PDA

View Full Version : Handgun transportation

locosway
07-21-2009, 2:05 PM
I'm looking for ideas on how I can transport my handgun legally in my truck yet have it somewhat accessible if I were to need it.

I currently have a combination safe that I keep under the driver seat. It keeps the gun locked, but its not the fastest to get to if I needed it.

If I built a locking container into my truck within reach of myself would that still be legal?

stix213
07-21-2009, 2:38 PM
Not sure, but the handgun still has to be unloaded in that container. So, what type of slow moving danger are you actually needing protection from that will wait for you to unlock the container and load your handgun? When you add up all the time it will take you to either load your mag or revolver before you are ready to fire, the amount of time spent on retrieving the combination safe under your driver seat is probably a small fraction of the total time.

ke6guj
07-21-2009, 2:41 PM
the gotcha in the PC is that a locked utility or glove box is not an exemption to the concealed handgun regulations. Utiility box is not defined, so a built-in locking container may not give you the exemption you need.

locosway
07-21-2009, 2:53 PM
You never know when you may need a weapon, and granted it may take time to load it, it's still better than having to fish under my seat, try and get the box up to a point where it's open-able, load the gun, and proceed from there. If I were to build in a small gun safe of sorts that replaced my ash tray (which is rather large and would fit my gun already) I suppose that would be misconstrued as a utility box?

Has there been any precedence set for such a setup?

I'm assuming the law for transportation was to discourage drive by shootings, which is silly because criminals don't follow laws. On the other hand it could be argued that it keeps people safe from road rage, but that's invalidated by people having CCW's and not shooting everyone.

offshores
07-21-2009, 3:09 PM
Put it in a lockable gun case (soft or hard case, tool box or tackle box) and have it traveling with you on the passenger seat. Keep the key in the lock or right next to it. Not sure if that is the wisest way to transport, but if you must... Ammo should be in separate container, but can still be within the truck's cab.

Afterburnt
07-21-2009, 3:42 PM
Locked case and unloaded will offer you a defense in court and that is if you have the ammo in the trunk. not much defense from a car jacking huh?

CHS
07-21-2009, 5:20 PM
The absolute best for traveling:

Secure-it handgun safe (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0045006228564a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=secure-it&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1)

I've got one of these and it's awesome. Riding with it on the passenger seat you have as close to instant-access as you can legally get with a handgun in CA. And it's very close to instant-access.

locosway
07-21-2009, 6:49 PM
I was under the impression that the mags could be full and in the same case so long as they're not in the gun.

locosway
07-21-2009, 6:50 PM
The absolute best for traveling:

Secure-it handgun safe (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0045006228564a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=secure-it&sort=all&Go.y=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1)

I've got one of these and it's awesome. Riding with it on the passenger seat you have as close to instant-access as you can legally get with a handgun in CA. And it's very close to instant-access.

I like the security cable...

CHS
07-21-2009, 7:14 PM
I was under the impression that the mags could be full and in the same case so long as they're not in the gun.

That is correct.

And that's what's so nice about the Secure-it. There's room for a 1911 and two fully-loaded 8-rd mags :)

microstencil
07-21-2009, 9:01 PM
There has to be a lock in-between the UNLOADED gun and the ammo.

ke6guj
07-21-2009, 9:09 PM
There has to be a lock in-between the UNLOADED gun and the ammo.per what PC or case law? All the PC and case law I've seen mentioned does not say that the ammo must be locked separately from the gun.

CHS
07-21-2009, 9:15 PM
There has to be a lock in-between the UNLOADED gun and the ammo.

Not true.

The firearm itself must be unloaded. That is the only requirement. Ammo, including ammo inside a magazine can be in the same container sitting right next to the gun.

stix213
07-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Not true.

The firearm itself must be unloaded. That is the only requirement. Ammo, including ammo inside a magazine can be in the same container sitting right next to the gun.

I've read on this forum many times that many LEOs consider a loaded magazine a loaded firearm by itself. Is there any case law or a document from the state that clarifies that a loaded mag is legal?

On the original topic, you could also consider a short pump shotgun. It won't need to be in a locked case in the first place.

Edit: I think I answered my own question here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=103660
Looks like People v. Clark (1996) established that a round has to be in a firing position before the firearm is considered loaded in nearly all circumstances where you are not committing any other crime.