View Full Version : Federal Gun Lock Requirements

07-21-2009, 9:22 AM
I talked to the BATF, specifically to an attorney, regarding the requirements of the CLSA.

(z) Secure Gun Storage or Safety Device.
(1) In general. Except as provided under paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer to sell, deliver, or transfer any handgun to any person other than any person licensed under this chapter, unless the transferee is provided with a secure gun storage or safety device (as defined in section 921 (a)(34)) for that handgun.

I was told that the wording "transferee is provided" means that the FFL has to provide this to the buyer, even though it does not specifically say that. Reading it this way means that the FFL has to provide it and that the buyer can not bring it (unless perhaps the buyer gives the lock to the FFL and then the FFL gives it back with the firearm).

It also means that if the buyer has a safe, it does not count since the FFL did not provide it.

I think that such a reading is stupid and unreasonable, but that is the view of the BATF. Also, the letter that went out about this made mention that this was supposed to be added to the FAQ, yet this has not been done.