PDA

View Full Version : SAFE OC Continues Work to Restore CCW Rights in Orange County

OrangeCountyCCW
07-21-2009, 8:08 AM
Update: The SAFE OC political action committee is moving forward in the battle to elect a pro-CCW Sheriff in Orange County. This week, apart from its event on July 22nd, SAFE OC is co-sponsoring the Orange County Young Republicans' annual "ATF Day" at Evan's in Orange. Attended by 50 to 75 young Republicans, this event will give SAFE OC the opportunity to explain to younger voters who are generally favorably disposed toward gun rights why Appointed Sheriff Hutchens' assault on concealed carry is an assault on public safety. With effort, some of these young voters will form part of the volunteer base for an eventual pro-CCW challenger.

In recent weeks, Hutchens has been garnering a distressing number of endorsements from Republican elected officials who should know better, and who in the past have seemed to support gun rights. Through personal contact, SAFE OC is working hard to stem this tide and prevent any further endorsements of Hutchens from the major Republican donor organizations in the County, as well as any further elected officials.

With the recent reports that Santa Ana Police Chief Paul Walters will not run against Hutchens, SAFE OC is also stepping up its effort to identify and interview potential candidates. Any candidate interested in SAFE OC's support will need to unequivocally and publicly commit to restoring liberal CCW issuance in Orange County -- not merely make vague statements about "following the law." Supporters can rest assured SAFE OC will probe beneath the surface of any candidate's asserted support for CCW to ensure that commitment is genuine and clear, and then share those results with the voting public.

The battle continues, and WE NEED YOUR HELP. There is still time to register for and attend our event tomorrow, or donate if you cannot. Please visit our website or write to info@safeoc.org for more information.

Let's win!

SAFE OC

Maestro Pistolero
07-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Update: The SAFE OC political action committee is moving forward in the battle to elect a pro-CCW Sheriff in Orange County. This week, apart from its event on July 22nd, SAFE OC is co-sponsoring the Orange County Young Republicans' annual "ATF Day" at Evan's in Orange. Attended by 50 to 75 young Republicans, this event will give SAFE OC the opportunity to explain to younger voters who are generally favorably disposed toward gun rights why Appointed Sheriff Hutchens' assault on concealed carry is an assault on public safety. With effort, some of these young voters will form part of the volunteer base for an eventual pro-CCW challenger.

In recent weeks, Hutchens has been garnering a distressing number of endorsements from Republican elected officials who should know better, and who in the past have seemed to support gun rights. Through personal contact, SAFE OC is working hard to stem this tide and prevent any further endorsements of Hutchens from the major Republican donor organizations in the County, as well as any further elected officials.

With the recent reports that Santa Ana Police Chief Paul Walters will not run against Hutchens, SAFE OC is also stepping up its effort to identify and interview potential candidates. Any candidate interested in SAFE OC's support will need to unequivocally and publicly commit to restoring liberal CCW issuance in Orange County -- not merely make vague statements about "following the law." Supporters can rest assured SAFE OC will probe beneath the surface of any candidate's asserted support for CCW to ensure that commitment is genuine and clear, and then share those results with the voting public.

The battle continues, and WE NEED YOUR HELP. There is still time to register for and attend our event tomorrow, or donate if you cannot. Please visit our website or write to info@safeoc.org for more information.

Let's win!

SAFE OC

What is safe OC's ability to contribute financially to such a candidate?

bulgron
07-21-2009, 11:56 AM
In recent weeks, Hutchens has been garnering a distressing number of endorsements from Republican elected officials who should know better, and who in the past have seemed to support gun rights.

I think it's time for California Republicans to stop assuming that California gun owners are going to knee-jerk support them in the future.

8-Ball
07-21-2009, 12:01 PM
What is a real Republican...?

OrangeCountyCCW
07-21-2009, 12:09 PM
SAFE OC is an "unconnected PAC," which means that it is subject to certain FPPC regulations, reporting requirements, contribution limits, and so forth. That is why we have made the investment to hire an independent treasurer, Betty Presley & Associates, which serves as the treasurer for most other Orange County campaigns and political organizations.

SAFE OC will only be able to directly contribute a certain amount to the campaign of any challenger ($1,700.00 per election cycle). However, SAFE OC can certainly hold or co-sponsor fundraisers for that candidate, urge its own supporters to contribute directly to the candidate, and most importantly of all, engage in independent expenditures in opposition to Hutchens and in support of another candidate.

SAFE OC has been extremely successful in fundraising so far and is building its war chest. But Hutchens is being just as aggressive. The hope of defeating her lies with current and former CCW holders being willing to invest at least as much in opposing her as they invested in obtaining their permits and firearms in the first place.

CHS
07-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Why Evans? That guy has shown himself to be so anti-civilian when it comes to guns.

Screw him and his store.

N6ATF
07-21-2009, 12:31 PM
"ATF Day"?

LMFAO

/groan

7x57
07-21-2009, 12:34 PM
I think it's time for California Republicans to stop assuming that California gun owners are going to knee-jerk support them in the future.

Good point, but isn't that kind of the point of what they're doing?

7x57

GJJ
07-21-2009, 2:15 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But, if there is not a candidate already committed to run against that evil b*tch, we have lost. It is pretty late.

Evan's - WTF? That guy is a tool.

lobonegro
07-21-2009, 2:42 PM
-1000 Evan's and his welded mag AR15

OrangeCountyCCW
07-21-2009, 2:57 PM
First, please, can we keep comments on Evan's out of this thread? I am not denying the validity of anyone's experiences, but EGSW has been exceptionally accommodating to the OCYR and that is all that matters in this instance.

Second, it is not "pretty late" to have a candidate emerge to challenge Hutchens. The election is next year. Haste makes waste. We have already seen two mistakes made by parties attempting to latch onto a "preferred" candidate too early, without properly vetting them for (a) their stance on CCW and (b) their willingness to actually run for office.

It is for precisely these reasons that SAFE OC has not latched onto some candidate but worked first to educate and lobby for Hutchens' censure, build a base of support, and fundraise. We will continue to interview potential candidates and will support the one who is strongest on the CCW issue.

CHS
07-21-2009, 3:18 PM
First, please, can we keep comments on Evan's out of this thread? I am not denying the validity of anyone's experiences, but EGSW has been exceptionally accommodating to the OCYR and that is all that matters in this instance.

I disagree.

If we're going to have 2A support, we're going to need 2A support.

1.) Calling it ATF day? That's almost offensive. The ATF doesn't give a damn about the 2A and does all it can to hassle and drive gun stores out of business.

2.) You want peoples support? Get it out of Evans. That guy doesn't support a 2A either. He views civilian firearms ownership as a privilege, not a right.

Get this away from Evans, replace ATF with NRA, and you might gather a lot more support.

OrangeCountyCCW
07-21-2009, 3:48 PM
I disagree.

If we're going to have 2A support, we're going to need 2A support.

1.) Calling it ATF day? That's almost offensive. The ATF doesn't give a damn about the 2A and does all it can to hassle and drive gun stores out of business.

2.) You want peoples support? Get it out of Evans. That guy doesn't support a 2A either. He views civilian firearms ownership as a privilege, not a right.

Get this away from Evans, replace ATF with NRA, and you might gather a lot more support.

OK, I think you've misunderstood. SAFE OC is co-sponsoring the Orange County Young Republicans annual event in which they celebrate: (1) firearms; (2) tobacco (cigars); and (3) alcohol, in that order. SAFE OC had no input into the selection of the venue. OCYR has always held their event at Evan's. This isn't an endorsement of Evan's over different ranges.

As for the name, again, it is the OCYR that for many years has called its event "ATF Day" -- precisely to poke fun at that oppressive government entity. It is a classic example of fighting back by doing what your adversary doesn't want you to do. It is the OCYR's way of saying, "we will celebrate these things you seek to destroy by doing them openly and turning your name from a source of fear into a laughingstock."

Look, this is exactly the sort of decision-point a PAC or other organization faces. Do we refuse an opportunity to co-sponsor another organization's celebration of shooting simply because some people might disagree with the name or location, or do we realize this is a great opportunity to get 50-75 young conservatives ENERGIZED AGAINST HUTCHENS? We chose the latter.

CHS
07-21-2009, 5:17 PM
OK, I think you've misunderstood. SAFE OC is co-sponsoring the Orange County Young Republicans annual event in which they celebrate: (1) firearms; (2) tobacco (cigars); and (3) alcohol, in that order. SAFE OC had no input into the selection of the venue. OCYR has always held their event at Evan's. This isn't an endorsement of Evan's over different ranges.

I didn't misunderstand anything. You failed to explain the event in this kind of detail :)

While I can't stand Evans, this sounds a lot better when put this way. Not all of us are OCYR's, so we don't know what their event is about.

Next time you might want to be a LITTLE more clear ;)

Liberty1
07-21-2009, 5:27 PM
I didn't misunderstand anything. You failed to explain the event in this kind of detail :)

While I can't stand Evans, this sounds a lot better when put this way. Not all of us are OCYR's, so we don't know what their event is about.

I actually thought they were talking about alcohol, tobacco, and firearms (but that is where my mind goes when I see ATF). Maybe they should have asked who was bringing the chips to be more clear (that's potato chips, not Ponch and Jon:p ;)) :)

and thanks for hooking me up at your day job today it was good to see the operation in full swing (see ya in 10 -24 hr periods)!!

BSzEmPEnYxo

OrangeCountyCCW
07-21-2009, 6:10 PM
Deal. :-) I guess this goes to prove that no matter how clear one thinks they are, they can always be more clear!

Wish us luck that this event helps us educate some of the leading young Republicans as to the importance of CCW to public safety and the absolute atrociousness of what Hutchens has done.

U2BassAce
07-21-2009, 7:26 PM
Second, it is not "pretty late" to have a candidate emerge to challenge Hutchens. The election is next year. Haste makes waste. We have already seen two mistakes made by parties attempting to latch onto a "preferred" candidate too early, without properly vetting them for (a) their stance on CCW and (b) their willingness to actually run for office.

Curious.........details please?

GJJ
07-22-2009, 3:11 AM
The earlier poster was right, not clear communication at all.

I don't care what your reasoning is, get as far away from EVAN as possible. The guy is universally hated. I would not step a foot in his gun shop.

You have already made the classic Republican mistake - you are trying to play compromise politics. That is why the Republicans are dinosaurs. They don't get it. Support will come when Republicans start standing for principles without the game playing.

Evan? What the heck were you thinking? More Republicans playing games. If I have to be his buddy to get CCW, I don't want it. Besides, our only real hope at this LATE stage is in the courts via incorporation.

OrangeCountyCCW
07-22-2009, 7:11 AM
If we're going to defeat Hutchens, we need to refocus here.

SAFE OC is co-sponsoring a shooting event that a lot of young voters are going to attend. Again, we had no control over the location or the name. Consider this hypothetical: If a Young Women Voters group had invited SAFE OC to come explain the CCW issue to them at their monthly meeting, but their meeting happened to take place on the grounds of a notably anti-gun company, would we refuse to participate simply because of the location? Of course not. We would see this as an opportunity to educate some voters so that we could DEFEAT HUTCHENS.

I'm asking again that this thread not be about a particular range or gun shop. It is about SAFE OC networking with other County political organizations to educate them about Hutchens' atrocious assault on CCW.

Nobody has to be Evan's buddy to get a CCW. But I will tell you this -- we keep arguing about minutiae and no one is going to be able to get a CCW if Hutchens is reelected in 2010.

The earlier poster was right, not clear communication at all.

I don't care what your reasoning is, get as far away from EVAN as possible. The guy is universally hated. I would not step a foot in his gun shop.

You have already made the classic Republican mistake - you are trying to play compromise politics. That is why the Republicans are dinosaurs. They don't get it. Support will come when Republicans start standing for principles without the game playing.

Evan? What the heck were you thinking? More Republicans playing games. If I have to be his buddy to get CCW, I don't want it. Besides, our only real hope at this LATE stage is in the courts via incorporation.

GJJ
07-22-2009, 7:39 AM
You don't get it. You didn't have to get in bed with Evan. You had a choice. The process is as important as the product.

This election is not our only hope. Winning the legal battles for incorporation will mean our rights are never going to be in the hands of one person ever again. This is far superior to begging for our rights with the sheriff of the month.

6172crew
07-22-2009, 8:06 AM
You guys are killing the meesenger. If you don't like the location you should show up and speak with the folks who picked the location. I'm sure OC would change the location if 60 CalGunners showed up with a better idea, crapping here probably won't get it done.

GJJ
07-22-2009, 8:20 AM
Duplicate

GJJ
07-22-2009, 8:26 AM
He is not an neutral messenger. He is the advocate for a plan that is late and aligned with the wrong people.

She will be the next sheriff.

The whole approach of hand picking dozens of sheriff over this huge state is an outdated strategy. It is all about the courts and incorporation now.

Even the title of the thread is flawed. Hand picking a sheriff can at best get you a temporary cww privilege. No rights would be restored. Only the courts can acknowlege ccw as a right under the constitution.

CHS
07-22-2009, 8:53 AM
You guys are killing the meesenger. If you don't like the location you should show up and speak with the folks who picked the location. I'm sure OC would change the location if 60 CalGunners showed up with a better idea, crapping here probably won't get it done.

^^^^^THIS.

Now that this event has been explained in more detail, I understand that Evans was not a choice for SAFE OC, and I'm fine with that.

As was already explained, the OC Young Republicans have been doing this event for a few years at Evans already. If you're not an OCYR then you had no idea. I know I didn't :)

I will not be able to attend this event due to scheduling conflicts, but if I could I would go and I would take 6172's advice. I would also advise that if you can go, you SHOULD, and talk to the OCYR's about why you think their choice of venue is a bad idea.

glbtrottr
07-22-2009, 9:58 AM
Until a candidate is announced that we can rally behind, it's a waste of time and money...methinks...

smokingloon
07-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Until a candidate is announced that we can rally behind, it's a waste of time and money...methinks...

so we should sit on our *** until someone steps up? Atleast Safe OC is being proactive and putting forth the effort to unseat the current sheriff instead of complaining about it on a forum.

glbtrottr
07-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Not the point.

I think we need to get a candidate out in front. Sh*t or get off the pot.

OrangeCountyCCW
07-23-2009, 8:45 AM
BREAKING NEWS:

The SAFE OC Political Action Committee's event, "Come Meet YOUR NRA," held last evening at On Target Range in Laguna Niguel, was a resounding success. Over thirty-five CCW supporters attended, and Ed Worley (NRA Institute for Legislative Action) and Paul Payne (Assistant to Wayne LaPierre) graciously flew down from Sacramento for the event. Those who attended received critical information about Hutchens' assault on law-abiding citizens, learned about the NRA's efforts in California, and enjoyed a "fun shoot" supervised by instructor TJ Johnston. The event raised a substantial amount of money that will be used to defeat Hutchens.

A special and unexpected guest was former Sheriff's Lieutenant and Chief of Police of San Clemente, Bill Hunt. Lt. Hunt announced his candidacy for Sheriff of Orange County, and shared his views on CCW with the group. After the event, SAFE OC met with Hunt and confirmed that if elected, he will issue to any person who meets the age and residency requirements, is not in a prohibited category, and undergoes the required training, with "personal safety" alone as sufficient "good cause." Hunt has released the following written statement on CCW:

"I will issue concealed weapons permits (CCW) to any applicant who is a law abiding resident of the county, meets state mandated requirements and is not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. There have been less than 1200 issued CCWs in a county of 3 million. The majority have been given to reserve police officers, judges, prosecutors and to reward political supporters. I will depoliticize the process and establish an annual audit to review each application to ensure the process is unbiased, non-political and equitable."

On this basis, the board of SAFE OC UNANIMOUSLY voted to endorse Bill Hunt's candidacy for Sheriff of Orange County and to make the maximum contribution to his campaign.

Hunt informed us that his website, www.billhuntforsheriff.com, is being completely revamped and will be back up in a week.

SAFE OC calls upon all supporters of CCW in Orange County to rally behind Hunt, attend his event in Huntington Beach on August 1 (http://www.allsafedefense.com/images/MackHuntFlyer8-1-09sm.pdf) and do their utmost to support Hutchens' defeat. Please visit www.safeoc.org and make the greatest contribution you are able. Thank you.

smokingloon
07-23-2009, 9:38 AM
Not the point.

I think we need to get a candidate out in front. Sh*t or get off the pot.

So now that a candidate is announced. I guess you will be donating your time and money. :rolleyes: