pepper sprays and "mace" brand/type spray mixes are OK as long as they are....4oz I think. Larger sizes need permits.

I think the MOST effective defense spray is the pepper spray made by FOX LABS. It is unbearable to animals and humans. It is 5.2 Million SCUs. Very very potent stuff. You can get that stuff at selfdefenseproducts.com. Very good stuff.