PDA

View Full Version : News Conference Questions

Aldemar
07-21-2009, 12:26 PM
I got into a debate with one of my co-workers over various political issues.

One thing: I contend the questions that Obama, etal receive during a _scheduled_ news conference are submitted in advance. This is why they seem to be able to "think on their feet". Considering they pick the reporters by name I think I'm right.

Anyone know for sure?

AL

Harrison_Bergeron
07-21-2009, 12:28 PM
They call them by name because the white house press corps/core(sp?) is the same people every time, they all know each other.

cousinkix1953
07-21-2009, 12:38 PM
They call them by name because the white house press corps/core(sp?) is the same people every time, they all know each other.
Which has been true for decades. Does old Helen Thomas ga all the way back to LBJ in the 60s? She isn't even an actual new reporters any more, but rather a Hearst columnist who espouses her own opinions on topics of the day.

Press conferences (held with private citizens) often require the questions to be submitted in advance. These are nothing but a dog and pony show for the politician's benifit and a sucker is born every minute...

Rivers
07-21-2009, 12:41 PM
There was a flap about that with Obama just a few weeks ago in a press corp briefing. It was outed that the reporter was late to the briefing because she was being briefed by his staff on what question to ask. Then, when the reporter finally entered the room late, Obama asked her, by name, for her question.

cousinkix1953
07-21-2009, 1:37 PM
There was a flap about that with Obama just a few weeks ago in a press corp briefing. It was outed that the reporter was late to the briefing because she was being briefed by his staff on what question to ask. Then, when the reporter finally entered the room late, Obama asked her, by name, for her question.
I know; but he isn't the first one to try this kind of BS either...

SAN compnerd
07-21-2009, 2:05 PM
You guys are correct, the only difference is Helen Thomas said she had never seen anything like this before and thats saying something since she has been covering the whitehouse for decades now. Here is a youtube vid of her and Chip Reid giving Gibbs he77 for the games the administration is playing with the press and limiting access without prepared questions to a 'town hall'. They are gaming the system but this wont get any press from the MSM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9WjX9oFmjE