PDA

View Full Version : Ammunition Storage Restrictions

IDPA4U
07-21-2009, 11:02 AM
With so many people stocking up on ammo I was wondering if there are specific laws as too how much ammo can be stored or requirements for specific containers after a certain volume. I know Mass has a law with specific round counts but I haven't found anything specific in California. I also didn't see any local ordinances in San Fran or LA. Am I missing something or are the only restrictions the volume of your garage?

tombinghamthegreat
07-21-2009, 11:08 AM
There is no restrictions on ammo. There might some on how much gun powder when it comes to reloading but that is another subject.

M1A Rifleman
07-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Possibly local ordinance, but I don't believe there is a State law. However, there are State Laws regarding smokeless and black powder storage including volumes. I believe these are under the Fire Code.

MrClamperSir
07-21-2009, 9:17 PM
If your worried about storing too much, I'll hang on to your surplus for you!:)

sargenv
07-22-2009, 7:45 AM
I went looking through the state and county fire code and couldn't find the specific law stating maximum limits on powder or primers for anything but a commercial establishment.. There were references to transportation of, but not actual storage. Has anyone found it?

Zin_dawg
07-22-2009, 2:54 PM
There's been a discussion over in Ammo & Reloading

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=203716 (HERE)

Bottom line: From the CA Health and Safety code, 20 lbs of smokeless powder, or 5 lbs of black powder. But, no limit on primers or ammo.

NFPA 495 sets a limit of 10,000 primers (that would allow up to 50lbs of powder, as long as you keep it in a wooden box with 1" walls).

Yankee Clipper
07-22-2009, 4:39 PM
In a residence, 20 pounds of smokeless powder and 10,000 primers. Ammunition may be in some municipal codes but probably lumped under: Storage of Dangerous Chemicals and Products.
Not to preach but we shouldn't store an unsafe anything in our homes that, in the event of fire, would injure others. The liability factor alone, in our litigious society, is huge. The ammunition, powder and primers we do have should be kept (in a perfect world) to a minimum and in safe container/place.

Also see:
NFPA 495
Chapter 11
Small Arms Ammunition and Primers, Smokeless Propellants, and Black Powder Propellants

The reason, I believe, it's easier to find the codified limits on powder/primers: the word 'ammunition' sounds so innocuous when people hear it while 'gun powder' brings visions of explosions people see in the movies & on TV.

motorhead
07-23-2009, 8:16 AM
check you local fire codes.

microstencil
07-23-2009, 8:57 AM
I am sure there will be one sooner or latter just give our elected officals a chance.

:censored:

dixieD
07-23-2009, 10:00 AM
I have a question about what constitutes safe containers for the storage of built ammo, powder and primers. I have mine in original containers, but I wonder if I should be doing something more.

50BMGBOB
07-23-2009, 2:51 PM
I have a question about what constitutes safe containers for the storage of built ammo, powder and primers. I have mine in original containers, but I wonder if I should be doing something more.

Original containers are a start. If you have more than a few pounds of powder you may want to get a powder magazine. I built mine (big enough for 8ea of 8lbs jugs) from 1x8 boards. I used 2x2 boards in the four vertical corners. Nailed together with just a few finishing nails (no heads) so if the powder did cook off it would easily blow out the sides to vent. I lined the inside with sheet-rock for added heat resistance. and store it at ground level. In a fire heat rises and there is a notable difference between the temp at floor level and that of a self up high.

dexter9659
07-23-2009, 3:50 PM
10,000 primers?? That isnt even 1,500 of each kind I need. Large rifle, small rifle, large pistol, small pistol, large military rifle, small military rifle, shotgun. That isnt even counting powder!! 20lbs of powder gets you a keg of 8lb for shotgun, 8lb for a single caliber of rifle, and 4lbs left for whatever else you wish to load. UHG!

Plus what about those people who also use magnum primers too?! Nuts to my powder box, I am just going to make a powder room.