PDA

View Full Version : Range shade cover?

blackbok
07-21-2009, 8:10 AM
After the last sunburned trip to Burro, I want to get a shade canopy. Looking for any insight into these as I have no experience. I think a 9' x 9' would work. Had one in my hand at walmart last night, but the canopy material seemed a bit cheap.

Anything I should look for/avoid?

Price IS an issue.

SCMA-1
07-21-2009, 8:30 AM
I got mine long ago from Sportsmansguide but I don't see it any longer. It is an alloy frame 10x10 that is very light but strong. I think the steel framed ones are cheap and tend to break. Mine cost me a mere $60 on sale and it has worked great. I'd pay up to $100 for one.

SCMA-1

rod
07-21-2009, 8:41 AM
I bought one at Big-5 a few years ago. After a few trips to the river, it got all tore up and bent. I took it back to Big-5 and they gave me a brand new one. No questions asked and no paperwork or receipt needed.

Dangerous1
07-21-2009, 11:01 AM
That EZ-up thing at Walmart is VERY durable. I've had one outside our work, tied down, and its been through hell and back for the past 3 years with wind, rain and sun beating down on it. I'd suggest lighter colors. Just don't expect it to be tear resistant.

domokun
07-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Get an EZ-Up. They're a staple of every swim meet I've ever attended as a spectator when I was kid.

blackbok
07-21-2009, 12:30 PM
That EZ-up thing at Walmart is VERY durable. I've had one outside our work, tied down, and its been through hell and back for the past 3 years with wind, rain and sun beating down on it. I'd suggest lighter colors. Just don't expect it to be tear resistant.

Good deal, just wanted to make sure they weren't junk. I noticed they have a few different sizes/prices, which one did you get?

aplinker
07-21-2009, 12:44 PM
My experience: Buy an EZ-up

On trips to Baja, every other shade and several tents were eaten by wind. The EZ-ups all survived.

Dangerous1
07-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Good deal, just wanted to make sure they weren't junk. I noticed they have a few different sizes/prices, which one did you get?

We use the 10x10 and to get more height on it, we added 3' stilts to the legs with a drill and some bolts. But it's more of a permanent fixture for us.

bsim
07-21-2009, 1:13 PM
EZ-UP. There are 2 EZ-UP outlets, see what they have there.

Jimmy Deuce
07-21-2009, 1:15 PM
I seen a EAZY up clone I think 9x9 Clone. At Walmart for $97.

tonelar
07-21-2009, 4:49 PM
a couple clones that exceed EZ up performance are the ($150-$200) Caravan and King 10x10 canopies. They're really built well and have withstood many, many trips to the harshest environments with me.

If price is a factor get a cheaper one from Big5 and prepare to return it when it gets screwed up.

ZakAttackMan
07-21-2009, 5:35 PM
Make sure you tie it or weight it down I've seen the wind throw those things miles away.

zoid52
07-21-2009, 5:41 PM
Those brand name canopies(ez up, ez shade) are next to impossible to put up yourself. I bought one from walmart that uses fiberglass poles that are self contained and very easy to put up.Less than $30.

aplinker
07-21-2009, 5:44 PM
Those brand name canopies(ez up, ez shade) are next to impossible to put up yourself. I bought one from walmart that uses fiberglass poles that are self contained and very easy to put up.Less than $30.

those lasted us the 1st hour of wind.

We saved one (got it down in time), but 2 others were shards of fiberglass.

Yes, you can get it replaced, but it doesn't do you any good when you're out in the sun/wind.

Scratch705
07-21-2009, 5:47 PM
yea i don't trust fiberglass to hold up to winds, esp in a canopy situation.

metal at the least. and good anchors.... cause had a friends canopy get blown over but 1 leg caught on things and the whole thing pivoted on that 1 leg and bent the leg in half.

blackbok
07-21-2009, 6:37 PM
Honestly I don't plan on setting the thing up during an el Nino or in the middle of the sahara in a sandstorm. I will probably take it to burro three times a year and maybe the beach a couple of times in the summer. Something not from the .99 store that will break two minutes into set up, but it doesn't have to survive armegeddon. I'd like to spend ~$60-80.

Big 5 or Walmart it seems.

bsim
07-21-2009, 7:55 PM
I was wrong, there's now 4 outlet stores...

http://www.ezupdirect.com/ezup-outlet-stores.htm

radioburning
07-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Those brand name canopies(ez up, ez shade) are next to impossible to put up yourself.

I use these on jobs every week. Once you get the hang of it you can do it by yourself in your sleep.

They do catch the wind pretty easy! We throw a sand bag or two over the center arms once it's set up to keep them from flying away, or hurting someone.

If you really want to get crazy, you can get cloth "sidewalls" for 'em too, to block out the wind, or that afternoon sun...

packnrat
07-22-2009, 12:56 AM
Big 5 selles the 12X12 easy up for $100.00. great deal. Got two of them.

And yes spike them down and no problems.

Just ask anyone from area 53 shoot.

Scratch705
07-22-2009, 1:25 AM
Honestly I don't plan on setting the thing up during an el Nino or in the middle of the sahara in a sandstorm. I will probably take it to burro three times a year and maybe the beach a couple of times in the summer. Something not from the .99 store that will break two minutes into set up, but it doesn't have to survive armegeddon. I'd like to spend ~$60-80.

Big 5 or Walmart it seems.

when you have a canopy, even a small 5mph gust of wind can take it like a para-sail.

no matter what you buy, make sure to anchor it down properly. or even tilt it into the wind so it doesn't get taken as easily.